E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Prototype Intake Contruction for 330.. Pics!!

12-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
330what
Private
Rep
Drives: 330I

Prototype Intake Contruction for 330.. Pics!!

advanced FLOW engineering, afefilters.com is using my car for there intake design on the new 330I. Thought I would share some pics on how the design and things are going. This is a prototype, so not eveything is finale. The tube was being made so theres no pictures of that. I will post dyno results and pictures of the 100% complete project. Check it out!!

Last edited by 330what; 07-06-2006 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #2
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Hmm. I'd be interested in your numbers after installation. But somehow I doubt you will acheive anything more than a nominal increase in HP.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
thats looking pretty good. cant wait to see the finish product.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
Ed_330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

well, at least this custom mod is better than that SHITTY exhaust thread one.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
330what
Private
Rep

A couple more pics of tube and part in the 3d model maker!

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
petefalzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d E90

seems like a lot of work for little (if any) benefit.
      12-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #7
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

im definitely not the most mechanically inclined on this thread, so hopefully you guys could help me out.
Why arent these arftermarket units repositioned to suck up the air towards the bottom of the car, instead of just hanging out right next to the engine. i see there is a little metal box to keep the heat out, but does that work better then a tub to suck up the air at the bottom.
Im coming from the honda/acura family, so thats what im used to
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #8
shadye90
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Fanatic

Garage List
As posted in the other thread regarding my K&N filter replacement, I discovered that the E90 airbox actually houses 2 filters..one that you normally take out to replace and one built into the housing..looks like the second one is to filter out additional crap to preserve the Mass airflow meter..so i'm gonna say that by installing a TRUE cold air intake(like the ones that M MOTOTWERKS.com sells for the e46 etc..) along with a filter heatshield box it should make some decent HP increases since they will eliminate the second filter...

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 11:35 AM   #9
Sho
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6-speed

Looks interesting. Would it be also for 325i?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Looks like modding for the sake of modding. I personally donīt think the 330 intake can be significantly improved upon.
      12-12-2005, 06:07 AM   #11
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadye90
As posted in the other thread regarding my K&N filter replacement, I discovered that the E90 airbox actually houses 2 filters..one that you normally take out to replace and one built into the housing..looks like the second one is to filter out additional crap to preserve the Mass airflow meter..so i'm gonna say that by installing a TRUE cold air intake(like the ones that M MOTOTWERKS.com sells for the e46 etc..) along with a filter heatshield box it should make some decent HP increases since they will eliminate the second filter...
The second part you are seeing in the stock airbox actually is not a filter but an aerodynamic device. Itīs there to streamline the air going to the MAF and thereby increase the accuracy of the MAF. Getting rid of it will DECREASE the accuracy of the MAF and therefore net you a loss in efficiency of the engine.

Better not to mess with things you donīt understand. Anybody care to mod the intake on an airplane engine ?
      12-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #12
330what
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
The second part you are seeing in the stock airbox actually is not a filter but an aerodynamic device. Itīs there to streamline the air going to the MAF and thereby increase the accuracy of the MAF. Getting rid of it will DECREASE the accuracy of the MAF and therefore net you a loss in efficiency of the engine.

Better not to mess with things you donīt understand. Anybody care to mod the intake on an airplane engine ?
From my understanding, that second filter is a hydro carbon trap filter. It is used for emissions and chokes the air going into the engine.

The prototype tube is done and installed on the car. It hasnt been dyno'd as of yet but there is a noticable increase in power!! I will keep you posted!! More pictures to come....
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 01:05 PM   #13
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330what
From my understanding, that second filter is a hydro carbon trap filter. It is used for emissions and chokes the air going into the engine.
Then it has quite a different function than the one on the E46. Could you post a picture of the second filter to clear things up?

BTW, has anyone yet cared to compare the Euro spec 330 intake with the US spec?

Turns out, the filter housing and the filter are completely different. The Eurospec actually uses a round filter element while the US spec has a sqaure element. The housings are quite different too.

Yet the engines hp output and torque curves are almost identical.
      12-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #14
shadye90
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Actually i beg to differ...The secondary filter actually resembles more of an in cabin microfilter than a "aerodynamic device" that you incorrectly assumed..What you are trying to refer to is a venturi plate or panel which this secondary filter has no resemblence to..I have built countless Honda Dohc Vtec motors that have been used on the drag strip as well as the circuit which rev up to over 9500 rpm's so i think i know a thing or two about airflow..so hows about the next time BEFORE you try to make a smart ass comment towards someone get your facts straight..

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #15
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Edit:
Deleted my question answered it myself.

Edit2: Have you considered making the heat shoud out of plastic like the tube or another composite? Might insulate it from the engine heat a bit better than the metal. Just a thought. Looks nice otherwise, Would come down to Price/Performance though, doubt it would be worth it for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Actually i beg to differ...The secondary filter actually resembles more of an in cabin microfilter than a "aerodynamic device" that you incorrectly assumed..What you are trying to refer to is a venturi plate or panel which this secondary filter has no resemblence to..I have built countless Honda Dohc Vtec motors that have been used on the drag strip as well as the circuit which rev up to over 9500 rpm's so i think i know a thing or two about airflow..so hows about the next time BEFORE you try to make a smart ass comment towards someone get your facts straight..

How about this..Unless you track the car a CAI on a BMW is an absolute worthless mod that delivers mediocre results for the $$ paid.

The "high flow" filter will allow more dirt into the engine and could cause problems with the MAF sensor.

If 1940's air filter technology was soo great don't you think manufacturers would still be using it today?

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #17
shadye90
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
How about this..Unless you track the car a CAI on a BMW is an absolute worthless mod that delivers mediocre results for the $$ paid.

The "high flow" filter will allow more dirt into the engine and could cause problems with the MAF sensor.

If 1940's air filter technology was soo great don't you think manufacturers would still be using it today?

well you also gotta keep a few things in mind..they dont put filters like than into mass production cars for several reasons..one being that it produces more noise..the general public that buys BMW's want a quiet and refined car. Two, its not cost effective...the difference between a regular paper filter and a high flow filter can be as minimal as lets say..one dollar..but if you multiply a dollar by the millions of cars BMW sells thats Millions of dollars spent extra for people who could care less..there are many other reasons as well but these are the two most basic reasons why they dont put filters like K&N's into mass production cars...It has nothing to do with the age of the technology...your basic internal combustion engine was developed over 100 years ago..

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 01:08 AM   #18
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:

Relax my friend. I was thinking it must be similar to the construction of the E46 intake where what might be considered a secondary filter really is an aerodynamic element. Thatīs why I was asking for a pictrue of this filter to verify.
Interestingly enough, I wasnīt able to find any hint of that secondary filter in the ETK. Not for the US spec, not for the Eurospec.

So Iīd really like to see that filter myself. I would even take my Euro 330 filter box apart to check if I have it, If it werenīt so bloody cold outside currrently
      12-13-2005, 06:04 AM   #19
shadye90
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Relax my friend. I was thinking it must be similar to the construction of the E46 intake where what might be considered a secondary filter really is an aerodynamic element. Thatīs why I was asking for a pictrue of this filter to verify.
Interestingly enough, I wasnīt able to find any hint of that secondary filter in the ETK. Not for the US spec, not for the Eurospec.

So Iīd really like to see that filter myself. I would even take my Euro 330 filter box apart to check if I have it, If it werenīt so bloody cold outside currrently
Like i said..the secondary filter is actually incorporated into the housing itself which also incorporates the mass airflow sensor housing..If i get a chance I will take apart my filter housing again and take a few snapshots...If you look up the filter housing on Realoem.com the asking price for this housing is over $300...

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #20
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

The Euro spec box is even 430$

I wonder whatīs so expensive about that box....
      12-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #21
shadye90
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The Euro spec box is even 430$

I wonder whatīs so expensive about that box....
Probably because of that damn secondary filter and the fact that it also houses the mass air sensor..not to mention its also made by BMW

1988 E30 M3
Diamantschwartz/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2005, 01:15 PM   #22
RichP
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Umm..that intake is going to draw hot air from the engine bay, what is the point?

Like I have posted before, the E90 frnt end is completely sealed; its not like the E46 where you can draw air from behind the headlight.
Appreciate 0