E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Windshield Replacement Recommendation

04-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92-SG-335i

Windshield Replacement Recommendation

I got a cracked windshield beyond repair the other day on the freeway. I'm going threw insurance to have replaced (OEM GLASS) but was wondering if anyone can possibly recommend a competent shop that you have dealt with that can perform the replacement for me. I know some say just take it any place because it's just removing the old and installing the new but I have friends/family that have taking it anywhere with very bad results. I Thought about the dealer but I've heard most just out source the work and charge a premium. Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

So if you're going through insurance(Paid a deductible right?) why are you worried about dealership prices?
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
So if you're going through insurance(Paid a deductible right?) why are you worried about dealership prices?
Because if dealership prices are excessive insurance will only cover so much and the rest will have to come out of pocket. Done some searching online and from what I've read people are quoting around $1000 - $1300 from the dealer which I doubt my insurance will go for. Since most dealers don't even perform work in house I figure why even bother if they're just the middle man.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well the dealer usually has a body shop that is certified by BMW(usually an extension of the dealership located nearby). Who is your insurance provider? I had to go in for body damage and paid for the deductible and there wasn't an issue, especially since the collision center was part of insurer's network of approved shops.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well the dealer usually has a body shop that is certified by BMW(usually an extension of the dealership located nearby). Who is your insurance provider? I had to go in for body damage and paid for the deductible and there wasn't an issue, especially since the collision center was part of insurer's network of approved shops.
Allstate
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Did you check the bodyshop network to see if BMW's collision center is part of it? I'm with Liberty Mutual so there's never a concern where body damage is concerned.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #7
!LEFTCOAST!
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you check the bodyshop network to see if BMW's collision center is part of it? I'm with Liberty Mutual so there's never a concern where body damage is concerned.
No, This just happened yesterday evening and spoke with Allstate this morning so I haven't done much yet. I'll have to wait until Monday but I'll look into that. Thanks......
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LEFTCOAST! View Post
No, This just happened yesterday evening and spoke with Allstate this morning so I haven't done much yet. I'll have to wait until Monday but I'll look into that. Thanks......
Ah, ok. Well as far as the law is concerned, you don't have to get multiple quotes so if they tell you to do it, don't waste your time. You can also pick whatever shop you want as well according to that same law. Good luck!
Appreciate 0