E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > [turb0mike] Need Help with Douchey LA Cop!!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
turb0mike
turb0mike's Avatar
71
Rep
2,709
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i Racecar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [4.45]
[turb0mike] Need Help with Douchey LA Cop!!!

[Story also in Cali section but want bigger audience]

So, long story short...

Pulled out of westwood In'n'out and made a right onto LeConte and then an immediate left onto Broxton. As I was making a right (in my BMW) I saw a Police officer who had stopped another car across the street. At that point in time the lady had just handed him some papers (assuming registration). As I make a right the cop (younger) zipped his head around and gave me a mad-dog look. I didn't think much of it and just head down broxton...

I happen to peek in my review mirror and see him running to his car and making an illegal U-turn. I'm like, o great what the fuck. He follows me down broxton to a stop sign, where I stop and ask my buddy "why the hell is he following me? I already have a fix it ticket for my exhaust, this is ridiculous." I make an immediate right onto Kinross Ave, then wait at a light and turn left on Gayley, where after about 100 yards he puts on his sirens...



At this point I'm like "ok whatever, I will just get my fix it ticket out of my glove box." He comes up saying "put your hands on the wheel. I have my gun unholstered." What? You seriously think I'm going to pull something on you? Common bro. I then proceeded to say that I was just getting my fix it ticket because you most likely pulled me over for my exhaust. He paused and then responded "You rolled the stop sign on Broxton." ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?! Why would I roll a stop sign when a cop is directly behind me...

At this point I'm fuming. He also has the nerve to call in a backup officer who is an old fart. I'm talking shit on the cop (no profanity) when the fat cop comes to my window. He then proceeds to ask me if I do any racing... WTF??? I told him yes, around circuits at certain raceways like Willow Springs & Fontana. Really nice dude.

Anyways, cop comes back and has me sign the citation. I proceed to say to him...

"I saw you had someone pulled over back there and getting their registration. I think it is really messed up you decided to let them go and proceed to run to your car and follow me just to write me a false ticket. That is really messed up."

He responded "Have a nice night"



WHAT THE FACK??!?!?!?!?!?! I'm fighting this bullshit I just need help and advice from you guys. I know that he had a little camera in car because I saw his blinking light. I just think this is total bullshit and I am not taking a hit on my driving record for some young douchey fuck.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
wwc310
First Lieutenant
wwc310's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turb0mike View Post
[Story also in Cali section but want bigger audience]

So, long story short...

Pulled out of westwood In'n'out and made a right onto LeConte and then an immediate left onto Broxton. As I was making a right (in my BMW) I saw a Police officer who had stopped another car across the street. At that point in time the lady had just handed him some papers (assuming registration). As I make a right the cop (younger) zipped his head around and gave me a mad-dog look. I didn't think much of it and just head down broxton...

I happen to peek in my review mirror and see him running to his car and making an illegal U-turn. I'm like, o great what the fuck. He follows me down broxton to a stop sign, where I stop and ask my buddy "why the hell is he following me? I already have a fix it ticket for my exhaust, this is ridiculous." I make an immediate right onto Kinross Ave, then wait at a light and turn left on Gayley, where after about 100 yards he puts on his sirens...



At this point I'm like "ok whatever, I will just get my fix it ticket out of my glove box." He comes up saying "put your hands on the wheel. I have my gun unholstered." What? You seriously think I'm going to pull something on you? Common bro. I then proceeded to say that I was just getting my fix it ticket because you most likely pulled me over for my exhaust. He paused and then responded "You rolled the stop sign on Broxton." ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?! Why would I roll a stop sign when a cop is directly behind me...

At this point I'm fuming. He also has the nerve to call in a backup officer who is an old fart. I'm talking shit on the cop (no profanity) when the fat cop comes to my window. He then proceeds to ask me if I do any racing... WTF??? I told him yes, around circuits at certain raceways like Willow Springs & Fontana. Really nice dude.

Anyways, cop comes back and has me sign the citation. I proceed to say to him...

"I saw you had someone pulled over back there and getting their registration. I think it is really messed up you decided to let them go and proceed to run to your car and follow me just to write me a false ticket. That is really messed up."

He responded "Have a nice night"



WHAT THE FACK??!?!?!?!?!?! I'm fighting this bullshit I just need help and advice from you guys. I know that he had a little camera in car because I saw his blinking light. I just think this is total bullshit and I am not taking a hit on my driving record for some young douchey fuck.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Cops in westwood suck man. I got a ticket for not using the cross walk in high school and have been pulled over twice there.

Saw this the other day. Dont know if it'll help

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1429545.html

Also, I'm pretty sure you can file a discovery motion and get a copy of the dash cam. Might cost you a little dough.

GL
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
bdbahh
Private First Class
United_States
6
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

iTrader: (0)

As someone who's Dad was in law enforcement (SB Sheriff actually) and I myself am in the hiring process for SBPD...this is complete bullshit. It seems like this was personal attack on you. You're probably not going to have much luck on fighting the ticket since it's his word against yours (unless the camera shows anything).

There was no reason for him to have his gun upholstered. Are your windows tinted? If not, he may have seen you reaching into the glove box while he was walking up. That's a no-no. Always keep your hands on the wheel until the officer gets there, and then tell him/her what you're about to do, and have them watch you. Especially young cops, they're a little more itchy on the trigger finger.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
22
Rep
2,274
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

iTrader: (0)

Sometimes life sucks. Its a he said - he said & the cop holds all the aces. Pay the ticket & move on.

If its a points ticket pay the traffic lawyer, get it plea bargained to no points & move on.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
Cobra Coyote First Start.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

I would say 80% of cops are the losers from high school who didnt go to college and want to get back at the cool kids. The other 20% are there because they genuinely want to help others and make the world a better place. Im sick of that shit. If you have the funds available I would fight it to the end, get the dash footage, etc. and make him look like an asshole. The majority of the cops I have dealt with are ignorant pricks on a power trip even when I have done nothing wrong in similar situations to yours. Cannot stand that they have the power to pull bullshit like this. They need to be called out so please fight this and keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General
ken1137's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,697
Posts

 
Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Sounds like the cop has a chip on his shoulder. That sucks and probably not much you can do about it. Well, at least I know it was not my uncle since you said he was young One recommendation for the future...if you are ever pulled over dont reach in your glove box or anywhere else if a cop is approaching you. Just place your hands on the wheel, or if you have tints outside the window. Nothing more will freak a cop out than see the driver reaching for something in the car as he approaches. GL.
__________________

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
4,598
Posts

 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
I'm sorry to hear that but that's total bullshit..and wasn't your friend with you? So its your and your friend's word against the officer's but I will that even help? Police here in LA are the biggest douchebags I swear..I was waiting in the left turn lane to get onto the freeway and the cop is waiting right next to me but that lane is to keep going straight..instead he starts creeping forward almost into the middle of the intersection and right when it turns green he guns it right infront of me (the left turn lane) cutting me and the entire lane off. Then he proceeds to go about 85mph on the freeway not even signaling..no lights nothing. I was going to high beem the shit out of him but he have easily pulled me over for tinted windows. Another time I was like 12 and the light had just turned green, I didn't get a chance to click the cross walk button so the little white guy didn't pop up to say it's ok to cross..I crossed anyway and the asshole cop said it's jaywalking and could write me up for it. -____- I was 12...Alright rant's over. Best of luck dude.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
CUTigers
Captain
CUTigers's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
859
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta/Lawrenceville

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
Reaching and doing stuff as he walks up is also ground for searching you car apparently, ask how I know haha
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Potty_Pants
Colonel
Potty_Pants's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
2,191
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Southern NJ

iTrader: (0)

some times ya gotta take it in the azz.

sorry not a perfect world. pay the BS fee and move on .

had a window smashed out in my car... i saw the guy (long story short) had to tell judge i was recinding my complaint against guy and not doing so under duress. write off window... or loose house. i wrote the window off.

ppp
__________________
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
BOBKUR
Major
13
Rep
1,350
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E 90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA

iTrader: (2)

Pay the man, you will never win.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
BMWSOZE
Smooth Operator
BMWSOZE's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
139
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335I
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
some times ya gotta take it in the azz.


ppp


I agree....Oh yes, I tell my girlfriend that... all the time
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,623
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I would say 80% of cops are the losers from high school who didnt go to college and want to get back at the cool kids. The other 20% are there because they genuinely want to help others and make the world a better place. Im sick of that shit. If you have the funds available I would fight it to the end, get the dash footage, etc. and make him look like an asshole. The majority of the cops I have dealt with are ignorant pricks on a power trip even when I have done nothing wrong in similar situations to yours. Cannot stand that they have the power to pull bullshit like this. They need to be called out so please fight this and keep us updated.
Take a few ride-alongs with the local PD and see if it changes your mind. Cops unfortunately have to deal with those losers from high school who think they're above the law or just plain stupid and the hotshots with attitudes about 80% of their shift (if they're lucky - it's usually 100%). Walk a mile in their shoes, so to speak, and then form an opinion. If you had to work with the a_hole of society and the bureaucratic BS from the brass every day, week after week, you'll develop a different outlook. May not be right, but it is what it is. Just be glad they're out there doing the stuff that 90% of the civilian population never sees.

That said, I certainly don't condone what's being reported here, but we're only hearing one side of the story. In my experience, everyone who gets stopped is NEVER guilty of ANYthing. He has no idea who he's dealing with, and considering the high possibility that the driver might be armed and dangerous, he's going to be edgy, to say the least. Go to court, let the judge hear your story and that of your passenger, and the officer's version, or meet with the prosecutor to see if you can get deferred adjudication or a lesser fine/points.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

I actually did two ride alongs with a former "friend" It made me quickly realize he was one of the 80% of losers. He was a dick for no reason to some very normal nice people who made honest mistakes. He reached speeds of 120 mph in a 45 zone when in pursuit for people doing ten over, and running red lights. While those infractions are dangerous and technically illegal, ther eis no need to go that fast and dangerously just to write a ticket and be a dick to people. I watched the events unfold. I do understand having to make it clear that you are the one in control as a cop and watch your back. I also know that they deal with alot of assholes day to day, but it just sucks when they dont show some common courtesy and rescpect to people. I have respect for them and for their safety, but the whole power trip asshole thing is lame.






Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Take a few ride-alongs with the local PD and see if it changes your mind. Cops unfortunately have to deal with those losers from high school who think they're above the law or just plain stupid and the hotshots with attitudes about 80% of their shift (if they're lucky - it's usually 100%). Walk a mile in their shoes, so to speak, and then form an opinion. If you had to work with the a_hole of society and the bureaucratic BS from the brass every day, week after week, you'll develop a different outlook. May not be right, but it is what it is. Just be glad they're out there doing the stuff that 90% of the civilian population never sees.

That said, I certainly don't condone what's being reported here, but we're only hearing one side of the story. In my experience, everyone who gets stopped is NEVER guilty of ANYthing. He has no idea who he's dealing with, and considering the high possibility that the driver might be armed and dangerous, he's going to be edgy, to say the least. Go to court, let the judge hear your story and that of your passenger, and the officer's version, or meet with the prosecutor to see if you can get deferred adjudication or a lesser fine/points.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,623
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I actually did two ride alongs with a former "friend" It made me quickly realize he was one of the 80% of losers. He was a dick for no reason to some very normal nice people who made honest mistakes. He reached speeds of 120 mph in a 45 zone when in pursuit for people doing ten over, and running red lights. While those infractions are dangerous and technically illegal, ther eis no need to go that fast and dangerously just to write a ticket and be a dick to people. I watched the events unfold. I do understand having to make it clear that you are the one in control as a cop and watch your back. I also know that they deal with alot of assholes day to day, but it just sucks when they dont show some common courtesy and rescpect to people. I have respect for them and for their safety, but the whole power trip asshole thing is lame.
And those are the ones that should eventually get rooted out. For every one of those you know about, there are probably 100 who aren't that kind of cop. Best way to get that process rolling is to find out who his sergeant/watch commander is and report what you observe. Enough complaints will result in disciplinary action (suspension) or termination. No feedback = no change, just as in any other job.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
RupertPupkin's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,534
Posts

 
Drives: Freak Beast
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East

iTrader: (5)

I completely agree. He actually was a Sergeant so that sucked, but he has since gone into the real estate industry anyway so he is gone. I agree with all you've said. It is like anything though, one bad egg ruins everything for everyone.





Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
And those are the ones that should eventually get rooted out. For every one of those you know about, there are probably 100 who aren't that kind of cop. Best way to get that process rolling is to find out who his sergeant/watch commander is and report what you observe. Enough complaints will result in disciplinary action (suspension) or termination. No feedback = no change, just as in any other job.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
jyeah
Private First Class
2
Rep
196
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (3)

I believe you can send an request for the camera recording and if indeed you did not do a rolling stop and that was what your citation was for, you actually have a very good case against the police officer and yes you can bring it to the court and file for compensation.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
bmwforme
First Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: 11' Camry
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I would say 80% of cops are the losers from high school who didnt go to college and want to get back at the cool kids. The other 20% are there because they genuinely want to help others and make the world a better place. Im sick of that shit. If you have the funds available I would fight it to the end, get the dash footage, etc. and make him look like an asshole. The majority of the cops I have dealt with are ignorant pricks on a power trip even when I have done nothing wrong in similar situations to yours. Cannot stand that they have the power to pull bullshit like this. They need to be called out so please fight this and keep us updated.
THIS. the NYPD is the WORST. makes no sense how the ones in society with the most power, are the ones who usually did the least growing up.
__________________
19
Brooklyn, NYC
320i...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
upstatedoc's Avatar
50
Rep
1,586
Posts

 
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

In my experience with these hard to believe stories there's usually something missing from OP's story.
__________________
2014 S.S. P938 Nightmare
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #19
woosh
Colonel
woosh's Avatar
Australia
34
Rep
2,241
Posts

 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc
In my experience with these hard to believe stories there's usually something missing from OP's story.
This.

Did you let off your BOV as you passed him?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
bmwkbiker
Private
United_States
1
Rep
97
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E93
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SF Bay area

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbahh View Post
<deleted>
He may have seen you reaching into the glove box while he was walking up. That's a no-no. Always keep your hands on the wheel until the officer gets there, and then tell him/her what you're about to do, and have them watch you. Especially young cops, they're a little more itchy on the trigger finger.
Like he said....

The officer doesn't know what you are reaching for, could be a breath mint, but they are trained to assume it is a gun.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
ddk632
Professional Orangeer
United_States
44
Rep
1,940
Posts

 
Drives: Bacon
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
You're in California, my home state which I miss. I used to live in LA and had some, errr, experience with similar matters.

#1 - In-N-Out rocks. Nothing comes close. Nothing. Every time I go back to LA, my first stop from the airport is the In-N-Out on Sepulveda.

#2 - Trial by declaration. Fight the ticket, and at your arraignment, plead not guilty and request a trial by declaration. They have to grant it to you. You write your version of events and submit it. The cop has 30 days to do the same. If they don't respond (many wont, they are lazy) you automatically win. If you lose, you can still have a normal court trial for the ticket.

#3 - Prior to the court trial, file a motion for discovery. There is a time limit for you to do this, if you do it the day before the court date, its too late. I can't remember the details but it was 30 days of the arraignment or something like that. Google it. This gets you their notes and you need to research what to put there to get the video, but same thing, if they do not comply with motion for discovery within 30 days, when you go to court, you can ask the judge for a motion to dismiss the case because your discovery request was not timely met.

Google trial by declaration, and motion for discovery, and see the laws that govern this in case they have changed since I was in CA.

I have won tickets simply by filing a trial by declaration which received no response. If you are good with google and research, you don't need a lawyer for any of this.

Unless the cops are from Ventura County, in which case you're screwed no matter what. Do not ask me how I know that.
__________________
ddk632 | David Khaykin | (The K* is Silent!)
flickr photos [ Best Of | BMW | Motorcycles & DSLR's ]
* First K only, credit to Billup
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #22
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel
59
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Cop may be a douche, but did you run the stop sign? You just said "why would I run a stop sign with a cop behind me" but you didn't deny it.
Some cops are douches, don't commit any infractions and who's going to do a denzel washington to you?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST