E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Benghazi over-reaction?

10-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
kmarei
Major General
Egypt

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
Benghazi over-reaction?

Small question
I hope some of you can help me figure it out
Why are republicans going ape shit about whether the president did or did not get a request for assistance from the embassy in Libya, and that 4 Americans died there?
Isn't a much bigger issue that millions of Americans are below the poverty line, in the worlds richest country?
Or am I missing something?
I mean almost daily we hear about Americans getting shot here at home, but when some get killed abroad, all hell breaks loose?

Please don't take this as taking light of the fact that 4 Americans died, it's not.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
OOO
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: in the slow lane

People are pissed off because it could of been prevented. They knew about it. Now Obama won't come clean. Watch recent interviews. He keeps ignoring the question.
      10-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOO View Post
People are pissed off because it could of been prevented. They knew about it. Now Obama won't come clean. Watch recent interviews. He keeps ignoring the question.
assuming he is avoiding the question, and that it could have been prevented.

does that make it more importan that millions of americans who are poor?
who don't know where their next meal is coming from?
or the fact that this country now has more debt that any other country on this planet?
i mean out of all the problems facing this country
the fact that 4 americans lives could have been spared seems a moot point

i'm not defending Obama
i am just surprised that this is the one thing all republicans are talking about
while at the same tame ignoring other much more important issues facing the country.

so if he had sent marines in and gotten those 4 guys out
would you all have been happy now?

ofcourse there is the issue that he had sent it marines/troops and they got killed
so instead of saving 4, he might have lost a lot more
surely a lose-lose situation

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

The corolation could be that if a U.S. embassy was asking for security upgrades out of fear while the current administration ignored it; what else are they ignoring in regards to national security?

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
does that make it more importan that millions of americans who are poor? who don't know where their next meal is coming from?
This statement is the same as when Americans first walked on the Moon. There will always be poor as there will always be rich. And that is a hisorical fact that will never change in any part of the world.

It matters when an outsider attacks an American just like I'm sure it does in your country. What we do to one another is our problem.

BTW we kill each other a lot less than your part of the world.

Also, Jimmy Carter did and we did lose people. At least they tried and thats what counts.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)

Last edited by mspeasl; 10-28-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
OldArmy
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si

So you want the American people to actually focus on the real issues?

Bwahahahahahahaha!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
rgrovr
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Quote:
..does that make it more important that millions of americans who are poor? who don't know where their next meal is coming from?..I mean out of all the problems facing this country the fact that 4 americans lives could have been spared seems a moot point...
American's perception of "Poor" is a far cry from reality. A refresher based on analysis of the Census reporting (link):

Quote:
● Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

● Fully 92 percent of poor households have a microwave; two-thirds have at least one DVD player and 70 percent have a VCR.

● Nearly 75 percent have a car or truck; 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.

● Four out of five poor adults assert they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money for food.

● Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite television.

● Half have a personal computer; one in seven have two or more computers.

● More than half of poor families with children have a video game system such as Xbox or PlayStation.

● Just under half — 43 percent — have Internet access.

● A third have a widescreen plasma or LCD TV.

● One in every four has a digital video recorder such as TiVo.

As noted, TV newscasts about poverty in America usually picture the poor as homeless or as a destitute family living in an overcrowded, rundown trailer. The actual facts are far different:

● At a single point in time, only one in 70 poor persons is homeless.

● The vast majority of the houses or apartments of the poor are in good repair; only 6 percent are over-crowded.

● The average poor American has more living space than the average non-poor individual living in Sweden, France, Germany or the United Kingdom.

● Only 10 percent of the poor live in mobile homes or trailers; half live in detached single-family houses or townhouses, while 40 percent live in apartments.

● Forty-two percent of all poor households own their home; on average, it’s a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.
This doesn't diminish folks struggling through the current economy but claiming that the American poor is akin to epidemic proportions that trump our defense priorities needs some balance.
2008 335xi E90 Black Sapphire -||- PERFORMANCE: JB4 -DCI - AR Catless DPs - Helix FMIC - Forge DVs - KW V3 Suspension - BSH OCC -||- COSMETIC: 19" M3 Reps - OEM Perf. Front - MTech Sides - MTech Rear - OEM CF Spoiler - CF Kidney Grills - LUX H8 - LED Interior Kit - CF Wrap Trim - M3 iDrive Knob
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
txz4
Major

Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:

or the fact that this country now has more debt that any other country on this planet?

i'm not defending Obama
i am just surprised that this is the one thing all republicans are talking about
while at the same tame ignoring other much more important issues facing the country.

ofcourse there is the issue that he had sent it marines/troops and they got killed
Republicans have been talking for years about how bad the current economic situation is and about how the right things arent being done about it. Everyone is very informed of the statistics. The reason the Benghazi situation is being pointed out so much has everything to do with the way it seems to be swept under the rug.

From what has been said, the two Military people who died were responding from another nearby location despite being told not to. they were told to stand down 3 separate times before eventually going to render aid. The president had come out for over a week blaming the situation on a video.

As more info comes out, the more it seems like the issue was completely ignored, or rather made light of.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
MiddleAgedAl
First Lieutenant

Drives: M3

It's the apparent attempt to cover up, deceive or mislead which has people justifiably upset.

As was pointed out, even if the calls to upgrade security were answered, there is still no guarantee that 4 lives would have been saved. More lives might have been lost, or maybe less; obviously a more blatant security posture would have deterred certain types of attacks. The sheer number of lost lives is not the main factor behind this story not going away. Sadly, more people die in car accidents every single day.

No disrespect intended towards those who paid the ultimate price serving their country, but realistically, if this was simply a matter of a terrorist attack which, despite the presence of the extra requested security, still claimed >4 lives, people would have dealt with it as a more straightforward tragedy, and news media would have moved on by now.

Definitely something fishy going on here, with apparent attempts to either mislead or deceive, or at the very least, obfuscate with false stories of "documentary protests" being behind things. Certainly the administration hardly went out of it's way to transparently present all that happened there.

Based on the profanity-laced vitriol in posts in other threads, and the lack of similar passion here, apparently some feel strongly this sort of dishonesty is not nearly as bad as someone incorrectly stating that Jeep might move a plant to China. Definitely different sets of priorities there.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
rgrovr
Private First Class

Al pretty much nails it. This story, while tragic, would have easily run its course but the security failure, lack of disclosure and misdirection to a video are the key issues at hand. It doesn't help that as more information comes out - every outright lie from the administration get's exposed for what it is.

Even worse than Benghazi was the Taliban attack in Afghanistan that occurred 2 days after 9/11 this year in the Worse Loss of US Aircraft Since Vietnam.

No one even blinked an eye on that attack.
2008 335xi E90 Black Sapphire -||- PERFORMANCE: JB4 -DCI - AR Catless DPs - Helix FMIC - Forge DVs - KW V3 Suspension - BSH OCC -||- COSMETIC: 19" M3 Reps - OEM Perf. Front - MTech Sides - MTech Rear - OEM CF Spoiler - CF Kidney Grills - LUX H8 - LED Interior Kit - CF Wrap Trim - M3 iDrive Knob
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer
United_States

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrovr View Post
Even worse than Benghazi was the Taliban attack in Afghanistan that occurred 2 days after 9/11 this year in the Worse Loss of US Aircraft Since Vietnam.

No one even blinked an eye on that attack.
This is the first that I've heard of this attack. Isn't our news media just great. They spoon feed us what they want us to know and not much more
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Or just MAYBE the CIA was playing possum to get the real perpetraitors to relax their gaurd and get caught???

Look, over there, a bad video, GOT YOU!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
alms211
Banned

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:

i'm not defending Obama

Have you watched any of the debates? That is what Republicans are zoned in on.....20+million people out of work; the 30% increase in welfare subsidies since Obama took office; $6 trillion in debt in 4 years. All Obama has to talk about is how much of my income should go to pay for those that won't get off their dead ass and work or how much of MY money should be taken to pay for a 35 year old Georgetown law student's birth control pills.

Sure Barack.....a couple living within an hour of Washington DC making $250k/year is rich. Class warfare is all this guy has.....and he's losing.

The Benghazi debacle is just the latest "fcuk up" this guy has been at the helm of. If you don't think this story is worthy of front page news, then please just put your head back in the sand.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
Have you watched any of the debates? That is what Republicans are zoned in on.....20+million people out of work; the 30% increase in welfare subsidies since Obama took office; $6 trillion in debt in 4 years. All Obama has to talk about is how much of my income should go to pay for those that won't get off their dead ass and work or how much of MY money should be taken to pay for a 35 year old Georgetown law student's birth control pills.

Sure Barack.....a couple living within an hour of Washington DC making $250k/year is rich. Class warfare is all this guy has.....and he's losing.

The Benghazi debacle is just the latest "fcuk up" this guy has been at the helm of. If you don't think this story is worthy of front page news, then please just put your head back in the sand.
Be careful with the words you choose. There are lots of folks here that don't take too kindly to swearing.
      10-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
alms211
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Be careful with the words you choose. There are lots of folks here that don't take too kindly to swearing.
I'm not being disrespectful to an individual like 128 was in the other thread. I must admit I was surprised that he got banned. I've seen far worse on here.....not that I condone (or agree) with what he said.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #16
rgrovr
Private First Class

Someone must of drew this cartoon after reading the OP:

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alms211 View Post
I'm not being disrespectful to an individual like 128 was in the other thread. I must admit I was surprised that he got banned. I've seen far worse on here.....not that I condone (or agree) with what he said.
I'm not surprised he was banned. I think it's about time some of the nonsense is removed honestly.

It's one thing to take a strong stance on a subject you truly feel connected to, but it's a totally different thing to act like a ticked off teenager and use that type of language with no real substance.

But then again, this is the internet...
      10-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #18
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Yay, you derpers got another critic of yours banned. Easier to stifle the opposition than to debate them isn't it?
      10-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Yay, you derpers got another critic of yours banned. Easier to stifle the opposition than to debate them isn't it?
"debate"

Now that's comedy.
      10-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
rohms3
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Going to be tough to debate once you all wipe yourselves off the boards. You're one of the last few standing, congrats.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Yea, him calling everyone an asshole is certainly one great way to debate...
      10-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Why did nobody address the issue in the "Romney lied about Jeep" thread? It was quickly turned into a debate about the word shit. Very little mentioned about the substance of the thread. 1 person brought up the "well your guys does it too" defense, but didn't even come close to addressing the issue of the Republican candidate again using blatant lies to try and make political points. Never did a single one of the regulars here try to do anything to discuss the issue.

Yeah, you guys refuse debate. And I won't be surprised if you guys try and get me banned as well.