E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Sedan_Clan's Personal Trainer Thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,182
iTrader: (25)

Sedan_Clan's Personal Trainer Thread

As an offshoot of the last few pages in this thread, I've decided to start a thread dedicated to workout advice (..based on the suggestion of another member), and to showcase the progression amongst the membership here on the forum. We have a similar thread that is very successful on E46Fanatics, so hopefully this thread will generate similar levels of interest.

All questions are welcome; pics make it easier to assess. Let's have at it fellas.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Whostheboss
Captain
 
Whostheboss's Avatar
 
Drives: a 9incher
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Connecticut U.S.

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

lol really?
__________________
WHO'S THE BOSS
Whostheboss is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,182
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
It's a little discouraging because obviously I'm thin, so my shoulder points are prominent and it drives me up the wall. Everything else has become defined over time, and I'm at least content with it, except my boney shoulders.

It really is more one off than most people think, and it took me a while to realize that. I will start doing chin-ups and pull-ups to finish and see if that gives me some better results, because shoulder shrugs just feel like a chore with no real outcome after doing them the past 5 months.


When it comes to shoulders, I would recommend that you really hit overhead presses hard and start rowing like your life depended on it. Rows will not only have corrective postural benefits, but they will also give your shoulders depth/thickness.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
lol really?
Hey, everybody needs their fitness fix.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
richardbb85
Major
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: annandale, va

Posts: 1,459
iTrader: (0)

what's your take on bulking, do u prefer dirty bulking or track macros for a "clean bulk"?
__________________
2011 E92 Space Grey/black + Tech + Premi + Heated Seats
richardbb85 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
954Stealth
Lieutenant Colonel
 
954Stealth's Avatar
 
Drives: Market Share
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Posts: 1,895
iTrader: (1)

Great idea! Subscribed.
__________________
Twitter: @jlstillman
Owner of MPG Autosport
954Stealth is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
Billup
Oh You Touch My Tralala
 
Billup's Avatar
 
Drives: Your mum crazy.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NC / MI

Posts: 650
iTrader: (0)

I'm totally game for this. I do my workouts at work, so I don't have anyone to go with, nor do I have any intellectual insight. Just myself, doing workouts and what I think is right.

I think this thread can be very helpful, and I'm glad Sedan is willing to help us out. I'll get a picture next week. To be honest, I've never taken time lapse photos, so I really don't even know where I stand from before I started.
__________________
2012 Black Motorbike
2008 Red Car
Billup is offline   Azerbaijan
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
squishy
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 X1 35i
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbia, MD

Posts: 173
iTrader: (0)

Just wanted to run my workout/dieting plan by you all for advice and possible suggestions.

Here it is:

All sets: 4 x (12, 10, 8, 6 [failure])

Monday: Upperbody [chest]
1. Bench Press
2. Incline Bench Press
3. Seated Cable Rows
4. Dumbbell Bicep Curls
5. Barbell Curls
6. Skull Crushers

Tuesday: Abs and Traps
1. Ab curls
2. Weighted Oblique Twists
3. Abs pull ups
4. Weighted Incline Ab Crunches
5. Traps

Wednesday: Legs
1. Squats
2. Deadlifts
3. Leg Extensions:
4. Lat Pull-downs
5. Lat Pull-ups
6. Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Thursday: Abs and Traps
1. Ab curls
2. Weighted Oblique Twists
3. Abs pull ups
4. Weighted Incline Ab Crunches
5. Traps

Friday: Upperbody [shoulders]
1. Incline Bench Press
2. Incline Dumbbell Bicep Curls
3. Dumbbell Shoulder Press
4. Standing Barbell Press
5. Cable Triceps Pull-downs
6. One Arm Cable Lateral Raises
7. Chest Press

Saturday: Abs
1. Ab curls
2. Weighted Oblique Twists
3. Abs pull ups
4. Weighted Incline Ab Crunches

Sunday: Rest Day


Daily Macro Requirements:

Fat: 50g [9.3%]
Carbs: 250g (300g on workout days) [46.3%]
Protein: 240g [44.4%]

Thoughts? For reference, I'm 21, 6'5", 186#, and my body fat is around 13-15%. Trying to gain lean muscle mass.

Thanks!
__________________

2013 BMW X1 35i
squishy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
954Stealth
Lieutenant Colonel
 
954Stealth's Avatar
 
Drives: Market Share
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Posts: 1,895
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
what's your take on bulking, do u prefer dirty bulking or track macros for a "clean bulk"?
I like a clean bulk. Minimizing fat gains will make any cutting phase less difficult
__________________
Twitter: @jlstillman
Owner of MPG Autosport
954Stealth is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
KingOfJericho
Major General
 
KingOfJericho's Avatar
 
Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

Posts: 5,011
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
Isn't there a subforum for this?
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2010 S4 Current | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Retired
KingOfJericho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,182
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
what's your take on bulking, do u prefer dirty bulking or track macros for a "clean bulk"?
A clean bulk - or the cleanest bulk possible - will always, always be the best option (..albeit the hardest to achieve) if you want the leaning out process to be the least miserable and you want to look the best while you bulk. I hate dedicated/fasted cardio, so the less that I have to do, the better. The hardest part about the cleaner bulks are that clean foods are very low in calories, so you have to eat significantly more to achieve whatever your specified number is. Conversely, dirty eating racks up the calories mighty quick. With that said, you WILL feel/be stronger with the high number of calories (..ex...I've put up some of my strongest numbers after eating 5 or 6 In & Out Double-Doubles).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
I'm totally game for this. I do my workouts at work, so I don't have anyone to go with, nor do I have any intellectual insight. Just myself, doing workouts and what I think is right.

I think this thread can be very helpful, and I'm glad Sedan is willing to help us out. I'll get a picture next week. To be honest, I've never taken time lapse photos, so I really don't even know where I stand from before I started.
Anytime! I love fitness as much as I love cars, bikes and Capoeira/Brazilian culture.

Photos are the easiest way to track changes. We become so accustomed to looking at ourselves every day that we don't notice the subtleties of bodily change. Pics taken weeks apart will make the changes apparent.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #11
954Stealth
Lieutenant Colonel
 
954Stealth's Avatar
 
Drives: Market Share
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Posts: 1,895
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Just wanted to run my workout/dieting plan by you all for advice and possible suggestions.

Here it is:

All sets: 4 x (12, 10, 8, 6 [failure])

Monday: Upperbody [chest]
1. Bench Press
2. Incline Bench Press
3. Seated Cable Rows
4. Dumbbell Bicep Curls
5. Barbell Curls
6. Skull Crushers

Tuesday: Abs and Traps
1. Ab curls
2. Weighted Oblique Twists
3. Abs pull ups
4. Weighted Incline Ab Crunches
5. Traps

Wednesday: Legs
1. Squats
2. Deadlifts
3. Leg Extensions:
4. Lat Pull-downs
5. Lat Pull-ups
6. Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Thursday: Abs and Traps
1. Ab curls
2. Weighted Oblique Twists
3. Abs pull ups
4. Weighted Incline Ab Crunches
5. Traps

Friday: Upperbody [shoulders]
1. Incline Bench Press
2. Incline Dumbbell Bicep Curls
3. Dumbbell Shoulder Press
4. Standing Barbell Press
5. Cable Triceps Pull-downs
6. One Arm Cable Lateral Raises
7. Chest Press

Saturday: Abs
1. Ab curls
2. Weighted Oblique Twists
3. Abs pull ups
4. Weighted Incline Ab Crunches

Sunday: Rest Day


Daily Macro Requirements:

Fat: 50g [9.3%]
Carbs: 250g (300g on workout days) [46.3%]
Protein: 240g [44.4%]

Thoughts? For reference, I'm 21, 6'5", 186#, and my body fat is around 13-15%. Trying to gain lean muscle mass.

Thanks!
Too much volume and 2 days for traps is entirely unecessary
__________________
Twitter: @jlstillman
Owner of MPG Autosport
954Stealth is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
richardbb85
Major
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: annandale, va

Posts: 1,459
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
A clean bulk - or the cleanest bulk possible - will always, always be the best option (..albeit the hardest to achieve) if you want the leaning out process to be the least miserable and you want to look the best while you bulk. I hate dedicated/fasted cardio, so the less that I have to do, the better. The hardest part about the cleaner bulks are that clean foods are very low in calories, so you have to eat significantly more to achieve whatever your specified number is. Conversely, dirty eating racks up the calories mighty quick. With that said, you WILL feel/be stronger with the high number of calories (..ex...I've put up some of my strongest numbers after eating 5 or 6 In & Out Double-Doubles).
yea i hear you. i have always heard dirty bulking will get result, but it will be harder/takes longer to get rid of the fat when you cut. i guess it depends if you know what you r doing when you cut
__________________
2011 E92 Space Grey/black + Tech + Premi + Heated Seats
richardbb85 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
Litos
Colonel
 
Litos's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

Posts: 2,890
iTrader: (1)

I think this belongs in the Health/Fitness Section: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=306
__________________
Litos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #14
richardbb85
Major
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: annandale, va

Posts: 1,459
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
When it comes to shoulders, I would recommend that you really hit overhead presses hard and start rowing like your life depended on it. Rows will not only have corrective postural benefits, but they will also give your shoulders depth/thickness.




Hey, everybody needs their fitness fix.
do you prefer 2 or 1 heavy compound exercise for shoulder in one workout? i personally do db press first, then machine press, then whatever iso movment i feel like doing. i am usually worn out after the machine press so my iso movement weights aren't moving up much.
__________________
2011 E92 Space Grey/black + Tech + Premi + Heated Seats
richardbb85 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
upstatedoc
Drone Expert
 
upstatedoc's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 BMW 328ix
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,442
iTrader: (1)

My problema is I don't have the spare time. Yeah, I hear this all the time. But I work all day, get home and start second shift with 3 little ones. What do you think about those tony horton 10 minute trainers? Garbage? Any advise for someone with little spare time?
__________________
2014 Dodge Durango R/T //Diablosports Tuning
2009 E90 N51 /Active Autowerke Stage 2 tune/BMW Performance Exhaust/
1993 Honda Nighthawk 750/
Countermeasure enthusiast.
upstatedoc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Yea there is a subforum for this.

Anyway, as a continuation on my chest question in the other thread, my back days are rough! Pullups, body weight rows on the smith machine bar, one arm dumbell rows, etc... I don't do chin-ups (underhand), I just do sets of overhand pullups.

So my current regime looks somewhat like this below. I will omit some of the accessory work:

Day 1 (chest):
Bench press - 4 sets of 5 reps (60%, 65%, 75%, 75% of 1RM)
Dumbell shoulder press - 4 sets of 10 reps
Behind the neck press - 4 sets of 10 reps
--Additional shoulder and tricep work--

Day 2 (legs)
Squats - 4 sets of 5 reps, same percentages of 1RM
Front squats - 4 sets of 10 reps
--Superset--
Single leg press - 4 sets of 10 reps
Calf raises - 4 sets of 12 reps
--Ab work--

Day 3 (back)
Pull-ups (supposed to be weighted, but I am working on it) - 4 sets of 5 reps with percentages
Dumbell single arm row - 4 sets of 12 reps
Bodyweight row - 4 sets of 10 reps
--Additional biceps work--

Day 4 (chest again):
Incline dumbell press - 4 drop sets of 6, 6 reps
Incline dumbell drop bench press (lower the incline 3 times until flat) - 4 sets of 6,6,6 reps
Cable flyes - 4 sets of 10 reps
--Additional triceps work--

Day 5 (deadlift day!):
Deadlift - 4 sets of 5 reps (same percentages of 1RM)
Romanian Deadlift - 4 sets of 10 reps
Zercher squat - 4 sets of 12 reps
--Ab work--

So basically, the first week you do the above percentages, then each subsequent week you increase the percentage slightly (i.e. week two is 65, 75, 85, 85) but decrease the reps by 1 (so 4 sets of 4 reps). Week three increase percentage again, and drop to 3 reps. On week four, lower the weight to 40%, 50%, 60 and 60, but increase reps to 10 for each set.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #17
richardbb85
Major
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: annandale, va

Posts: 1,459
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
My problema is I don't have the spare time. Yeah, I hear this all the time. But I work all day, get home and start second shift with 3 little ones. What do you think about those tony horton 10 minute trainers? Garbage? Any advise for someone with little spare time?
it depends what your goal is, lose weight? get fit/strong?

diet/lose weight happens in the kitchen, u dont need a gym.
__________________
2011 E92 Space Grey/black + Tech + Premi + Heated Seats
richardbb85 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #18
mad_max
BMW Veteran
 
mad_max's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Porsche 911 C2S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 258
iTrader: (4)

Nice thread, here's my workout motivation.

https://www.facebook.com/FitnessMichelle
__________________
___________________
2013 911 C2S Racing Yellow
2011 X5d Alpine White
2009 E90 M3 Alpine White -SOLD
mad_max is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #19
richardbb85
Major
 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: annandale, va

Posts: 1,459
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_max View Post
Nice thread, here's my workout motivation.

https://www.facebook.com/FitnessMichelle
i follow her on IG, she is almost perfect but those dots on her chest is a turn off. haha
__________________
2011 E92 Space Grey/black + Tech + Premi + Heated Seats
richardbb85 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #20
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,182
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Just wanted to run my workout/dieting plan by you all for advice and possible suggestions.

Here it is:

All sets: 4 x (12, 10, 8, 6 [failure])

Monday: Upperbody [chest]
1. Bench Press
2. Incline Bench Press
3. Seated Cable Rows
4. Dumbbell Bicep Curls
5. Barbell Curls
6. Skull Crushers

Tuesday: Abs and Traps
1. Ab curls
2. Weighted Oblique Twists
3. Abs pull ups
4. Weighted Incline Ab Crunches
5. Traps

Wednesday: Legs
1. Squats
2. Deadlifts
3. Leg Extensions:
4. Lat Pull-downs5. Lat Pull-ups
6. Dumbbell Shoulder Press

Thursday: Abs and Traps
1. Ab curls
2. Weighted Oblique Twists
3. Abs pull ups
4. Weighted Incline Ab Crunches
5. Traps

Friday: Upperbody [shoulders]
1. Incline Bench Press
2. Incline Dumbbell Bicep Curls
3. Dumbbell Shoulder Press
4. Standing Barbell Press
5. Cable Triceps Pull-downs
6. One Arm Cable Lateral Raises
7. Chest Press

Saturday: Abs
1. Ab curls
2. Weighted Oblique Twists
3. Abs pull ups
4. Weighted Incline Ab Crunches

Sunday: Rest Day


Daily Macro Requirements:

Fat: 50g [9.3%]
Carbs: 250g (300g on workout days) [46.3%]
Protein: 240g [44.4%]

Thoughts? For reference, I'm 21, 6'5", 186#, and my body fat is around 13-15%. Trying to gain lean muscle mass.

Thanks!

I'm typically not one for arbitrary sets/numbers, but I appreciate the planning that some people put into preparing; we have to start somewhere.

Assuming your goal is muscle growth/strength, here are my suggestions....

  • Cut out the days dedicated to traps/abs. You are wasting far too much time on relatively small muscles that will not have any effect on your overall appearance nor your overall strength levels.
  • Give Squats and Dead lifts their own days. The reasoning behind that is: both of those movements are extremely taxing on the body, especially the DL. It affects your CNS unlike any other movement.
  • Add an extra rest day in there!
  • Focus your lifting around the big compound movements; add supplemental work after the fact.


Try developing your approach to mimic something like this (..and remember this isn't a hard & fast suggestion, just a loose rubric/outline for you to follow; experiment with weight/intensity/volume):


Monday:

-Squats
-Leg extensions
-Barbell step-ups
-Hamstring curls
-Dips


Tuesday:

-Active Rest (..low intensity cardio)

Wednesday:

-Barbell Bench Press
-Pec Deck machine
-Dips
-Tricep extensions
-Seated rows (..finisher)

Thursday:

-Dead Lifts
-Bentover barbell rows
-Calf raises
-Pull-ups


Friday:

-Rest

Saturday:

-Shoulder Presses or OHP
-Bentover dumbbell rows
-Reverse flies
-Cable high pulls/high rows
-Pull-ups


Sunday:

-Biceps/Triceps
-Abs
-Low intensity Cardio




You'll probably wonder why I don't overload my days with the typical exercises associated with a given "day". My philosophy revolves around the fact that I like to offset the work that my muscles are doing. If I've just benched heavy for 45 minutes (..I do a lot of volume or weight), for example, I need to counteract that work by spending some time pulling. That has kept my posture intact and my body balanced and proportionate.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
squishy
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 X1 35i
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbia, MD

Posts: 173
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Too much volume and 2 days for traps is entirely unecessary
By volume, you mean cut down the 12-10-8-6 reps for each exercise? So 4x6 should be fine? Or 5x5?

And reason for the traps is my traps are seriously lagging behind (or my shoulders are just growing too fast). Looks kinda unproportional. I don't mind broader looking shoulders, but my traps are nearly nonexistent lol.
__________________

2013 BMW X1 35i
squishy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #22
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,182
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
do you prefer 2 or 1 heavy compound exercise for shoulder in one workout? i personally do db press first, then machine press, then whatever iso movment i feel like doing. i am usually worn out after the machine press so my iso movement weights aren't moving up much.
I alternate week to week. My typical approach is to go balls out on EVERY big lift. Some days I will enter the gym with a plan, but by the time I've run through my squat or dead lift sets (..again, I do a lot of volume/weight), I'm toast! For shoulders I don't really lift super heavy because the body doesn't support the weight like it does on a bench/squat/dead lift.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST