E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Abrupt braking

07-18-2005, 09:41 AM   #1
Bimm Me Up
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Abrupt braking

By the time the lease term's up, my neck should be as muscular as Arnold Schwarzenegger's.

I've tried so hard, and there is no way to come to a complete stop easily and smoothly like any other cars out there. The braking system is just too sensitive to the touch. My mourning coffee spilled once at a normal traffic light stop...now, I must drink half a cup before putting it in the car.

Please tell me the brake will ease up after xxx miles. Don't force me to put on Autozone brake pads....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

I belive people are having a problem with the soft stop feature on the cars in the US. I don't know much else...but I'm sure someone else does...
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
scottjones
Professional Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

Weird... I live in upstate NY and when I drove the 330i I didn't have a problem with braking after the first few tries at it. Granted, i'm also used to driving an evo which has VERY sensative Brembo brakes... but... none the less, I dont know... I guess i'm used to stopping in my Eclipse, which... if you can stop soft in that... your a hero. Boo to Mitsubishi!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Dont take this wrong, but what is it with Americans and drinking coffee in ones car ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Dont take this wrong, but what is it with Americans and drinking coffee in ones car ?
Oh, come on E90Fleet. Does no one in SA drink coffee in their cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 10:09 AM   #6
scottjones
Professional Member
United_States
Rep

Drink coffee in my car? Holy hell man! I eat a big mac, McChicken and all sorts of other horrific things for the body in my car! Why limit it to coffee? Why not tea, chai, hell... even a beer once in a while(j/k)

Oh.. let's not forget redbull and such either.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC 330i
Oh, come on E90Fleet. Does no one in SA drink coffee in their cars?
Nobody i know

Must be because we dont have many places like starbucks

As i said please dont take offence, im just wondering

On a 5 Series board ive been on for a few years there is always someone complaining about his coffee in his car, something ive never heard someone complain about here

Ive even asked people here and they say the only place they see someone drinking coffee in their cars is on american movies

Shure i have a tin of coke or pepsi now and then in the car, it just seem s coffee is a american thing

Again, please dont take offence, im just qurious
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjones
Drink coffee in my car? Holy hell man! I eat a big mac, McChicken and all sorts of other horrific things for the body in my car! Why limit it to coffee? Why not tea, chai, hell... even a beer once in a while(j/k)

Oh.. let's not forget redbull and such either.
But while driving ?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #9
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Lol, coffee is a big american thing. Here in SA, most people either have a quick cup with their breakfast, or drink coffee out socially! In america, people just drink coffee, they walk around the streets drinking coffee...sit in their cars drinking coffee - :P

I'll most likely end up using my cup holders for the ODD bottle of water, or the once a year I buy a Mcflurry from the drivethru at McD - still nice to have thought!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #10
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Well, we do have our share of Starbuck's Coffee shops in the US so I suppose it's cultural. Perhaps in the UK they drink tea?

There is a Starbucks on my way to the highway actually. I have a 93 mile drive to work (one way) and I have to leave my house at 5:45 or 6:45 AM depending on what time I want to arrive, so I definitely enjoy a cup of Starbucks to wake up. Luckily, I only have to drive in 2 days a week, and the drive has almost no traffic. (Ever seen the movie "Sideways"? That's my commute).

On the way home I don't take a beverage, and have been known to take the long way home in search of twisty, empty roads. Which we have plenty of in my area thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Nice commute through the wine country, CC 330i! Only problem is the length, but it's great that you only do it twice a week. Sounds perfect to me
      07-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #12
Bimm Me Up
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

hi all, last time I checked, coffee and brakes are irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 11:45 AM   #13
scottjones
Professional Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But while driving ?
Absolutly... i'm mutitalented! Not only can I drive(agressivly I might add) but I can suck down a triple venti non fat caramel macchaito(star bucks latte) and eat a scone... all without dropping a crumb or drip on the inside of my car.

Fine art that outside sales people develop when they are on a tight schedule. Or, when you wake up VERY late and need a major pick me up before you go into a board meeting.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 12:09 PM   #14
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

You see, us Americans like to combine as many pleasures together as possible. Gluttony is the name of the game, baby!
      07-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #15
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

I'm multitalented too.........I listened to my radio while driving.
      07-18-2005, 01:27 PM   #16
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimm Me Up
By the time the lease term's up, my neck should be as muscular as Arnold Schwarzenegger's.

I've tried so hard, and there is no way to come to a complete stop easily and smoothly like any other cars out there. The braking system is just too sensitive to the touch. My mourning coffee spilled once at a normal traffic light stop...now, I must drink half a cup before putting it in the car.

Please tell me the brake will ease up after xxx miles. Don't force me to put on Autozone brake pads....
Bimm Me Up...

Is this the same problem you were having with the jerky transmission? With the soft stop feature, if you try to ease your foot off the brake to smoothen out the stop, the car will release total brake pressure, and send you flying into the car in front of you.

I'm having talks with my dealer to buy back my car if they don't fix it by the end of this week. BMW and Continental Teves (the supplier of the the brake system to BMW) keep telling me to wait for a software update, but they have provided me no assurance that the soft-stop feature will be corrected with the next update.

As nice as the rest of the car is, there is no way I'm gonna put up with this lurchy brake system!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 02:10 PM   #17
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

I just got off the phone with an engineer at Continental Teves, the DSC and brake supplier for BMW. They are saying it's a BMW problem and that is not how the soft-stop feature is intended to work. Since they are supplier, BMW would first have to recognize this as a problem and contact Continental for assistance if needed to correct the problem. The engineers here in the US don't know much and said they would try to talk to someone in Europe and attempt to find me some answers.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 02:48 PM   #18
itznin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight
I just got off the phone with an engineer at Continental Teves, the DSC and brake supplier for BMW. They are saying it's a BMW problem and that is not how the soft-stop feature is intended to work. Since they are supplier, BMW would first have to recognize this as a problem and contact Continental for assistance if needed to correct the problem. The engineers here in the US don't know much and said they would try to talk to someone in Europe and attempt to find me some answers.

-Chris
Sounds like this isn't going to get the attention it needs for a while....

I'm sure both companies BMW and Continental will be going back and forth with the blame game.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #19
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
They drink coffee, eat breakfast, apply makeup, talk on cell phones, I've even seen people reading the paper - all while driving in 70 MPH bumper to bumper traffic. It amazes me that people don't think that actually devoting your attention to driving is important. One split second of inattentiveness is all it takes... it's challenging enough when you ARE paying attention. That's why insurance is so high in the US and there are so many accidents.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 04:29 PM   #20
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimm Me Up

If you're going fast and suddenly let off the accelerator the braking system primes itself for an emergency stop (brake pads move closer to the rotors and system pressurizes). This may be part of the cause because you're getting boosted pressure on pads that are much closer to the rotors. Try driving more civilized and anticipate when u need to brake.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #21
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom
If you're going fast and suddenly let off the accelerator the braking system primes itself for an emergency stop (brake pads move closer to the rotors and system pressurizes). This may be part of the cause because you're getting boosted pressure on pads that are much closer to the rotors. Try driving more civilized and anticipate when u need to brake.
I'm almost certain the problem Bimm Me Up is experience is not the feature you described, but the "comfort stop" or "soft stop" feature.

Continental said they can't understand why brake pressure is being released after the car comes to a stop. Brake pressure is suppose to be slowing released by the computer as the car is coming to a stop, not when the car has already come to a stop. They think it's either a DSC sensor problem on the wheels. They said because they are a supplier, they can't help me and I would need to take the issue up with BMW who can authorize changes to the programming.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #22
onesixeight
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznin
Sounds like this isn't going to get the attention it needs for a while....

I'm sure both companies BMW and Continental will be going back and forth with the blame game.
Yup...that's what's making me very upset. Usually, BMW has recognized other problems and taken the time to correct them. On my 745Li, the power steering used to lock up when at full lock left or right and I'd get stuck in a U-turn. At first, they'd just brush me off and tell me that's the design of the car. Finally, they diagnosed it to the active sway bars tightening and cutting off the power steering assist. Great idea BMW engineers...save the power steering unit and kill me! Smart one!

I'm going to try and get in touch with a West Coast Service Rep to try and assist me. BTW, forget calling Cutomer Relations at the 800 number, they just give you the run around. Call the HQ in NJ, (201) 307-4000.

-Chris
Appreciate 0