E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > First Tesla Model 3 Rolls off the line

07-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

First Tesla Model 3 Rolls off the line

It begins!

This will either break Tesla, or lead it to #1.

http://www.businessinsider.com/first...aign=buffer-ti
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
seedyrom
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M240i, X3 20i, 2002, 2002tii

It's great. I pity Tesla though.
With all the other manufacturers having EV's in the pipeline ready to deploy after Musk breaks the social stigma.
They wouldn't have done it if it weren't for him ... and they get the benefit of not having all their eggs in the one basket
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

We'll see if the other manufacturers can catch up. I've seen a Tesla shop in a mall last week. This is possibly a genious move the caliber of the "genius bar" that propelled Apple to become the most profitable company for a decade.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
We'll see if the other manufacturers can catch up. I've seen a Tesla shop in a mall last week. This is possibly a genious move the caliber of the "genius bar" that propelled Apple to become the most profitable company for a decade.
Or its doing what Oldsmobile used to do in the 70s, and its just going to increase their loss per car even further. Tesla is trying to catch up. They need to create the demand, which except for the West coast doesn't seem to be there at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Or its doing what Oldsmobile used to do in the 70s, and its just going to increase their loss per car even further. Tesla is trying to catch up. They need to create the demand, which except for the West coast doesn't seem to be there at all.
Right now demand for Teslas is greater than supply, yes they are trying to catch up to all the demand for their cars. If you are so sure of yourself go short Tesla stock. You can make a killing knowing what you know, why share your wisdom with us??

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Right now demand for Teslas is greater than supply, yes they are trying to catch up to all the demand for their cars. If you are so sure of yourself go short Tesla stock. You can make a killing knowing what you know, why share your wisdom with us??

Read this and go LYOA
Sure, they are only one's person opinions but Tesla does have some serious issues.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/seeking...s-matter-trust
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I think the chances of him quickly ramping up production to 5 times what he will build this year are highly unlikely and then to keep quality and support (sales, deliveries, repairs) at an acceptable level make it even more unlikely.

I am interested in seeing how the service/sales/delivery side can handle 5 times more cars, or even if his plant can keep up every supplier (with no one failing) has to also keep up and if even one doesn't you can't ship the car (shipping a car missing a part or two doesn't work).
      07-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

We will see. He needs to convince the general public to buy an ev. So far they haven't, even with subsidies. The general public is resistant to change. This isn't the first affordable ev. They look at the limited range, long refueling time, additional cost, etc and weigh that vs some extra gadgets, whether they care about climate change, and my guess is drive over to the Toyota dealer and buy another Camry. The initial orders are for the people who must have the latest gadget and stand on line for the latest iPhone or fanatical greenies. When those dry up its going to be average Joe who determines sales. With global and US sales of ev lower than 1% of market share, and now with gas prices half of where they had been a few years ago and subsidies gone, it'll be a huge uphill battle. Still have yet to meet a single soul in person who can't wait to get a Tesla 3. We will see.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

I've seen quite a few Teslas on the road, and I live in the coal rolling, line dancing, lawnmower racing south.

I see a real potential for Tesla to storm the market sooner than later. Their model X is spot on for the target demographic. We'll see, maybe cashflow will not work for them, maybe the next iteration of the GM Volt will nail the affordable-sensible market so well as to break them, maybe the Prius 3 will stop having a shit interior that looks like a bad immitation of a spaceship from a 70s TV show. But any of that has to happen yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #10
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
I've seen quite a few Teslas on the road, and I live in the coal rolling, line dancing, lawnmower racing south.

I see a real potential for Tesla to storm the market sooner than later. Their model X is spot on for the target demographic. We'll see, maybe cashflow will not work for them, maybe the next iteration of the GM Volt will nail the affordable-sensible market so well as to break them, maybe the Prius 3 will stop having a shit interior that looks like a bad immitation of a spaceship from a 70s TV show. But any of that has to happen yet.
Model x has been a huge disappointment in sales for Tesla. It's also ranked one of the lowest in its category. Motor trend has it coming in 9th in its category. And sales are 18,000 units a year. We're last year, are this year. Not a game changer. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-x/2017/
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

In previous posts I've been saying since the Model 3 was announced that I can't see how Musk will get over $40,000 of price out of the car vs. a Model S, which does not generate any profit for the company (accounting tricks aside), just by ramping up production. Low rate initial production and full-scale production are two different things. LRIP tests the manufacturing process, full-scale tests the quality control.

Yup, I understand Tesla is going to increase the size of the NUMI factory building, but they just broke ground in December 2016, so that manufacturing space is not going to be on line for a few years. When GM/Toyota ran the plant, it was stated it could make up to 600,000 units a year, but that was one car model with different trim levels not 3 cars of different body style and a lot of non-component sharing. I've read where Tesla has brought in professional automotive assembly line integration companies and has done a far better job at component part manufacturing integration. So we'll see, but $40K is a huge number to get out of the price of the car, which is probably somewhere just north of $30K in cost.

However, Space X can get a rocket to return to earth and land vertically, so Musk's engineering prowess is without repute.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-15-2017 at 05:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I see 14 day delivery on their website so supply is greater than demand....at least for the S model.

I have a deposit on a model 3. I think it will be great for errands and dropping off at school, etc.
Appreciate 0