E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 2008 BMW Takes off from an airstrip ...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Robert
Major General
241

 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal


Posts: 6,901
iTrader: (1)

2008 BMW Takes off from an airstrip ...

Then landed ...
5 died ...

RIP

Video here:
http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid=1392485027
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
ironjw
Major
United_States
20

 
ironjw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 818


Posts: 1,417
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ironjw
RIP.... very sad!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
av8thor
Private First Class
United_States
4

 
av8thor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX


Posts: 149
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
JoeClothing
Second Lieutenant
29

 
Drives: E60 M5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chevy Chase, MD


Posts: 233
iTrader: (0)

Judging by the video that was a Space Gray M5.
Very sad indeed.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
35

 
Expired's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston, Tx


Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Expired
Reminds me of that movie where those kids have powers, and then they fly off a cliff and land safely on the ground in a SUV.. pretty recent, I can't remember the name..
Maybe they were attempting it??

-Nathan
__________________
People only know what you tell them.Only in ROFL Copter.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
shiggy
Major
Canada
51

 
shiggy's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 2009 M3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: vancouver


Posts: 1,305
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
Reminds me of that movie where those kids have powers, and then they fly off a cliff and land safely on the ground in a SUV.. pretty recent, I can't remember the name..
Maybe they were attempting it??

-Nathan
that was a movie called The Covenant....however i dont think thats what they were attempting.....it sounds like they were racing down the airstrip and then ran out of road....launch off the embankment and was propelled through the air.
__________________
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #7
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
106

 
BMWCali's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.S.A.


Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post
Judging by the video that was a Space Gray M5.
Very sad indeed.
Yeah. I was able to tell by the wheel design. Is that how you knew, too?

The article says that 2 people were "partially" ejected. There must have been something like 100G's of force to make that happen because I imagine that means that limbs were torn from the body by just the force of the impact.

Very sad. My guess is they all drunk out to have a good time flooring the driver's dad's new M5 up and down the airstrip and didn't realize that when you're going 150MPH, it takes more than 100 feet to stop. Anyone know how many feet it would actually take? My guess is somewhere between 1,250 and 2,000 feet, that's almost 1/3 the length of that airstrip.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #8
JoeClothing
Second Lieutenant
29

 
Drives: E60 M5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chevy Chase, MD


Posts: 233
iTrader: (0)

This is all very sad. I am a member on the M5board and the driver of the car was too.
The same day of the accident he posted on the forum with some questions. As a result many members issued responses regarding why such a young man would own such a powerful car. Many warned him and he provided some very mature responses regarding how careful he would be.

When this story hit members started to put 2 and 2 together only to realize that AmericanM5 (Josh the driver of this car) was in this terrible accident within hours of his postings.

FYI he previously had a 335i so I wouldn't be surprised if he was a member here too.

Here's a link to the eerie postings http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=111454
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
truong321
Second Lieutenant
22

 
truong321's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA


Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
Yeah. I was able to tell by the wheel design. Is that how you knew, too?

The article says that 2 people were "partially" ejected. There must have been something like 100G's of force to make that happen because I imagine that means that limbs were torn from the body by just the force of the impact.

Very sad. My guess is they all drunk out to have a good time flooring the driver's dad's new M5 up and down the airstrip and didn't realize that when you're going 150MPH, it takes more than 100 feet to stop. Anyone know how many feet it would actually take? My guess is somewhere between 1,250 and 2,000 feet, that's almost 1/3 the length of that airstrip.
my guess based on the top gear segment on how the SLR stops in 400 feet from 120mph (iono if this is accurate info) I would say about 600 ft
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 01:33 AM   #10
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
478

 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL


Posts: 12,325
iTrader: (0)

...the chances of this happening...holy shit that's really creepy...
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 01:54 AM   #11
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
106

 
BMWCali's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.S.A.


Posts: 1,208
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by truong321 View Post
my guess based on the top gear segment on how the SLR stops in 400 feet from 120mph (iono if this is accurate info) I would say about 600 ft
There's a big difference between 120MPH and 150MPH. In fact, a huge difference. At the BMW Performance Center, they demo'd how much further it takes to stop a car with just a slight increase. I think the X3 they used stopped in 20 feet from 20MPH and then 40 feet from 30MPH. So if the SLR really can stop in 400 feet from 120MPH and assuming the M5 can do about the same, I'd guess it would take about 900 or 1,000 feet to stop from 150MPH. To be honest though, at that speed, I really don't see how that's possible. The fastest I took my car was up to 140MPH and it felt like if I had to stop I would have made it to Mexico before I got to 0MPH.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 01:59 AM   #12
truong321
Second Lieutenant
22

 
truong321's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA


Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
There's a big difference between 120MPH and 150MPH. In fact, a huge difference. At the BMW Performance Center, they demo'd how much further it takes to stop a car with just a slight increase. I think the X3 they used stopped in 20 feet from 20MPH and then 40 feet from 30MPH. So if the SLR really can stop in 400 feet from 120MPH and assuming the M5 can do about the same, I'd guess it would take about 900 or 1,000 feet to stop from 150MPH. To be honest though, at that speed, I really don't see how that's possible. The fastest I took my car was up to 140MPH and it felt like if I had to stop I would have made it to Mexico before I got to 0MPH.
M5 can't do the same. The SLR is just a mass of technology along with that rear wing in the back.

Anyway back onto topic.

The impact that the neighbors felt is amazing. It's just like wow. I'm speechless.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #13
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
54

 
Jay_328's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 e92
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: VA


Posts: 1,596
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Dude posted about driving safely and not endangering the lives of others, has a careless accident and is dead within 24 hours .... just creepy
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 03:43 AM   #14
plasmasmp
Private First Class
10

 
plasmasmp's Avatar
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northern California


Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1991 Isuzu Rodeo S  [0.00]
2007 M Coupe  [0.00]
I'm shocked. I was just reading that thread yesterday, and now that kid is dead :O Amazing, and he took 5 people with him... just horrible.
__________________
Watch my short film "The Milkman" http://milkmanthefilm.com
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #15
txusa03
Major General
284

 
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Planet Earth


Posts: 6,567
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmasmp View Post
I'm shocked. I was just reading that thread yesterday, and now that kid is dead :O Amazing, and he took 5 people with him... just horrible.
Actually he took 4 others with him.

This is what I imagined after reading the updated article in another thread. The car was seperated into 2 pieces and the engine also got seperated. At the point of impact, 3 got ejected from the car (maybe the 3 passengers). FHP said it was his dad's M5.
__________________
under construction!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #16
DoctaM3
500+ HP Club
United_States
21

 
DoctaM3's Avatar
 
Drives: Silver Gray Metallic X6M & M6
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA


Posts: 176
iTrader: (0)

Driver is from my forum on M5/M6. He was 18 and just got the car--not quite broken in yet... we are all mourning his loss. Looks like he was driving pretty fast with 4 of his buddies, all less than 20 years. We all talk about horsepower and acceleration but we always have to remember that, if not used carefully, speed kills. I see this kind of trauma and regrettably tragedy everyday. Guys, be safe and even if you think you are a racecar driver, use your head, ALWAYS!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Richwm
Captain
United_States
23

 
Richwm's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canyon Country, CA.


Posts: 872
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post

FYI he previously had a 335i so I wouldn't be surprised if he was a member here too.

Here's a link to the eerie postings http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=111454
I was thinking the same thing if he sold his 335 to get the M5 and joined the M5 board he was probably a member here before that.
__________________
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit.
180K miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
35

 
Expired's Avatar
 
Drives: N/A
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Houston, Tx


Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Expired
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeClothing View Post
Here's a link to the eerie postings http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?t=111454
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 109 (2 members and 107 guests)

Quite popular..

-Nathan
__________________
People only know what you tell them.Only in ROFL Copter.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #19
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
211

 
Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue


Posts: 11,038
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expired View Post
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 109 (2 members and 107 guests)

Quite popular..

-Nathan
you mean its been posted like 3 times. one thread has already been closed because of dumb arguments. when people post things like this its always the same 1) wow nice car stupid kid 2) sorry for the famililies 3) age war
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
Chunga
Captain
Denmark
18

 
Chunga's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 black saphire 2008
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denmark, sealand


Posts: 903
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Chunga Send a message via Skype™ to Chunga
Death is always popular.......
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #21
herbz
hi
United_States
44

 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA


Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunga View Post
Death is always popular.......
people are afraid of death..... thus they get intruiged by it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 08:25 PM   #22
Year's_End
RWD only.
United_States
478

 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL


Posts: 12,325
iTrader: (0)

Read "White Noise". It talks about people's fear of death. Good book.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST