F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > squeaky brakes
proTUNING Freaks

12-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
3_dirty_5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

squeaky brakes

I dont have or need new brake pads and lately with all the moisture/rain/snow my brakes will squeak VERY loudly when slowly coming to a stop. It wont happen every single time i slow down to a stop but when it does it sounds horrendous.

I went to the BMW dealership and they told me it was just the type of material they made their brakes from? i dont really remember the rest but has anyone had a similar experience to this?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpling_god
I dont have or need new brake pads and lately with all the moisture/rain/snow my brakes will squeak VERY loudly when slowly coming to a stop. It wont happen every single time i slow down to a stop but when it does it sounds horrendous.

I went to the BMW dealership and they told me it was just the type of material they made their brakes from? i dont really remember the rest but has anyone had a similar experience to this?
Yes. My brakes constantly squeaked in my 2011 750 LI.

The dealer claimed it was normal.

Not for nothing, but I found it embarrassing pulling up to a stop where the public stares at you for violating their peace and quiet.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #3
3_dirty_5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Yes. My brakes constantly squeaked in my 2011 750 LI.

The dealer claimed it was normal.

Not for nothing, but I found it embarrassing pulling up to a stop where the public stares at you for violating their peace and quiet.

yup basically what is happening to me. So you just deal with it? no fix?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:40 AM   #4
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

I took my car in a few weeks ago for squeaky brakes, they recoded something and sent me on my way with no real fix. One negative bmw survey later, they fixed my engine rattle (bulletin 640114) and then fixed my brakes yesterday (chamfered the pads and replaced the brake carriers - bulletin 340913).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
I took my car in a few weeks ago for squeaky brakes, they recoded something and sent me on my way with no real fix. One negative bmw survey later, they fixed my engine rattle (bulletin 640114) and then fixed my brakes yesterday (chamfered the pads and replaced the brake carriers - bulletin 340913).
Interesting. Did you have the low speed squeaking brake issue? I had the service desk person first tell me that everyone has this issue and it was normal and nothing could be done, but that they will have a look anyway.

Upon picking up car after oil change and crappy wiper replacement, they said they couldn't reproduce the brake sound. Of course, as soon as I got in my car and drove through their parking lot I immediately heard squealing brake pad. How are these guys trying to reproduce the sounds? Probably at high speeds, because when I looked at the fuel efficency, the MPG was 3 below what it was when I brought it in. Come on, I know my stage 1 tuned 328 is fun to drive, but testing it like that will not reproduce brake squeak. It's low velocity braking.

So are you saying I should mention this brake bulletin you mentioned and that could solve the issue? I find it hard to believe that the brakes should sound like that. Embarrassing in parking lots!
      12-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #6
mrich1353
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40I

My dealer initially said the complaint of squeaky brakes picked up with cold weather and was typically normal.
They were able to duplicate the squeal which occurred just before coming to a full stop.It was my rear brakes. They had a BMW service bulletin which was followed and seem to fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich1353 View Post
My dealer initially said the complaint of squeaky brakes picked up with cold weather and was typically normal.
They were able to duplicate the squeal which occurred just before coming to a full stop.It was my rear brakes. They had a BMW service bulletin which was followed and seem to fix.
Ok thanks. Yes that's the same issue I have, slowing to a stop, more so with light pressure on brakes at lower speeds.
      12-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn
Quote:
Interesting. Did you have the low speed squeaking brake issue? I had the service desk person first tell me that everyone has this issue and it was normal and nothing could be done, but that they will have a look anyway.

Upon picking up car after oil change and crappy wiper replacement, they said they couldn't reproduce the brake sound. Of course, as soon as I got in my car and drove through their parking lot I immediately heard squealing brake pad. How are these guys trying to reproduce the sounds? Probably at high speeds, because when I looked at the fuel efficency, the MPG was 3 below what it was when I brought it in. Come on, I know my stage 1 tuned 328 is fun to drive, but testing it like that will not reproduce brake squeak. It's low velocity braking.

So are you saying I should mention this brake bulletin you mentioned and that could solve the issue? I find it hard to believe that the brakes should sound like that. Embarrassing in parking lots!
Spot on. Hard braking never gives me the problem, only lower speed braking (usually when coming to a stop)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #9
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33
Quote:
Quote:

Spot on. Hard braking never gives me the problem, only lower speed braking (usually when coming to a stop)
Exact same problem. I've had the car for a year now and it just started a few weeks ago.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the colder temperatures we have now.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

I've taken my car to the dealership 3 times (soon to be 4) because of my squeaky brakes! They said that this is a normal thing that occurs with BMW and it's the material of the brake that causes the noise to be made like this. The first time i went to them they tried to clean the brakes, made it worst. 2nd time i took it they replaced the rotors and nothing changed. 3rd time i took it they changed the pads and disc, made it a little better but still happens when I drive for more than 20 minutes. I'm gonna take it for a 4th time after finals and if they don't fix it, well you know what comes after taking your car more than 3 times. It's pretty sad that actually, my neighbors told me to avoid coming into the garage late at night if my brakes are making noise because the whole building wakes up when i come home.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33
Quote:
Quote:

Exact same problem. I've had the car for a year now and it just started a few weeks ago.

Not sure if it has anything to do with the colder temperatures we have now.
Well I'm having no problem now. Last time they reprogrammed something, this time this week they replaced the brake carriers and all is well now
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F30
I've taken my car to the dealership 3 times (soon to be 4) because of my squeaky brakes! They said that this is a normal thing that occurs with BMW and it's the material of the brake that causes the noise to be made like this. The first time i went to them they tried to clean the brakes, made it worst. 2nd time i took it they replaced the rotors and nothing changed. 3rd time i took it they changed the pads and disc, made it a little better but still happens when I drive for more than 20 minutes. I'm gonna take it for a 4th time after finals and if they don't fix it, well you know what comes after taking your car more than 3 times. It's pretty sad that actually, my neighbors told me to avoid coming into the garage late at night if my brakes are making noise because the whole building wakes up when i come home.
Leave an honest review when you get the email survey (that gets picked up really quick)
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #13
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

I brought my car in for squeaky brakes 2x for low speed breaking, each time the dealer made them much more quiet and never did they give me the excuse that this is normal.

It does seem it is very common for our cars to experience this annoying sound
      12-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
I brought my car in for squeaky brakes 2x for low speed breaking, each time the dealer made them much more quiet and never did they give me the excuse that this is normal.

It does seem it is very common for our cars to experience this annoying sound
Well, like I said, go in there with bulletin 340913. See what they say.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

My dealer's explanation was "a buildup of brake dust".
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

BMW brakes are notorious for squealing. Generally as you move to a higher-performance pad and rotor, they make more noise. The story goes that the brakes squeal because they're so damn awesome. But in comparo reviews, the BMW's don't generally stop significantly better than the competition, so I'm not sure that the evidence backs up BMW's narrative.

In one of those M3 tech deep dive interviews on this board, the BMW engineer mentions the issue of noise associated with brakes. He basically says the same thing, that they have to make compromises between noise vs performance.

Anyway, my E36 squealed. So did my E46. And my E53. And my E70. And yeah, my F30 squeals too. Sometimes the dealer can make the noise go away for a while, but it'll come back eventually. Of course my POS Ford and MB ML320 didn't squeal, but hey what're you gonna do? I keep buying BMW's anyway. I just keep my windows up and tell myself that pedestrians are ogling my awesome EB2 M-sport and not wondering what's wrong with that expensive BMW's brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #17
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Throw on some ceramic pads. I use Carbotech 1521's and have no noise or dust. Lots of good reviews from akebono's.
      12-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #18
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F30 View Post
Seems like this may be a different issue than mine, as my brakes only squeal when they are cold the first couple of minutes, with low speak braking. I believe after this they don't make any noise. I will pay more attention to confirm this today.
      12-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #19
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I had this problem on my car and took it into the dealership last March to have it fixed. In my case, there was a SIB that directed them to change some brackets/carriers on the brakes, and this cured the problem. Mine would squeal just before coming to a complete stop and when starting off after a complete stop. Haven't had the problem since.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #20
elester12
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I had this problem on my car and took it into the dealership last March to have it fixed. In my case, there was a SIB that directed them to change some brackets/carriers on the brakes, and this cured the problem. Mine would squeal just before coming to a complete stop and when starting off after a complete stop. Haven't had the problem since.
What was the SIB number?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #21
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12 View Post
What was the SIB number?
Sorry, I never did get that - they told me about it at the dealership, but didn't mention the SIB number. I'll have to look for the service sheet they had me sign and I'll let you know if I find it.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #22
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12 View Post
What was the SIB number?
Do you know how to read? I posted it a few posts up