E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Corp tax return problems

05-02-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Corp tax return problems

I opened my S Corp in Nov of last year. We mailed our return out near the deadline date in March from our mail box(mistake?). We had zero activity and there was no taxes due as we did not open till 2014. Today I get the letter from Florida Dept of Rev with a delinquent tax bill. What are the chances of me getting this cleared up and what are the chances the return was lost in the mail? I know I signed it as my accountant laid it out for me and mailed as soon as I got back into town.

The reason I am not talking to my accountant or calling the local tax service office is because I received the letter after 5pm today.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
Tony717
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
I opened my S Corp in Nov of last year. We mailed our return out near the deadline date in March from our mail box(mistake?). We had zero activity and there was no taxes due as we did not open till 2014. Today I get the letter from Florida Dept of Rev with a delinquent tax bill. What are the chances of me getting this cleared up and what are the chances the return was lost in the mail? I know I signed it as my accountant laid it out for me and mailed as soon as I got back into town.

The reason I am not talking to my accountant or calling the local tax service office is because I received the letter after 5pm today.
Good Afternoon:

The FDOR only taxes regular C Corporations, not S-Corps. You'll need to show the state by writing a letter and showing that your company is actually an S-Corp by providing the first page of the federal return and acceptance letter from the IRS for S-Corp Election.

Was an IRS Form 2553 filed with the IRS?

It is also good idea to send your tax return "certified mail" (e-file is even better, did your accountant offered it?).

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony717 View Post
Good Afternoon:

The FDOR only taxes regular C Corporations, not S-Corps. You'll need to show the state by writing a letter and showing that your company is actually an S-Corp by providing the first page of the federal return and acceptance letter from the IRS for S-Corp Election.

Was an IRS Form 2553 filed with the IRS?

It is also good idea to send your tax return "certified mail" (e-file is even better, did your accountant offered it?).
thanks for the info. I am not confident about the 2553 being filed, I will check my files. We had her and our attorney set up the S corp. My accountant is not ignorant so assume so. I will check monday for sure. In the future all will be mailed certified. She kind of sprung it on me as I was out of town.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #4
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Get a CPA.
He will take care of it.

I filed my 1st quarter tax late but he took care of it without paying any penalty.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have never paid any FL corp taxes on any of my S-Corps and haven't had any issues. Sales Tax is a different story.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

She's taking care. She responded to my emails and has a "contact" at the local office.
Appreciate 0