E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > U. Va. student sues police for $40M

04-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

U. Va. student sues police for $40M

In other news...

A University of Virginia student charged last year with assaulting ABC agents attempting to stop her for underage possession beer that turned out to be sparkling water has filed a $40 million lawsuit against the state and seven agents.
Instead of beer, a friend of Elizabeth K. Daly, now 21, had purchased a case of canned water from a Charlottesville grocery. Daly said she was terrified when plainclothes agents surrounded her car and banged on the windows ordering her to roll them down.
After one agent drew a gun and another jumped on the car hood, she said she panicked, unsure they were really agents, and fled the scene in her car, grazing two of the agents. The charges were later dropped, and her record was expunged.

WTF?!

Read the full story here: http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/la...a4bcf6878.html
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I read about it when the news first broke about this, I think it was a month or two ago. She bought a case of LaCroix (which I buy also, it doesn't look anything like beer). The girls looks like a complete nerd and I'm not surprised she panicked. Police in this country can be very intimidating, which I think is a good thing, but this was overboard to say the very least. A lawsuit is typical for Americans, but $40M is a lot of money.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I read about it when the news first broke about this, I think it was a month or two ago. She bought a case of LaCroix (which I buy also, it doesn't look anything like beer). The girls looks like a complete nerd and I'm not surprised she panicked. Police in this country can be very intimidating, which I think is a good thing, but this was overboard to say the very least. A lawsuit is typical for Americans, but $40M is a lot of money.
Crazy.

This is a tough one as far as how I'd handle it, but as a young lady I think she did the right thing. Just glad to know it didn't happen in trigger happy LAPD county. Where they shoot first and ask questions after your dead.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

This story originally broke out in June of last year.

Suing the commonwealth for $40M??? Yeah good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

That is insaneeeee
      04-28-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

You know how it goes. She asks for $40M and gets $4M.
      04-29-2014, 02:51 AM   #7
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Police should be very intimidating??

What ever happened to serving and protecting?

Too many police state boot lickers out there. All of these "cops" should be fired and never allowed to carry a firearm again. They are lucky they didnt try this with a well trained vet with a CCW, could have ended very badly for them. All too often cops get cool new gear and with power going to their head already they look for any excuse to "kick some skulls in".
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Seven cops to give some girl an MIP?

This is why they need to stop the militarization of police. It used to be that cops had to look like respectable gentlemen with ties, ironed shirts, pressed pants, etc. Now you see the guy passing out tickets on the highway and he's wearing bulletproof vests, steel toe boots and tactical chest rigs to try to intimidate people into submission. There is such thing as a show of force but scaring poor people who were speeding or piling cops onto a college girl's hood is way too far.

This is the same reason that many cities don't let their LEOs work in pairs anymore, since one thing ends up leading to another. When you give someone the capability to do something they are going to want to use it (SWAT team statistics are a perfect example). The state department and DHS give these departments all of their old vehicles and gear and send guy to train them and give a very "you vs them" lesson. And now those cops are running around thinking they are soldiers and calling us "civilians," well MFer, did you forget that police are civilians too?

Protect and serve, not enforce and intimidate.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
$40 million is ridiculous. On what grounds?

I don't agree with what happened to her, but there's no way it caused $40 million in any damages...
      04-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
$40 million is ridiculous. On what grounds?

I don't agree with what happened to her, but there's no way it caused $40 million in any damages...
I think it's designed to be punitive at that point. Designed to get it into the headlines in the hopes that this type of thing doesn't repeat itself.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #11
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

$40 mil buys a lot of alcohol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep

I hope she gets $40 million to be honest. Its time for a leash to be put on LEO's. Too many abuses and it seems to be getting more and more common for heavy handed tactics to be used like this. Also not a fan of them murdering family pets everytime they make entry into a residence.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Just one thing, they were not police they were Agents, as such they not subject to the same rules as police, they can pretty much do as they like. If you do not believe me, look up Government Agency and whether they are subject to the same rules.

The DEA, ATF, Coast Guard, Board Patrol, Game Warren, ect, ect can walk into your house or stop on the street or in your car and search and retrain you as they like. Why they are not police.

Look at the cases where the DEA broke into people home tour it apart and kill their dogs and nothing happen to them the sues were through out. You have no due process with government agency since they have no authority to arrest you.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #14
2011CrazE89
Moved on
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z430i & 2015 MB C300

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S View Post
Also not a fan of them murdering family pets everytime they make entry into a residence.
I understand LEO's have to do what they have to do, but I hate hearing about those incidents. Poor dog's just doing his job by trying to protect the family only to take a 45 to the chest. Makes me sick.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro
Just one thing, they were not police they were Agents, as such they not subject to the same rules as police, they can pretty much do as they like. If you do not believe me, look up Government Agency and whether they are subject to the same rules.

The DEA, ATF, Coast Guard, Board Patrol, Game Warren, ect, ect can walk into your house or stop on the street or in your car and search and retrain you as they like. Why they are not police.

Look at the cases where the DEA broke into people home tour it apart and kill their dogs and nothing happen to them the sues were through out. You have no due process with government agency since they have no authority to arrest you.
In that case we're back to why they needed seven agents to come in SWAT-style to give a 20-y-o girl a ticket for minor in possession. In fact why involve anybody other than local police?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #16
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
In that case we're back to why they needed seven agents to come in SWAT-style to give a 20-y-o girl a ticket for minor in possession. In fact why involve anybody other than local police?
This.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
This.
ABC agents are the alcohol police in Virginia, essentially. That said, the fact that they thought they needed 7 of them to ticket her water (which has been said doesn't look a think like beer) is another thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #18
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

40M???
I understand that suits serve the purpose of causing change because others are afraid of the penalty, but that's ridiculous.

Good thing she wasn't a he, and black. Dude would definitely be dead for driving away and grazing an officer.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Police should be very intimidating??

What ever happened to serving and protecting?

Too many police state boot lickers out there. All of these "cops" should be fired and never allowed to carry a firearm again. They are lucky they didnt try this with a well trained vet with a CCW, could have ended very badly for them. All too often cops get cool new gear and with power going to their head already they look for any excuse to "kick some skulls in".
I believe the supreme court has already decided that police have no legal duty to protect the people.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Good thing she wasn't a he, and black. Dude would definitely be dead for driving away and grazing an officer.
Didn't want to say it, but exactly THIS.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #21
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Didn't want to say it, but exactly THIS.
Yea good thing Kelly Thomas was white..... oh wait.

Gotta love libtards like these guys trying to inject race into everything.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #22
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea good thing Kelly Thomas was white..... oh wait.

Gotta love libtards like these guys trying to inject race into everything.
Kelly Thomas was one of few "publicized" <---- (key word) incidents where race was not an issue on police brutality.

Not sure how it is in Charlotte, but I am from Los Angeles and I have personally witnessed and read about plenty of police brutality cases where a majority of them are about a black guy who either yells back at a cop or tries to run or simply reaches to pull up his pants and they are shot to death and the cops have some BS reason as to why they killed an innocent man.

Most of these stories don't make the news or local TV.

If a black guy were in this case with 7 agents with guns drawn and he drives away and grazes two agents, it's an instant death sentence. You're not from LA, I don't expect you to understand.
Appreciate 0