E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Clippers Owner Donald Sterling's Racist Rant

Closed Thread

04-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #67
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I'm not alone in my views, even within this thread, but you continue these backhanded insults in only my direction. I'm happy to have a discussion but I'm not going to do so with someone who can't help but come after me personally. You can say what you want to say without the "Not something I would expect from a reasonably intelligent adult" or "someone who claims they're an adult in the real world" or "don't be immature and naive".
Like I said, it's not meant to be insulting. I really don't know, but your reaction to this whole situation is confusing.

"Why is this news?"
"Why do people want him to lose ownership of the team?"
"I don't know why anyone cares."

Really? Is it really that difficult to connect the dots? I'm trying to be really gentle here, please don't mistake that for "going for the jugular". Here I'll add a smiley face for emphasis of my good will.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #68
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
I agree and have taken a stand. You all can help too by joining the #EmptySeatCampaign on all social media outlets. PM me for more details.
That's a great idea. I think having the people and their money do the talking is the best way to deliver the message.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #69
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 GTI, sold my E90 N54

Lol... Why does this shock anyone?

He hasn't been a model citizen before.

They are both nasty and disgusting in their own ways.

Her for "dating" a man that is old enough to be her grandpa and him for keeping around these younger folks that would turn on him.

To add to this trash fest Sterling is suing her for embezzling $1.8mm.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #70
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Ugh. Both of these people are poison. He's a scum bag. She's clearly manipulative as hell. I hope his wife wins her suite against her.

And I agree with Jericho. Being an asshole isn't illegal. That doesn't give her an excuse to violate his rights or break the law if in fact she did.

More evidence of his scumbagness:

http://theclassical.org/theclog/talk...ing-under-oath

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #71
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
We've uncovered an 81 year old racist who is mad at his girlfriend for posting pictures of herself with NBA players on her instagram - is this really news?
Obviously a majority of people think it is. Not that that says too much, a majority of people also think the antics of pop singers are news.

Still, you asked the question. Perhaps more significant, clearly a majority of NBA players think it's a big serious deal. More significantly for Sterling, a majority of NBA administrators do too.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #72
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

"Sir, the question was, is this your handwriting?"

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #73
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Obviously a majority of people think it is. Not that that says too much, a majority of people also think the antics of pop singers are news.

Still, you asked the question. Perhaps more significant, clearly a majority of NBA players think it's a big serious deal. More significantly for Sterling, a majority of NBA administrators do too.

Quote:
Players Sam Cassell, Elton Brand and Corey Maggette complained to me that Donald Sterling would bring women into the locker room after games, while the players were showering, and make comments such as, ‘Look at those beautiful black bodies.’ I brought this to Sterling’s attention, but he continued to bring women into the locker room.”
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #74
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep

lol @ Obama even addressing this.

Why Obama?

How about some of the hard stuff.

We have a recent SCOTUS ruling that allowed foreign and corporate interests to flow unlimited amounts of money into our political system, mega mergers announced in media and pharma in the past few weeks, one company trying to control the worlds food supply and a $300+ Billion yearly trade deficit with a country that hates us, has no environmental responsibility and violates human rights.

Meanwhile corporate profits are booming and jobs and wages are going lower.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #75
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post

lol @ Obama even addressing this.

Why Obama?

How about some of the hard stuff.

We have a recent SCOTUS ruling that allowed foreign and corporate interests to flow unlimited amounts of money into our political system, mega mergers announced in media and pharma in the past few weeks, one company trying to control the worlds food supply and a $300+ Billion yearly trade deficit with a country that hates us, has no environmental responsibility and violates human rights.

Meanwhile corporate profits are booming and jobs and wages are going lower.

Typical news cycle - report crap so we don't have to talk about real issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #76
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile It's over - Sponsors drop Clippers

Guess we all should have seen this one coming. No doubt sponsors of the NBA in general, also, are letting the NBA know they'd better do something big.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rship/8413967/
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #77
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I agree. News doesn't prioritize reporting news anymore. They are an entertainment industry that sells sensationalism.

Racism is such an easy way to get views. It's an "I win" button because the average person is so sensitive to the issue of racism. You add a little racism to any story and it will generate 10 times the traffic. What's worse is we are all to blame.

The day that some ahole saying something racist in his own house doesn't make front page news, is a good day. If he had DONE something racist (e.g. blacks or minorities not allowed courtside), that would be different.

Go to http://www.cnn.com/ and look at The Latest and More Top Stories:
Stuff like Egypt sentences 683 to death is half way down the page, right under Why this 23-year-old has 24 kids. At least it's above Beyonce and Jay Z touring together and Best airport restaurants

Then all the way at the bottom, under Opinion: Will cops be free to search your phone?

People are up in arms about this guy saying something to someone else in private. Meanwhile, our 4th amendment is constantly in jeopardy with privacy issues, the NSA, etc. Our 1st amendment is under attack from religious groups, ISPs, etc.

As someone mentioned before, if people don't like or agree with him, they should vote with their dollars. The gay community was able to oust the recent Mozilla CEO over his beliefs on Gay Marriage. They organized and refused to support the product.

Those people that are going to complain while simultaneously putting money in his pocket are yelling for the sake of yelling. People might be racist but capitalism is blind and money is money.

Last edited by Devious21; 04-28-2014 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #78
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Guess we all should have seen this one coming. No doubt sponsors of the NBA in general, also, are letting the NBA know they'd better do something big.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rship/8413967/

It sounds like Magic is about to get a fantastic deal on a new Basketball team

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #79
XM_Rocks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
lol... fire sale
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #80
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
I mentioned that as well a few posts ago. Can you imagine how the tides will turn in LA going from Dr. Buss running the Lakers to his kid running a horrible team into the ground and Magic, arguably the most well liked and respected Laker of all time, building a championship franchise with the Clippers?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #81
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

I'll tell you right now, people love Magic down here, and not so much Jim/Jeanie Buss. They're still on hot coals for letting Phil get away...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #82
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
I'll tell you right now, people love Magic down here, and not so much Jim/Jeanie Buss. They're still on hot coals for letting Phil get away...
Magic and a marquee free agent signing and you've got the Showtime Clippers. Who would have thunk it????
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #83
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
I don't agree with a single word this dope said but I will absolutely defend his right to say it, especially in the privacy of his own home. I listened to the entire recording and my real question is what her motivation is. She was baiting him into saying many of these ridiculous things despite him telling her to leave him alone. He's made more black peope millionaires than anyone who's criticising him ever has so the hypocrisy is astounding. He has every right to his own opinions, regardless of how offensive they may be.
I agree completely. I was about to quote Voltaire as well but you beat me to it

I feel the same way about hate groups like the westboro baptist church. Sterling should (and does) have the freedom of speech to say whatever he wants. I have the freedom of speech to call him a bigot and explain why he's a despicable human being (if given the opportunity).

He should not be forced to relinquish private property. However, I'm fine with the NBA using its own freedom of speech to put pressure on Sterling to sell, using public humiliation as leverage. That I'm fine with, but I would never agree to forcing him to sell his team.

I think a lot of people read posts like ours and think one or more of the following:

1) We're bigots by defending Sterling
2) We're perpetuating hatred and racism by playing devil's advocate for Sterling

These common, knee jerk reactions completely miss the point. Defending freedom of speech is a subtle point that's often lost in a whirlwind of emotion when dealing with racism, and it's worth emphasizing in cases like this because for most decent human beings it's already obvious that Sterling is an awful, racist, bigoted human being.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #84
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Magic and a marquee free agent signing and you've got the Showtime Clippers. Who would have thunk it????
Yeah. It seems like the current Lakers are kind of like the Lakers from 1992-1993. Older, less athletic, and on the way down.

The Clippers are actually the Showtime team, more like the Lakers from the 80s.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:47 PM   #85
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I would like to think that we as adults, can have a "respectful" conversation on the subject. We may not all agree on everything in the world. But for goodness sakes, hatred and racism is simply a disease that should be stamped out. If not, then ridiculed and shunned at the very least.
You can't fight hate with hate.

Quote:
Yeah it's nice to think that in some fantasy world people have a right to "privacy" and that right would be respected universally, but don't be immature and naive. The world isn't a perfect place.
You accept that the world isn't a perfect place yet condemn this imperfect person for not adhering to the standards of this imperfect world?

Quote:
That's why in the "Post your picture" or "Post your wife" threads, I think they're nice but I would personally never ever post that type of identifying information online. I love being an anonymous jerk.
Some people find it easier to just not be a jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
I agree completely. I was about to quote Voltaire as well but you beat me to it

I feel the same way about hate groups like the westboro baptist church. Sterling should (and does) have the freedom of speech to say whatever he wants. I have the freedom of speech to call him a bigot and explain why he's a despicable human being (if given the opportunity).

He should not be forced to relinquish private property. However, I'm fine with the NBA using its own freedom of speech to put pressure on Sterling to sell, using public humiliation as leverage. That I'm fine with, but I would never agree to forcing him to sell his team.

I think a lot of people read posts like ours and think one or more of the following:

1) We're bigots by defending Sterling
2) We're perpetuating hatred and racism by playing devil's advocate for Sterling

These common, knee jerk reactions completely miss the point. Defending freedom of speech is a subtle point that's often lost in a whirlwind of emotion when dealing with racism, and it's worth emphasizing in cases like this because for most decent human beings it's already obvious that Sterling is an awful, racist, bigoted human being.
1. You guys are defending rights of the individual, not Sterling.
2. The only thing that perpetuates racism in the main stream is the continuos talk the media servers up about it.

While he does have the american right to say what ever he wants, that doesn't mean there won't and shouldn't be consequences for what he says. The NBA has a code of conduct for it's players and i'm willing to bet they also have a code of conduct for it's team owners as well. If they don't, you can bet your ass they will next season.
      04-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #86
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Anyone here remembering Baron Davis and a host of former Clipper players going on public media saying that during shoot arounds or practices Sterling would sit on the sidelines directing racial slurs, etc. towards their direction? It's harassment he got away with cuz he was signing their checks.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #87
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
Anyone here remembering Baron Davis and a host of former Clipper players going on public media saying that during shoot arounds or practices Sterling would sit on the sidelines directing racial slurs, etc. towards their direction? It's harassment he got away with cuz he was signing their checks.
It was harassment he got away with because no one filed a harassment suit.

We all have choices man. Any one of those ball players could have done something about that and they chose not to. Why they made the decision not to act is irrelevant.

I don't get why people are so surprised about stuff like this. Do rich people as a whole get more or less introspective as they become elderly? Do they become more or less entitled as they become elderly? Do they become more or less censored as they age? Rich people have some messed up brains as it is. Give them some perceived power and things just get more and more out of hand. Then an incident happens and all these people who could have done something about this situation years ago come out of the wood work.
      04-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #88
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

You accept that the world isn't a perfect place yet condemn this imperfect person for not adhering to the standards of this imperfect world?
Relax and stop being so butt hurt. I'm not condemning anyone.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread