E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Clippers Owner Donald Sterling's Racist Rant

Closed Thread

04-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #45
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
This is the argument I hear, that unfortunately misses the point:

I nor any of the players or media or folks in this very thread said ANYTHING about RIGHTS.
I guess anyone has a 'right' to be a insensitive, lying sack of shit. BUT then they also have a 'right' to be called out on it and get whatever ridicule is coming.
How is it missing the point when you make the exact same argument in the same post?

Yea, the guy is a bigot. Yea, he's a douchebag. I don't think anyone here has said he isn't.
      04-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #46
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I would like to think that we as adults, can have a "respectful" conversation on the subject. We may not all agree on everything in the world. But for goodness sakes, hatred and racism is simply a disease that should be stamped out. If not, then ridiculed and shunned at the very least.
      04-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #47
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
Why is every one calling Sterling a racist? Seriously why? Every human being on this planet is racist.

The only time im offended is when someone brings racism directly to my face.
You can't stop what people feel. But they're responsible for how they act.

Sterling's actions have been questionable for some time, and people let it slide (although he did have to settle some discrimination lawsuits). This just brought it to a head.

I guarantee you his players feel this is in their face. "Don't bring black guys to the game."

Bottom line. Every college player contemplating going to the Clippers will be asked annoying questions by their friends. Like "Why?" A significant number of black fans will surely feel some reluctance to line his pockets by buying tickets. Sterling has to go now.

What does anyone think NASCAR would do to a team owner in a similar situation? "Bringing disrepute to the sport" is a crime which carries unlimited penalties there.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 04-28-2014 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:23 AM   #48
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I would like to think that we as adults, can have a "respectful" conversation on the subject. We may not all agree on everything in the world. But for goodness sakes, hatred and racism is simply a disease that should be stamped out. If not, then ridiculed and shunned at the very least.
Agreed with all. I'm not endorsing what he said at all.
      04-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #49
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
I don't disagree with that at all, however what I think is crazy is that we're all sitting here discussing the forcible removal of the owner of a team because of a private conversation he had in the kitchen with his angry girlfriend who was baiting him and secretly recording him. It's not like he was preaching this over the PA in the arena. I think she may end up in real legal trouble, and rightfully so.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #50
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I don't disagree with that at all, however what I think is crazy is that we're all sitting here discussing the forcible removal of the owner of a team because of a private conversation he had in the kitchen with his angry girlfriend who was baiting him and secretly recording him. It's not like he was preaching this over the PA in the arena. I think she may end up in real legal trouble, and rightfully so.
And Anthony Weiner should be Mayor of New York?

Remember, Sterling has said and done a whole lot more. This is the final straw, not some uncharacteristic incident.

A few examples here.

http://deadspin.com/your-complete-qu...erl-1568047212

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 04-28-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #51
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Regardless of what any of us think, when people like Lebron come out and say I wouldn't play for that man, he's going to have trouble attracting talented free agents. Leave the college kids out of it, they get drafted they don't have a choice. But when their contracts are up and they have a choice of going literally anywhere in the league, why would anyone choose to play in such a situation? The league and the other owners are limited legally in what they can do, but at a certain point financially it's going to become untenable for him to hang on to the club. Just making up numbers, if he's banned from attending games and gets nothing out of ownership other than having a franchise that's worth $500M and simply as a result of anyone else in the owners box the franchise can attract better talent, sell more merchandise etc. it's worth $1Bn there's no way he can hang on. If, for instance, Magic got a group together and bought the team, overnight just like with the Dodgers it would be a marquee destination once again and worth a LOT more money.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #52
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
And Anthony Weiner should be Mayor of New York?

Remember, it isn't like Sterling hasn't said and done a whole lot more. This is the final straw, not some uncharacteristic incident.

A few examples here.

http://deadspin.com/your-complete-qu...erl-1568047212
I'm not saying he's a good guy. I think he's a complete asshole. Let's get that very clear. What I do think is that he has the right to have a private conversation in his own home and have that not be made public by a woman scorned. I also don't recall anything he said being illegal. Heck, should Erin Andrews be arrested for indecent exposure? She was secretly recorded in her hotel room by a stalker but that video got out. He has a right to privacy and private thoughts, as we all should.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #53
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Yeah it's nice to think that in some fantasy world people have a right to "privacy" and that right would be respected universally, but don't be immature and naive. The world isn't a perfect place.

You have to watch what you say anywhere, and everywhere, especially if you're the leader of such a public facing organization like an NBA basketball team. Heck, I'm not a billionaire, but I'm rich enough to know that I don't post with a recognizable profile that could be traced back to me because some immature idiot could potentially take things I say on here or another forum out of context, use those words to damage my companies reputation, and cause me to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars from potential clients.

Yeah, what Sterling said is not technically illegal, but he put his words out there to be judged by others, and the fiasco reached far enough that even President Obama is commenting on it. You let me know when you can write laws and legislation that can prevent people from taking your words in or out of context, and running wild with them. This is the real world, things work differently than in your fantasy scenarios.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:21 PM   #54
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Eh, I just think it's wrong that his girlfriend secretly recorded him, regardless of context or content. He's not a publicly elected official like Weiner and he didn't put these words out there on a forum or otherwise - he said them in a fight with his girlfriend in his own home.

You have a habit of going for my jugular when we're having a civil conversation so I'm going to "not engage" at this point and move along. I've said my piece.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #55
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Dude, I'm not "going for the jugular", I'm just asking you to be realistic as someone who claims they're an adult in the real world.

Anything you say that is heard by a 3rd party, regardless of whether it's on a phone, typed on the internet, or yelled out on the roof top of some building, if it can be traced back to you personally, you better expect that you may possibly have to answer for those words.

That's the problem with young people today, they post something on Facebook and think "Yeah it's just jokes on FB", then they wonder why they got a pink slip, or why they didn't get hired by a company despite having a kick butt interview. Nothing is private if someone else has read, or heard it. That's the real world, not the fantasy world.

That's why in the "Post your picture" or "Post your wife" threads, I think they're nice but I would personally never ever post that type of identifying information online. I love being an anonymous jerk.

Last edited by MediaArtist; 04-28-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #56
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Dude, I'm not "going for the jugular", I'm just asking you to be realistic as someone who claims they're an adult in the real world.

Anything you say that is heard by a 3rd party, regardless of whether it's on a phone, typed on the internet, or yelled out on the roof top of some building, if it can be traced back to you personally, you better expect that you may possible have to answer for those words.

That's the problem with young people today, they post something on Facebook and think "Yeah it's just jokes on FB", then they wonder why they got a pink slip, or why they didn't get hired by a company despite having a kick butt interview. Nothing is private if someone else has read, or heard it. That's the real world, not the fantasy world.

That's why in the "Post your picture" or "Post your wife" threads, I think they're nice but I would personally never ever post that type of identifying information online. I love being an anonymous jerk.
      04-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #57
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
I'm not saying he's a good guy. I think he's a complete asshole. Let's get that very clear. What I do think is that he has the right to have a private conversation in his own home and have that not be made public by a woman scorned. I also don't recall anything he said being illegal. Heck, should Erin Andrews be arrested for indecent exposure? She was secretly recorded in her hotel room by a stalker but that video got out. He has a right to privacy and private thoughts, as we all should.
Let's say this specific conversation of Sterling and his GF was never recorded and leaked, does that now make him not a racist?

I think you're focusing on the smaller picture.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #58
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
Let's say this specific conversation of Sterling and his GF was never recorded and leaked, does that now make him not a racist?

I think you're focusing on the smaller picture.
He's a racist and an asshole, neither is illegal.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #59
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #60
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He's a racist and an asshole, neither is illegal.
Agreed, but why do you mention neither is illegal? Correct me if I'm wrong but, it seems like you're implying racism and assholes carry the same societal ramifications.

Somebody being an asshole to one of your loved ones I would imagine would bother you to an extent, but somebody being racist to one of your loved ones I would imagine would not be brushed off as easily. Still neither is illegal.

Quote:
Yea, that's wrong bro! Be easy MediaArtist!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #61
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's online, I don't know for sure. As others have pointed out, you seem to be missing the forest for the trees. Not something I would expect from a reasonably intelligent adult. Again not an insult, this is an internet forum, so I don't know for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #62
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Agreed, but why do you mention neither is illegal? Correct me if I'm wrong but, it seems like you're implying racism and assholes carry the same societal ramifications.

Somebody being an asshole to one of your loved ones I would imagine would bother you to an extent, but somebody being racist to one of your loved ones I would imagine would not be brushed off as easily. Still neither is illegal.
That's just the thing. He didn't say horrible things TO anyone, directly. He's obviously not even a very picky racists since his girlfriend isn't caucasian. I think something like the Westboro Baptist Church is far more offensive than this guy arguing with his girlfriend in his own home. We've uncovered an 81 year old racist who is mad at his girlfriend for posting pictures of herself with NBA players on her instagram - is this really news?

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #63
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
The ironic thing is that stuff like this causes a divide between reasonable people everywhere (as evidenced in this thread), regardless of race or background.

Instead of "talking" about it on some forum that won't do anything, do something real about this racist prick's antics. Stop paying for tickets, stop giving the organization the ratings on TV. Will it hurt the organization and the players? Yea, probably, but in my opinion it is worth it even if it only hits his wallet a little bit. Take a stand and actually do something. Get involved, put your money where your mouth is, protest, boycott, etc. Or is it too much of an inconvenience?
      04-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #64
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
It's online, I don't know for sure. As others have pointed out, you seem to be missing the forest for the trees. Not something I would expect from a reasonably intelligent adult. Again not an insult, this is an internet forum, so I don't know for sure.
I'm not alone in my views, even within this thread, but you continue these backhanded insults in only my direction. I'm happy to have a discussion but I'm not going to do so with someone who can't help but come after me personally. You can say what you want to say without the "Not something I would expect from a reasonably intelligent adult" or "someone who claims they're an adult in the real world" or "don't be immature and naive".

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #65
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
The ironic thing is that stuff like this causes a divide between reasonable people everywhere (as evidenced in this thread), regardless of race or background.

Instead of "talking" about it on some forum that won't do anything, do something real about this racist prick's antics. Stop paying for tickets, stop giving the organization the ratings on TV. Will it hurt the organization and the players? Yea, probably, but in my opinion it is worth it even if it only hits his wallet a little bit. Take a stand and actually do something. Get involved, put your money where your mouth is, protest, boycott, etc. Or is it too much of an inconvenience?
I agree and have taken a stand. You all can help too by joining the #EmptySeatCampaign on all social media outlets. PM me for more details.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #66
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I agree and have taken a stand. You all can help too by joining the #EmptySeatCampaign on all social media outlets. PM me for more details.
Closed Thread