E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Production Lexus LFA vs Porsche GT2 RS (mountain run, dynos, drag races, tests etc)

04-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #67
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRideTheWhip View Post
Then you're in the wrong forum section. I also disagree. Someone who buys a car in this price range wants the most for what they are paying for just like anyone else. The LF-A doesn't give you that.
He's in the wrong forum period , seems like he drives a VW.

And if he really thinks that people with serious money don't care about performance , badge , class then he is severly miss informed.
      04-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #68
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep
Drives: Diesel Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Maclaren MPC is one of those cars that is built with a single-focus in mind. Track performance and everything is completely secondary.
this is false
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #69
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iMIAMI View Post
He's in the wrong forum period , seems like he drives a VW.

And if he really thinks that people with serious money don't care about performance , badge , class then he is severly miss informed.
Quote:
Then you're in the wrong forum section. I also disagree. Someone who buys a car in this price range wants the most for what they are paying for just like anyone else. The LF-A doesn't give you that.
This is the (non-bmw) section for a reason. He can post what he wants. I think his point was that people buying this car presumably have other exotics at their disposal or have other interests. It's not that they don't care about performance, but maybe they wanted a rare Japanese exotic that would offer them an entertaining drive and an intoxicating exhaust note. If they wanted a car that posted record breaking numbers they know that buying an LF-A wouldn't fit the bill. The LF-A should be interpreted as what the japanese think a supercar should be and not judged at face value. Maybe I'm the only one that can look past the numbers at a car so beautifully crafted that I don't even care if it isn't as fast as cars half its price.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #70
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
That is not true. It is really the dissing that floats on the internet. Much like how people say M3 is not worth the money since it does not offer the best value for the money. That argument would be valid if LFAs were being produced in the 1000s and still cost the same. Obviously, LFA owners just don't care to go everywhere to justify to people about their purchase and why they found it worth spending all this money on.

Actually ask the LFA owners and they will be able to answer your question.

Well, I searched on google and found the answer from an actual LFA owner who owns a blue LFA already when someone asked him about why he picked the LFA over other exotics at clublexus. Read this and maybe something will make sense to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
It's a fair question, no flame suit needed. Certainly I've considered other exotics, and frankly, most other exotic manufacturers should probably thank Lexus for creating the LFA and getting me to commit to it, because I'm enjoying my experience greatly. It's definitely opened the door to a very long (and extremely costly...) path for me.

So why the LFA? It's the best supercar I've ever driven, ridden in, or even sat in, so that made the decision easy. I hesitated a long time to get a supercar but I decided I was not going to pass up the LFA because it's just that amazing. The engineering and build quality is really impeccable and such is quite obvious from just getting in the driver's seat and working all the switches and levers - not even turning the engine on. Chris Harris was spot on with his review in that this is a car that exudes "special-ness" from every angle and every perspective. It feels special on the road, it feels special on the track, and it feels special even just sitting in it in my garage. There's no other car I've been in that comes close to this.

I've always been a Ferrari fan. I almost bought a 360 CS on two different occasions in the mid-2000s. Even with all the gear and swag that Lexus has given me over the last year (they just sent me two more polos and two more jackets this week, btw) I easily have more Ferrari stuff that I've collected since I was a kid.

I've grown a bit disenchanted with Ferrari though. The FF is just atrocious - it makes me want to trash all my Ferrari memorabilia. I've given the 458 design months but it's not growing on me. And 458s spontaneously igniting isn't attractive either. To top it off, Ferrari's devious deceptions in magazine reviews doesn't help their case. It's impossible to be a fan of an unrepentant cheater.

And the big problem with Ferrari is, they're a pain in the ass to deal with. I don't want to be restricted to dealing with one dealership. I don't want to be forced into paying that dealer off by buying several used models at massive markups (over new MSRP) just to cut the massive line to order a new model, and still have to risk other people cutting in line in front of me.

The LFA buying experience was a stark contrast. It's a joke when people talk about Lexus making people "jump through hoops" to buy one - if a three-minute phone call is "jumping through hoops" I don't know how to describe Ferrari's process of a multi-year wait involving bribing a dealer by buying multiple vehicles at massive premiums. Furthermore, I didn't have to deal with dealers at all - I got to deal with the top caliber employees that Lexus has to offer. The brand manager, the two Lexus central PS', and the Lexus west PS that I regularly interacted with throughout my experience were consummate professionals. (It has really made me realize how much the concept of the dealership network is a sham - a waste of time, effort, and money.)

As far as Lamborghini - I'm not a fan of AWD. The styling is a bit much for me. Still, I think the Gallardo is a fantastic vehicle. Maybe without the LFA, I'd have considered the LP550-2. I think that one is amazing, not least because it's named after Valentino Balboni. The 90° angle grates on me though.

My next performance car will probably be a Porsche, unless I get a new F in the meantime. I want it to be a daily driver so I'd love the 991 GT3 to get PDK even though purists loathe the idea.

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 04-18-2011 at 12:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #71
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

I would never ever consider buying this car even if I had 1 Billion dollars. 375k????????????

I would rather buy a 150k porsche gt3rs ANYDAY. This car doesnt amaze me at all, it looks like a glorified gtr.

Give me a damn gt3rs....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #72
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep

No way in hell would I take an LF-A over a V12 Vantage! Hell I'd rather have a 993 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #73
RioGrandeValley
Major
Rep
Drives: E92/E90 Depends on Mood

^^^^Agree +1,000,000. Porsche racing heritage and engineering was alive and on track way before Lexus came around. Lexus was still an oil molecule inside a 4 cy Toyota Tercel while Porsche was already winning at Lemans.

Tomato
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #74
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RioGrandeValley View Post
^^^^Agree +1,000,000. Porsche racing heritage and engineering was alive and on track way before Lexus came around. Lexus was still an oil molecule inside a 4 cy Toyota Tercel while Porsche was already winning at Lemans.

Tomato
My coffee went through my nose with this post. I actually own a Lexus and a Toyota. Do you think an LFA will hatch from my Rav 4's motor?
      04-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #75
RioGrandeValley
Major
Rep
Drives: E92/E90 Depends on Mood

But of course only thing is it might come with extra doors due to radiation of newer parts!! It will be like a Teenage Mutant ToYoda with huge ears and all
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #76
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Lexus LF-A Forum discussion template:

1: Waste of money.
2: All sold out. Beat that!

1: So what, you could sell 500 of anything that has a Lexus badge on it to old (fat) people.
2: No, it is all about the technology and this wonderful (insert some hard to source stat here)

1: Then why is it barely quicker than a 90k GT-R with all that CF?
2: All about heritage and the "process". Let's now move on to things like why the owners dont care because they own a few hundred supercars.

1: What heritage?
2: No, it is all about the technology and this wonderful (insert some hard to source stat here)

1: Then why is it barely quicker than a 90k GT-R?
2: All about how you feel. Let's now move on to things like why the owners dont care because they own a few hundred supercars.

1 gets tired. Quits.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #77
Bluechipper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post

2: All sold out. Beat that!

1: So what, you could sell 500 of anything that has a Lexus badge on it to old (fat) people.

1: Then why is it slower than a 90k GT-R with all that CF?
2: All about heritage and the "process". Let's now move on to things like why the owners dont care because they own a few hundred supercars.

1: What heritage?

1: Then why is it slower than a 90k GT-R?
2: All about how you feel. Let's now move on to things like why the owners dont care because they own a few hundred supercars.

1 gets tired. Quits.
Edited
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #78
CAPSGOD
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post