E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > 2014 Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

11-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #67
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJack View Post
Congrats to Lewis Hamilton!!!

Kinda anti-climactic after his rocket start but still nice to see how he controlled the race from start to finish. Even better in my opinion was how Nico Rosberg handled defeat. He stated flatly that his troubles had no bearing on the outcome of the race.

Rosberg put on his big boy pants and made it a point to congratulate Hamilton. I don't know that Hamilton would have done the same.

Congrats again to Hamilton!
Well said. I'm not a Hamilton fan by any stretch of the imagination, but he deserved the title. He's a much more gracious winner than loser so for the sake of everyone watching, it was a favorable outcome as we saw the best from both he and Rosberg.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #68
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Does anyone hate those FOM over-lay images?
Like at the start "F1-Down to the wire". Or during the race showing "Battle for the Fourth" with drivers face on it.

Its so cheesy and lame.
      11-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #69
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I actually liked it. I'm at the point where literally anything new is welcomed.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #70
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I actually liked it. I'm at the point where literally anything new is welcomed.

Don't know why. I got goose bumps when I saw those.
      11-24-2014, 11:48 AM   #71
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Attached Images

11-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #72
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

That start was amazing. Congrats to Lewis. Well deserved.

Nico was very gracious in congratulating Lewis. I think that Lewis would have done the same if Nico had pulled a win out his...um...hat? Very classy to finish the race in spite of the point that some would say, there was no point. The 'suggestion' to retire the car, I'm sure, came from Niki Lauda. "There are no points to be scored. It will not affect the outcome. The risk is unacceptable." (I'm paraphrasing what his character would have said in the movie 'Rush' - try imagine Daniel Bruhl doing his Niki Lauda impression). Because of all this, it is hard to just say 'SUCK IT NICO!'

As for McLaren, I would really like to see them keep JB. Magnussen might be the future, but, JB outperformed his young teammate over the course of the season and it just seems wrong for McLaren not to have a British driver in their lineup (I know, it's happened before - Senna/Prost comes to mind). I've only really followed F1 since 2010.

Anyways, other parts of the race were interesting. Good race by Felipe Massa. A few more laps and he might have caught Lewis, or, his tires would have gone off the cliff and Lewis would have run away again. In any case, it was nice to see Lewis win the DC while winning the race.
      11-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #73
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
That start was amazing. Congrats to Lewis. Well deserved.

Nico was very gracious in congratulating Lewis. I think that Lewis would have done the same if Nico had pulled a win out his...um...hat? Very classy to finish the race in spite of the point that some would say, there was no point. The 'suggestion' to retire the car, I'm sure, came from Niki Lauda. "There are no points to be scored. It will not affect the outcome. The risk is unacceptable." (I'm paraphrasing what his character would have said in the movie 'Rush' - try imagine Daniel Bruhl doing his Niki Lauda impression). Because of all this, it is hard to just say 'SUCK IT NICO!'

As for McLaren, I would really like to see them keep JB. Magnussen might be the future, but, JB outperformed his young teammate over the course of the season and it just seems wrong for McLaren not to have a British driver in their lineup (I know, it's happened before - Senna/Prost comes to mind). I've only really followed F1 since 2010.

Anyways, other parts of the race were interesting. Good race by Felipe Massa. A few more laps and he might have caught Lewis, or, his tires would have gone off the cliff and Lewis would have run away again. In any case, it was nice to see Lewis win the DC while winning the race.
Suggestion to retire...that's something I don't get.
Its the last race, the chassis or engine doesn't have to be carried to "next race" or save the engine for the remainder of the season.

Unlike when Hamilton was asking to retire in Spa, Nico just want to see the checker flag to make himself feel better. I respect that and a very noble thing to do.

In the final two laps, Massa was losing grip and on the edge of of the cliff already. Thus he was only a bit faster than Hamilton at that stage. But nonetheless, a great race for Massa.
      11-24-2014, 04:48 PM   #74
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

re: JB. I am becoming more and more convinced that he will wind up in a Porsche 919 Hybrid next year along on Mark Webber's team. That would leave MAG and ALO for McLaren
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 04:52 PM   #75
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Its the last race, the chassis or engine doesn't have to be carried to "next race" or save the engine for the remainder of the season.

Unlike when Hamilton was asking to retire in Spa, Nico just want to see the checker flag to make himself feel better. I respect that and a very noble thing to do.

In the final two laps, Massa was losing grip and on the edge of of the cliff already. Thus he was only a bit faster than Hamilton at that stage. But nonetheless, a great race for Massa.
I believe Mercedes were asking Rosberg to retire because they didn't want Hamilton to lap him
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #76
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I believe Mercedes were asking Rosberg to retire because they didn't want Hamilton to lap him
But I'd hate the feeling of being retired.
Watching the mechanics rushing to start/finish to congratulate Lewis, and being alone in the garage/paddock.

As a racing driver, of course he'd want to finish the race and see the checker flag.
      11-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #77
Terry989
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
I'm not sure why is hasn't been mentioned yet, but the star of the race had to be Daniel Ricciardo. What a fantastic drive to place 4th after starting in Pit Lane.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #78
drchuck72
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post

As I said before, I respect Nico for wanting to finish the race. One possible explanation (as an alternative to not wanting Nico to be lapped by Lewis) is, that, during a race, anything can happen. With no points on the table, with Nico virtually being a moving chicane, if he was involved in a collision he could get hurt. Yes, preserving the car is less of a concern, preserving the driver is of the highest priority, hence, my paraphrased quote from 'Rush'.

Just a thought.

#ForzaJules