E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Would I have gotten in trouble?

10-08-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Would I have gotten in trouble?

So yesterday roomie goes out for a party and gets totally hammered. Me on the other hand spent a nice night out with the GF and got home early round 1 or 2ish so I flipped on the TV and watched The Rise of Taj and Bobby on TV. 5am rolls by and roomie comes stumbling over to the door (I think) and tries to open the door but doesnt. Then I hear a knock. So I get up walk over to the door, look out the peep hole and find that no one is there.

Now, I live in a condo and its not uncommon for people to get off on the wrong floor and try to open the door when they are really "disoriented" (God knows it's happened to me before) and I figure this must be another one of those times. So I sit back down and watch for another 30 mins and decide to go to the washroom. I walk past the front door and notice that the crack between the floor and the door, half the light isn't coming through. My best guess was that roomie passed out and is sleeping on the floor outside in the hallway.

I didnt bother to check though, and frankly I didnt want the hassel of dragging him into his room, and furthermore I just dont give a shit. My roomate and I do not get a long and haven't spoken in about 3 months. My thought is that its his responsibility to get back into the apartment and if anything its his dumbass drunken friends who should ensure that he gets back into his apartment ok (like the night before).

My question is, if he died out there would I have been held responsible?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
Booboo12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Sedan 2007

only if you opened the door and slammed it on his head...
repeatedly...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Gquie
Those Crazy Germans
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

lol.. i guess its a good thing i didnt do that...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

i could never live with another dude
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

No, but somebody (his parents) would probably try to sue you and make you think you were responsible. Just the sad world we live in today.

Go read up on the good samaritan laws in your particular juristicion. They usually say you aren't required to give anyone any help but if you do you are protected.

Now if you were witnessing a crime you would be compelled to either report it or act accordingly in the situation. In that case you most likely would be either prosecuted criminally or sued civilly.

Eg: If your roomate was knocking on the door because he was being assaulted and died as a result of the assault which you witnessed you may be held criminally liable for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Just have to edit your story to not be aware of him ever knocking.

You should have drug him down to someone else's door, layed him on his stomach, pulled his pants around his ankles and, tucked his hands underneath him near his junk. You might want to use something like his toothbrush to push his hands under him to avoid getting too close to his unit

Pretty sure that'll get rid if him one way or another. You could tell him either his drinking buddies must have done it to him or he did it himself. If you want to make the "I did it bitch" statement leave the toothbrush sticking out of his ass.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2007, 07:33 PM   #7
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
In some jurisdictions, if you have medical training of a certain level or are, say, a police officer or fireman, you have a legal obligation to assist.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0