E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Manual Driving Questions??

10-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
Canon8mm60D
Photographer for Hire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

Manual Driving Questions??

When you are driving and going from 3rd to 4th, lets say, and you are cruising.

Do you let the clutch all the way out then go onto the gas or do u let the clutch out alot then start to give it gas then let the clutch out the rest of the way with light gas.

Or can you just switch gears real fast with almost popping the clutch out where the previous gear had raised revs already?

Also while on a hill can u just stay on the brake and let the clutch half way out to the engagement point and it wont roll back then get on the gas or just let the car with the clutch only roll it into first??

Thanks guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
friedymeister
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Convertible

3 to 4: If I shift quickly, I let up the clutch quickly to the friction point, then slow down and release.

On a hill you shouldn't bring it up to the friction point and then give gas unless you're using the handbrake, otherwise you will roll back and stall.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Canon8mm60D
Photographer for Hire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Range Rover Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedymeister View Post
3 to 4: If I shift quickly, I let up the clutch quickly to the friction point, then slow down and release.

On a hill you shouldn't bring it up to the friction point and then give gas unless you're using the handbrake, otherwise you will roll back and stall.

I did it today on a hill with a pick up truck, brought the clutch to the engagement point, while my foot was on the break and actually feathered out the clutch only while releasing the break and got it going and quickly feathered in the gas pedal. Worked everytime and never rolled back once.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
BenArcher
Rep
Drives: MG 125i M-Sport

Going up gears, I try time things so I reach the friction point as revs line up to the new gear, and I apply the gas at the same point. It normally takes me a while to be able to do this well on a particular car, but once I have the timing right I feel it makes the gear changes very smooth whilst quite quick.

Going down gears, I tap the gas to raise the revs whilst the clutch is down again to try match the revs.

On a small slope I can go to the friction point whilst still on the brake and then switch to accelerator but on steeper hills it will either stall or roll backwards.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If you are driving an E90 with a manual transmission, the BRAKE system has a built-in function called hill hold, where if the car is in gear, it will hold the brakes for about 2 seconds while you engage the clutch. It prevents the car from rolling backwards (or forward) while engaging the clutch.
Appreciate 0