E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > M3 Revealed today

03-06-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

M3 Revealed today

No surprises here. V8, wide fenders, carbon roof. Sounded great! Here are some pics.

03-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Reaction on other fora is pretty negative. IMO the 3 coupe in general has become a used bar of soap. The lines are to soft and the rear-end in particular is uninspired - especially the taillights.

The E90 M3 is far from hideous, but it tries to make aggressive a design that has started off soft. People will buy it and love it, but the E46 CSL M3 is the car that people will talk about in 20 years, not this one.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I agree with spudwest. I mean i like it, but the E46 will remain the real legend. I hope this baby puts down some serious magic. But really, we never know. Maybe this will REALLY grow on us.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
bryan@mwerks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I agree with spudwest. I mean i like it, but the E46 will remain the real legend. I hope this baby puts down some serious magic. But really, we never know. Maybe this will REALLY grow on us.
I would just suggest you wait until you've seen it in person. The pictures weren't doing it for me either, but standing next to it (especially when it's running) you gain a different perspective. Yeah, the E46 CSL will definitely be a clasic in 20 years, but I think the E92 M3 will be earn a lot of respect.
      03-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

You're probably right, Bryan. The design evolution BMW has undertaken over last few years, I think has tended to settle in better than would have been expected, even with 5-series and 7-series facelifts. I guess BMW fanatics are particularly sensitive about the 3-series because it so embodies what we have come to love about BMW. But the 3-series is about to be replaced in that respect by the 1-series. The 1er will become the quintessential BMW driving experience (for 4-seat models, anyway) and the 3-series will continue to increase in prestige, price and luxury at the expense of an intimate and invigorating driving experience. Also, as it stands, a new 3-series is barely in reach for me, and I would assume the majority of enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0