E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > It's not a light source, it's a Dark Sucker

02-14-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

It's not a light source, it's a Dark Sucker

OK, for those arguing if 0.999...= 1 (it doesn't, get over it), I pose the question of...

Is it really a light source, or a darkness sucker?

My first example.....

A new candle has a white wick. You will notice after the first use the wick turns black, representing all the dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Kilockel
I like monkeys.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet black 2006 BMW E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
OK, for those arguing if 0.999...= 1 (it doesn't, get over it), I pose the question of...

Is it really a light source, or a darkness sucker?

My first example.....

A new candle has a white wick. You will notice after the first use the wick turns black, representing all the dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the way of the dark flowing into the candle. Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range.
I'm choosing to speak about light bulbs:

Light bulbs are dark absorbers. You can prove this by placing your hand over an area on the light bulb. You should notice the pool of darkness that's built up behind your hand, because it can't get to the bulb anymore!

When they "burn out" it's actually because the light bulb is full and can't hold anymore darkness! It's just too bad that there is so much of that pesky substance around.
      02-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #3
Scottz71
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F25 X3 - Space Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilockel View Post
I'm choosing to speak about light bulbs:

Light bulbs are dark absorbers. You can prove this by placing your hand over an area on the light bulb. You should notice the pool of darkness that's built up behind your hand, because it can't get to the bulb anymore!

When they "burn out" it's actually because the light bulb is full and can't hold anymore darkness! It's just too bad that there is so much of that pesky substance around.
when a light bulb burns out, 99.9% of the time it is due to overheating and subsequent separation of the filament...

how much dumber could these off-topic questions get...
'07 E92 335i - Space Gray (Brock) retired
'15 i3 REx Giga World - Capparis White (Randy) retired
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottz71 View Post
when a light bulb burns out, 99.9% of the time it is due to overheating and subsequent separation of the filament...

As darkness has mass, the transfer of darkness to the filament causes a buildup of heat. This can actually be proven. The filament breaks when it is full.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
Kilockel
I like monkeys.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's unfortunate that people aren't willing to entertain some concepts, regardless of what they believe.
      02-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

The black is carbon, you fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
The black is carbon, you fail.
the carbon is displaced by the absorption of darkness. You fail.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:

How much less interesting and proletariat can you be??? In a discussion thread where infinity is featured, I'm thinking we may have found a practical demonstration of the concept in your intolerance and lack of basic thought process.

Just cause you're too wound up and self absorbed (Or maybe just confused and defensive) doesn't mean that others do not find the discussion at least amusing...

Take a pill, go for a drive or something.
      02-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #9
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these can't handle all the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When the dark storage unit is full, it must either be emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can be operated again. Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass generates heat. Thus, it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker. Candles present a special problem, as the dark must travel in the solid wick instead of through glass. Thus, it can be very dangerous to touch an operating candle. Dark is also heavier than light. If you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets darker and darker. When you reach a depth of approximately fifty feet, you are in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the lighter light floats to the top. The immense power of the dark can be utilized to man's advantage. We can collect the dark that has settled to the bottom of the lakes and push it through turbines which generate electricity and help push dark to the ocean, where it maybe safely stored.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

How does dark transfer energy??

Experimentally, we know that "shining" a "light source" onto any surface will cause that surface to get warmer. This is called radiative heat transfer. D.S.T. must be able to explain these observations, as well as the theories of the Photon Conspiracy explain them, in order to be a useful theory.

Space around us is naturally dark. Free darkness exists everywhere. Only through the actions of Dark Suckers (such as light bulbs, stars, fireflies, etc.) can this natural state be changed, and Dark Suckers have to expend energy continuously in order to operate.

The reason for all this darkness is: All objects have darkness embedded within them. Every time a dark sucker operates, it pulls this intrinsic darkness out of all surfaces that are in an unobstructed path to the dark sucker. This removal of intrinsic darkness is an action-at-a-distance; the forces that cause this are not well understood, but we do know that this action propagates at the speed of light (or should I say, the speed of dark) from the dark sucker to the incident surface.

This intrinsic darkness is bound into the electrons of the surface material. We might even call a surface a "host material" for darkness. The more dulled ("darker" looking) the host material is, the more readily it gives up darkness in response to a dark sucker. (A perfectly reflective material, if such a thing existed, would give off no darkness at all.) The reason host materials get warmer as they release their intrinsic darkness is that there is a binding energy between darkness and its host material. Sucking out darkness releases that binding energy in the form of heat. The stronger the dark sucker and the duller the surface, the more darkness gets divested from the host surface and the hotter the surface becomes. (Incidentally, the retinas of your eyes contain special pigments that send signals to your optic nerves when dark is sucked out of them — sucking out yellow-frequency darkness is experienced as seeing yellow light.)

Eventually, the surface can become so hot that it glows with incandescence, and becomes a dark sucker itself. It should be noted that objects which glow due to their own heat, called "blackbody radiation", always cool off as a result of this radiation. This cooling off is merely the darkness being sucked into the blackbody radiator (hot dark sucker) and making the dark sucker itself into the darkness's new host material. The darkness-to-new-host binding process consumes heat to form its new bonds, each of which has its own binding energy, and the blackbody gets colder as a result.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:

You really want to know? I think they are funny and a good break from my daily routine of hearing you people bitch about...well... everything.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You really want to know? I think they are funny and a good break from my daily routine of hearing you people bitch about...well... everything.
no comment in the other post, regarding holes and electrons?

edit....never mind! I don't think anyone understands that thread.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I see a Monty Python theme arising...
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
I see a Monty Python theme arising...

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.

Damn you, now I need to rent that movie again!

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 03:11 PM   #15
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Who goes there?
King Arthur: It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Pull the other one!
King Arthur: I am, and this is my trusty servant Patsy. We have ridden the length and breadth of the land in search of knights who will join me in my court at Camelot. I must speak with your lord and master.
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: What? Ridden on a horse?
King Arthur: Yes!
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: You're using coconuts!
King Arthur: What?
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together.
King Arthur: So? We have ridden since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, through...
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Where'd you get the coconuts?
King Arthur: We found them.
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
King Arthur: What do you mean?
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Well, this is a temperate zone
King Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
King Arthur: Not at all. They could be carried.
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
King Arthur: It could grip it by the husk!
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
King Arthur: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
King Arthur: Please!
1st soldier with a keen interest in birds: Am I right?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Wow, very nice.

I guess I saw hole and Swallow just popped into my head... and from there it was... umm... coconuts.. yeah, that is.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
Kilockel
I like monkeys.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
How much less interesting and proletariat can you be??? In a discussion thread where infinity is featured, I'm thinking we may have found a practical demonstration of the concept in your intolerance and lack of basic thought process.

Just cause you're too wound up and self absorbed (Or maybe just confused and defensive) doesn't mean that others do not find the discussion at least amusing...

Take a pill, go for a drive or something.
Quote:
THANK YOU!!!
      02-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #18
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
ill explain it using a great example, the sun.

now, we all know the sun has sunspots, and they appear to be black holes on the suns surface. however, its not that they are actually black, its just that the light produced by the sun is about 400% brighter than those black spots. in reality, the sunspots are ten times brighter than the full moon! so its all an illusion of contrast.

damn, i love the discovery channel. bullshit, i lied. this was from Naked Science on National Geographic. (thats my source)