E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Dog owners please chime in

10-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Dog owners please chime in

I let my dogs go out in the front yard and one of them was sniffing the grass and got one of those dried up stems up his nose. When I noticed he was sneezing I went to pick him up and saw the stem. I tried to pull it out but he kept moving his head and sneezing. It has pretty much disappeared into this nose/mouth/etc. and he's no longer sneezing (actually once in a while he does it still).

I'm a little worried about it but don't know what to do. Is it like humans that when you get something up your nose does it just come in your mouth and you can then spit it out?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

That could be bad, my sister in-law is a bit nutty about her dog, but he got one up each nostril out on a walk. His breathing was almost stopped and she had to take him emergency and they had to put him under to get them out of his nose.

Lots of those things have barbs on them so they won't back out. My cat got one in his eye and we had to take him in and have it removed.

I would have it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
That could be bad, my sister in-law is a bit nutty about her dog, but he got one up each nostril out on a walk. His breathing was almost stopped and she had to take him emergency and they had to put him under to get them out of his nose.

Lots of those things have barbs on them so they won't back out. My cat got one in his eye and we had to take him in and have it removed.

I would have it checked out.
Calm down. Not a HUGE deal where you need to bring your dog to a Veterinarian at this very moment but I would give him/her a call tomorrow and get some advice on what to do. Dogs are very resilient when it comes to getting injured, banged up. If it was bothering him he would be more sedentary and not really moving around do to the stem impeding his breathing. So don't worry, keep a close eye on him, and call the vet.

P.S. - I've never heard of a stem getting pulled through but my parents dog once sniffed a few blades of grass up and through his nose. My mother is a nut when it comes to these things, so she rushed him to the vet, only to find the grass was already dissolved/no longer in his nasal passage. He either sneezed it out or swallowed it somehow. Don't worry too hard.
      10-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Thanks guys! He was sneezing a lot when it got in his nose (trying to get it out). He's stopped sneezing and has been fine for a while now but I will call a vet tomorrow and ask them about it. Damn, kinda wish I didn't let him outside when I did.
Appreciate 0