E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 335i Build

03-27-2024, 09:00 AM   #1
mchcf
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 n55 335i

I am planning on buying this n55 and doing all this for the internal mods, i am totally new to this but have done a decent bit of research. please let me know if i missed any supporting mods/ overlooked anything

the car: 2013 e92 n55 90k miles
it’s very well looked after, fully stock and has service records of all maintenance that these cars need at around 100k miles like water pump, valve cover etc so in theory i should just be able to get the car and add the mods

mods:

perf intake 50/50

catless dp

intercooler 7.5”

chargepipe

mhd tuner

Please lmk if i’m looking over anything/ anything here doesn’t make sense, thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 05:26 AM   #2
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchcf View Post
I am planning on buying this n55 and doing all this for the internal mods, i am totally new to this but have done a decent bit of research. please let me know if i missed any supporting mods/ overlooked anything

the car: 2013 e92 n55 90k miles
it’s very well looked after, fully stock and has service records of all maintenance that these cars need at around 100k miles like water pump, valve cover etc so in theory i should just be able to get the car and add the mods

mods:

performance intake

catless dp

intercooler

chargepipe

ignition coils

1 step spark plugs

mhd tuner

Please lmk if i’m looking over anything/ anything here doesn’t make sense, thanks
Hello! A few things I'd like to mention just so you are aware.

A cold air intake will not help you gain any performance and is counterproductive most of the time, but it does allow you to hear air being intaked more. I had the same one but there really is no point to it in my opinion other than it being cool looking and sounding.

Spark plugs and coils: You don't need to upgrade any of these unless you are really pushing the car with upgraded turbos and beyond. I have used stock plugs and coils on my MHD Stage 2+ for around 5 years. Now maybe it is a good practice to put better plugs but you will have to gap them to the appropriate size. I suggest getting these parts from FCP Euro that way you have lifetime warranty and can change them every year for free.

The downpipe you linked is for FXX series N55 and not E9X, please be sure to take the E9X version. Additionaly, the downpipe doesn't comme with the turbo side gasket as well as the exhaust side gaskets+hardware kit. These 2 items should be added to your cart when you checkout.

The chargepipe is good, just don't forget to select the N55 option when checking out to ensure it's not a N54 chargepipe.

The intercooler is also good but I would recommend sizing it up for sure. Especially if you live in a place that's pretty hot or humid or that you plan on doing even more with the car. The 7.5" upgrade isn't much more expensive, but the other 1000WHP rated one is probably overkill.

If you are automatic transmission, I also suggest you look into xHP transmission tune. They make the ZHP6 much faster on shifts, it's actually so impressive.
mchcf0.00
      03-28-2024, 07:07 AM   #3
mchcf
Rep

Thanks for ur response, I forgot to mention that i am planning on getting a better turbo in the future so i am building it with that in mind and i’m fine with spending a few extra bucks to ensure the health of the engine and reliability since this will be my daily.

About the cold air intake, What do you mean by counter productive? if that’s the case i won’t get it. I was under the impression that it’s better for the health of the car but i already knew it is not very helpful and is more for the sound

Spark plugs and coils, I will wait until i upgrade my turbo for these then.

Thanks for letting me know that dp wasn’t for the e9x i didn’t even realize, is this one good?

Chargepipe, yessir

Intercooler, yes i was planning on that since i live in south florida it is both very humid and hot. should of said 7.5” in the first post

tranny tune, I will 100% do this. Is this with mhd or a separate purchase?

thanks for ur input and i’m going to update my post with ur suggestions
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 10:30 PM   #4
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for ur response, I forgot to mention that i am planning on getting a better turbo in the future so i am building it with that in mind and i’m fine with spending a few extra bucks to ensure the health of the engine and reliability since this will be my daily.

About the cold air intake, What do you mean by counter productive? if that’s the case i won’t get it. I was under the impression that it’s better for the health of the car but i already knew it is not very helpful and is more for the sound

Spark plugs and coils, I will wait until i upgrade my turbo for these then.

Thanks for letting me know that dp wasn’t for the e9x i didn’t even realize, is this one good?

Chargepipe, yessir

Intercooler, yes i was planning on that since i live in south florida it is both very humid and hot. should of said 7.5” in the first post

tranny tune, I will 100% do this. Is this with mhd or a separate purchase?

thanks for ur input and i’m going to update my post with ur suggestions
Most of the upgraded air intakes are open to the enginr bay meaning they intake hot air and heat soak much faster than the stock closed air system which funnels fresh air directly from the grills. They might provide a bit more airflow and might be worth it when going for upgraded turbos and pushing to more serious power ranges, but anyways the compressor inlet is the true bottleneck beforehand. This being said, if you want to upgrade the cold air intake, try to find a closed box solution, like the stock design.

The DP you linked is the right one for the E9X N55s! It does come with the exhaust side gaskets and hardware but you would have to add the turbine side gasket as well as a V-Band clamp since the ones on the car will probably be toast.

For the transmission tune, it's made by RBT Tuning. It's essentially very similar to the way MHD works (in terms of the app, flashing and functionality) but for the TCU rather than the ECU. I feel like their products are more well mainted and have better customer services which is pretty nice. They have very good products. xHP transmission tune is very popular and defenetly something you should look into. Also, if you happen to have an xDrive, which I doubt since you are in Florida, they also have an app called xDelete which lets you turn xDrive on and off and customize it's power delivery as you wish!
mchcf0.00
      03-29-2024, 05:16 AM   #5
mchcf
Rep

Ah ok that makes sense, i’ll prolly just stick to the stock intake for now since the full box ones like the oem are pricey. I looked for a upgraded compressor inlet online but couldn’t find one could you link pls ?

And ty i found the tranny tune ur talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 10:14 PM   #6
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok that makes sense, i’ll prolly just stick to the stock intake for now since the full box ones like the oem are pricey. I looked for a upgraded compressor inlet online but couldn’t find one could you link pls ?

And ty i found the tranny tune ur talking about.
Good idea. If you search N55 e90 High Flow Inlet you will find a few different options. VRSF and Pure Turbo have some. Basically looks like a 90° bended pipe with one end having a flange containing a throughole for a mounting bolt.
      03-30-2024, 12:01 PM   #7
mchcf
Rep

this one good? https://www.dinancars.com/products/i...arts/D760-0038
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:29 PM   #8
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No unfortunately this seems to be a kit for FXX N55s. Their air intakes pass towards the front of the engine bay near the bumper whike the E9X N55 intake passes towards the rear of the engine bay, near the cowl.
mchcf0.00