E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > majors/degree... what's yours? (advice to the grasshopper)

02-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #45
335is808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by synclastica_86 View Post
I really get your point about saving for the future, and that's probably the right thing to do. But really, it's really nice to have nice things at a young age. The same toy is much more exciting when you are 20. Idk, I think I getting quite irrational on this topic. I recently had a family member pass away unexpectedly. He worked hard, deferred his spending and had loads of savings. But he ended up not enjoying any of it. Sad.
+1 sorry to hear about your family member. You only live once this life time so gotta enjoy it because you never know whats going to happen..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #46
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Oh damn, I go to UMBC as well, graduating next Spring. Lol

Triple majoring in English (B.A.), Philosophy (Honors Program), and Political Science, all in 4 years. Law school next Fall for me.
Another UMBC student! I saw your X1 yesterday in the Events lot! Looking good!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #47
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Quote:
I really get your point about saving for the future, and that's probably the right thing to do. But really, it's really nice to have nice things at a young age. The same toy is much more exciting when you are 20. Idk, I think I getting quite irrational on this topic. I recently had a family member pass away unexpectedly. He worked hard, deferred his spending and had loads of savings. But he ended up not enjoying any of it. Sad.
Sorry to hear about the loss. Its clear the OP needs to make a bunch of money to continue his lifestyle. He hasn't even got to the expensive bills yet so I wish him the best of luck. That said Healthcare is always going to be around for jobs.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #48
synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335is808
Quote:
+1 sorry to hear about your family member. You only live once this life time so gotta enjoy it because you never know whats going to happen..
Thx.

In terms so major selection. I really suggest finding something u enjoy. It's really difficult to plan ahead for everything as u'll never know what the market is like when u graduate. I was a high-school dropout. I would have never guessed that I could have ended up doing research in astrophysics. They most important thing is that u can enjoy life.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #49
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
Another UMBC student! I saw your X1 yesterday in the Events lot! Looking good!!!
Thank you!!

Walking from that parking lot (or the one near the Church) is such a pain, but damn good exercise. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #50
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Thank you!!

Walking from that parking lot (or the one near the Church) is such a pain, but damn good exercise. Lol
I have a torn ACL. I can't walk that much.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #51
Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #52
335is808
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
The graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?"
The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
+1 you have shone the light, sir.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #53
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
The graduate with a finance degree asks, "How much will it cost?"
The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How to record the cost?"
Slight correction, otherwise spot on!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #54
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Our family is full of engineers, and yet ironically not a single one of them works as an actual engineer (in industry). My uncle used to be in academia but has since held senior executive positions at HP and ABB, and now he's an MD at Accenture. My dad is in academia and also works in patent law as an expert witness and consultant. My cousin used to be a VP at leerink swann and is now CEO of a boutique biotechnology consulting firm.

The point is that an engineering degree is extremely versatile. Go to the executive management page of any Fortune 500 company and chances are half of the positions will be filled with engineering or computer science guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #55
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Business Managmt is too general.
If u go business route - i would do Accounting or Finance. Be prepared to work high pressure job but u have potential to make decent $$$.

Healthcare is much safer and stable career, RN or PA pays decent.

Whatever you choose make sure there is a job market that directly correlates to ur major. Intern in those fields to make sure u like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #56
Give_Em_The_DD
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 black 335xi coupe

Both myself + younger brother went the accounting route
Both did 3-2 program @ IU + Kelly school of business and passed CPA...had job offers prior to graduating @ big 4 firms.

Younger brother still works in field (tax and is busy as all get out now) but I left the accounting world last year, was bored out of my mind.

My advice would be do something you have a genuine interest in, not something you are just good at.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #57
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335is808 View Post
what kind of jobs could you get with your degree if you dont mind me asking?
Developer, Analyst, Project Manager (this is in I.T. of course).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #58
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Median salary for someone taking Cyber Security here in MD with a Bachelors is around $100,000 a year. Anyone in the CyberSecurity field?
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #59
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Median salary for someone taking Cyber Security here in MD with a Bachelors is around $100,000 a year. Anyone in the CyberSecurity field?
I think the salary in the area is due to the concentration of Federal agencies. And these jobs typically require a security clearance. So you'll have to factor in whether you'll be able to pass the screenings as it's not always a given you'll get one. Plus many of those jobs in MD are concentrated in the Annapolis Junction/Hanover/Ft. Meade area.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #60
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman311 View Post
I graduated with an IS degree and have a lot of friends in the IT field. This isn't accurate at all. I've had head hunters reach out to me along with my friends and we're all doing quite well with many opportunities out there. Our specialties range from coding/PM to infrastructure to business leaders (we're in our late 20s to early 30s now).

I don't want to spend a lot of time justifying and typing about my experience, but it's a lucrative and interesting field to be in. You do have to exhibit passion and be good at something (jack of all trades, master of none won't cut it). If you approach it as just a job that pays well, employers aren't going to want you. Needless to say, you do have to stay on top of technology since it's always evolving, otherwise you'll just be dead weight (I've met some older folks who seem to be stuck in the analog era and haven't made it).

One of the most important things with anyone going into a IT degree program is to seek out internships and establish connections/experience. We've had some great interns at our company and had job offers immediately because they went for the internship opportunity and performed.
+1

And I want to emphasize what you wrote which is having to stay on top of technology. In IT, you're only as valuable as what you know. Technology is always changing. It's important to be up on the latest which means constant re-educating of yourself. Many people, including myself, have built out our own labs in our homes to practice and learn on. While you don't have to do this, it does make a major difference in how successful you'll be. I also was very fortunate to have worked in environments where money was no object. I had the ability to buy the latest cutting edge equipment and to get hands on experience. This has translated into how marketable I am.

I had a job interview with a large utility company. They had a position they were trying to fill for 8 months. Couldn't find anyone that was a fit. The interview process consisted of them asking how I would architect a hypothetical new building they were standing up down to the IP addressing schemes. Due to having the practical experience in doing what they were asking, I was offered the job that day.

To the OP, don't rule out the trades either. Even though I have an Engineering degree, I take a more practical look at what a degree really buys you. I feel one can do well with being in a trade like being an electrician, plumber, welder, etc. Those jobs do have their limitations but I feel they've been unfairly looked down upon by the white collar people. It really boils down to focusing on what you're interested in and building on it. Not just focusing solely on a job that pays well.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #61
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
This is always a good resource for DC-area, security-cleared IT jobs:
http://www.clearancejobs.com/files/s...ation_2013.pdf
      03-01-2014, 12:23 AM   #62
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

I need to start looking for Internships. I graduate in the fall.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #63
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
This is always a good resource for DC-area, security-cleared IT jobs:
http://www.clearancejobs.com/files/s...ation_2013.pdf
Saved! Thanks!!
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #64
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

I've been a teacher (elementary in California) for 16 years now. Do NOT go into teaching until you have a very clear understanding of the profession. Go volunteer in schools, talk to teachers, and talk to administrators to get an idea of what is truly involved. You don't want to spend an extra 1-2 years getting and paying for a credential and realize it's not for you. Many non-educators think they know what it's like since they all went to school as kids but there's MUCH more behind the scenes than you would imagine. I would estimate actual "teaching" is less than 50% of the job. There's a reason why half of all new teachers quit in the first five years!

Pros:
Many breaks throughout the year although much of it is often spent taking professional development if you want to significantly increase your pay.
Working with students - honestly, there's nothing better than seeing your students develop, grow and improve! <-- this one is huge - this is what keeps people in the teaching field despite all the cons.
Union - job stability if you can attain tenure. (i.e. survive your first two years) Keep in mind that there are groups that are trying to increase the time to earn tenure or eliminate it entirely in the U.S. so by the time you start teaching, there may not be tenure anymore.
You're your own boss (at least in your own classroom). Although you are told what to teach, you have the freedom to decide HOW to teach, in most cases.

Cons:
Lack of respect from much of American society - the job can become very political. Expect to be criticized, stereotyped, and blamed in the media/community often for much of the countries educational woes.
Little upward mobility - some teachers go into administration but you have to obtain another credential which means more schooling and $$.
Long work days - 10-14 hour days are the norm. I know the perception is all teachers work from 8-3 but that's a total myth.
Low pay considering the amount of education required to teach (not to mention the importance of teaching!). If I could use all the units I've earned after my Bachelors degree towards a more advanced degree, I probably could have earned a Phd by now.
Out of pocket expenses. I spend about $1000 of my own money for my students each year. Teaching is the only profession where you steal things from home to bring to work!
Crazy parents - most are very supportive but all it takes one crazy one to make your day hell.

Last piece of advice: I would highly recommend substitute teaching before making the plunge. It's a great way to get your feet wet, get your foot in the door AND earn some extra cash. In California, all you need is a four year degree and pass a basic skills exam (background check too).

Good Luck!
      03-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #65
335is808
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza70 View Post
I've been a teacher (elementary in California) for 16 years now. Do NOT go into teaching until you have a very clear understanding of the profession. Go volunteer in schools, talk to teachers, and talk to administrators to get an idea of what is truly involved. You don't want to spend an extra 1-2 years getting and paying for a credential and realize it's not for you. Many non-educators think they know what it's like since they all went to school as kids but there's MUCH more behind the scenes than you would imagine. I would estimate actual "teaching" is less than 50% of the job. There's a reason why half of all new teachers quit in the first five years!

Pros:
Many breaks throughout the year although much of it is often spent taking professional development if you want to significantly increase your pay.
Working with students - honestly, there's nothing better than seeing your students develop, grow and improve! <-- this one is huge - this is what keeps people in the teaching field despite all the cons.
Union - job stability if you can attain tenure. (i.e. survive your first two years) Keep in mind that there are groups that are trying to increase the time to earn tenure or eliminate it entirely in the U.S. so by the time you start teaching, there may not be tenure anymore.
You're your own boss (at least in your own classroom). Although you are told what to teach, you have the freedom to decide HOW to teach, in most cases.

Cons:
Lack of respect from much of American society - the job can become very political. Expect to be criticized, stereotyped, and blamed in the media/community often for much of the countries educational woes.
Little upward mobility - some teachers go into administration but you have to obtain another credential which means more schooling and $$.
Long work days - 10-14 hour days are the norm. I know the perception is all teachers work from 8-3 but that's a total myth.
Low pay considering the amount of education required to teach (not to mention the importance of teaching!). If I could use all the units I've earned after my Bachelors degree towards a more advanced degree, I probably could have earned a Phd by now.
Out of pocket expenses. I spend about $1000 of my own money for my students each year. Teaching is the only profession where you steal things from home to bring to work!
Crazy parents - most are very supportive but all it takes one crazy one to make your day hell.

Last piece of advice: I would highly recommend substitute teaching before making the plunge. It's a great way to get your feet wet, get your foot in the door AND earn some extra cash. In California, all you need is a four year degree and pass a basic skills exam (background check too).

Good Luck!
thank you for taking your time to write this, one question i do need to know is, how is the job market for being a teacher now days? Is it harder to become one with just a BA since most teachers have their masters?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #66
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

One benefit of being a public school teacher is that the retirement benefits tend to be very good.

For example, in Texas I just plugged in some hypothetical data about a 65 year old teacher retiring this year with 40 years of service. I plugged in $60,000 as the average for the 5 highest salaries of this teacher's career.

The monthly retirement benefit in Texas = (years of service)*(.023)*(Five year average salary)/12

For the numbers I plugged in, this teacher would receive $4600/month for life.

Add in social security and investment income and teachers tend to retire very well.
Appreciate 0