E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Are we overthinking it?!

05-30-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Warning - rant coming up!

Are we enthusiasts overthinking cars? At least some of us?!

- Gorgeous 2014 C63 AMG with hardly any miles for a bit over 40K - I should just shut up and buy it, but here I am saying.. it's not the latest generation, its resale value will drop like a brick!

- Beautiful C400 for just under 40K, I test drive it and say.. the transmission could be better! It is beautiful in every other way, but I notice the one negative thing about it.

- Lovely Mustang GT, great deal on it too - but I notice the throttle lag on it!

- Amazing lightly used m235i, a good price on it, but all I can think of is the fact that the m240i will be out soon.

- The 340i is GREAT, but its "too mainstream" now.

- Jag XE drives awesome, but interior feels too cheap.

... and so on.

At some point.. I feel like I am overthinking it!! Just buy the car you like, enjoy it and stop thinking about other cars! Just yesterday I met a few old friends, one of them had bought a GLC300 (Merc SUV) for over 70K! I was like holy moley, 70k! I wouldn't pay so much for THAT car, if I had 70K in my budget there are so many other models I would buy instead.

But my friend is oblivious to all of that. He has no idea what a Macan is. He doesn't care, he likes THIS car and he bought it, he is having tons of fun with it. Now for a moment that makes me pause, who is the enthusiast here and who is having the most fun?!

So that makes me wonder if sometimes we (at least some of us) are overthinking it. I have another friend, he doesn't consider himself an enthusiast, he has a base 4-cylinder Accord. But he drives his car a LOT, goes on a ton of roadtrips and enjoys driving. He does have a lot of fun with his car.

Sometimes I wonder if we should take it down a notch, enjoy the moment, enjoy what we've got, stop thinking about the next toy, and drive more. Or if we're really in the market for a car, just buy the one that appeals to us on a base level, with its flaws and all, and stop searching for the "perfect" one.

Like I said, just a rant. Maybe this applies not just to cars but other things in life as well. Stop searching for perfection, appreciate the thing we have more, and just go after what we like.

I think I was a lot happier than I am now, when I first got my Mazda 3. Just saying.
      05-30-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

There will always be something better tomorrow. But sometimes there will be no tomorrow! You gotta life Life TODAY and be happy... because not everyone will see a "tomorrow".
Appreciate 12
      05-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
Zing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
There will always be something better tomorrow. But sometimes there will be no tomorrow! You gotta life Life TODAY and be happy... because not everyone will see a "tomorrow".
^This. SO much this!
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
TylerJohnson97
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Austin Yellow

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
cprx7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i;

Quote:
This! this man for US president
      05-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
It's a travesty that we can only hit "appreciate" once per post.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I understand the OP's post...sometimes I wish I could just find "the" car and drive it for a few years. I average a car every other year, it's ridiculous!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 08:15 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

If you aren't happy with what you have now, pick the best of the bunch today and worry about tomorrow tomorrow! If you are... then wait for the V8 Jag XE. Mmmmm.
      05-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

I got buddies who wouldn't dream of spending dough on a new car - even though they could easily afford too. They will buy a used car and drive it til the wheels fall off and they enjoy every moment with it. me on the other hand, always want the latest and greatest (that I can afford) which usually means something brand spanking new. I resent them somewhat because they remind me of how fiscally irresponsible I'm being but like Dakelone says, enjoy TODAY!
We are all wired differently.
Appreciate 2
      05-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Its nice that there are so many good choices. For me, I agonize over car purchasing decisions. But, its also part of the fun. Each time I try to explore outside the BMW brand I fail to make a move. This forum was a big help to me. Once I decided on an F30, then it was engine, packages, options, colors. It can drive a person crazy. The homework was worth it. 2 1/2 years now and still happy with the choices.

I'm sure you can have fun with each of the cars listed. However, if the transmission is not as good as the 8AT ZF I would think twice. The transmission is too important. The ZF is brilliant.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #11
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Yes, we do, no doubt.

Most of us overestimate what we need as well, in terms of performance.

Though, as we get older, we learn there's no such thing as "perfect", understand better what really matters to us and what compromise we can live and be happy with. Applies for cars, homes, spouses....etc
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:

- Gorgeous 2014 C63 AMG with hardly any miles for a bit over 40K - I should just shut up and buy it, but here I am saying.. it's not the latest generation, its resale value will drop like a brick!

- Beautiful C400 for just under 40K, I test drive it and say.. the transmission could be better! It is beautiful in every other way, but I notice the one negative thing about it.

- Lovely Mustang GT, great deal on it too - but I notice the throttle lag on it!

- Amazing lightly used m235i, a good price on it, but all I can think of is the fact that the m240i will be out soon.

... and so on.

At some point.. I feel like I am overthinking it!! Just buy the car you like, enjoy it and stop thinking about other cars! Just yesterday I met a few old friends, one of them had bought a GLC300 (Merc SUV) for over 70K! I was like holy moley, 70k! I wouldn't pay so much for THAT car, if I had 70K in my budget there are so many other models I would buy instead.

But my friend is oblivious to all of that. He has no idea what a Macan is. He doesn't care, he likes THIS car and he bought it, he is having tons of fun with it. Now for a moment that makes me pause, who is the enthusiast here and who is having the most fun?!

So that makes me wonder if sometimes we (at least some of us) are overthinking it. I have another friend, he doesn't consider himself an enthusiast, he has a base 4-cylinder Accord. But he drives his car a LOT, goes on a ton of roadtrips and enjoys driving. He does have a lot of fun with his car.

Sometimes I wonder if we should take it down a notch, enjoy the moment, enjoy what we've got, stop thinking about the next toy, and drive more. Or if we're really in the market for a car, just buy the one that appeals to us on a base level, with its flaws and all, and stop searching for the "perfect" one.

Like I said, just a rant. Maybe this applies not just to cars but other things in life as well. Stop searching for perfection, appreciate the thing we have more, and just go after what we like.

I think I was a lot happier than I am now, when I first got my Mazda 3. Just saying.

Yes. You are overthinking it. I am overthinking it. We are overthinking it. I agree with this post. There has to be a way to "recalibrate" our thinking.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #13
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:

... and so on.

1st of all The Mazda 3 was a great car and still is a class benchmark..

Now what is better an exotic hot stripper or a hot stripper?

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 05-30-2016 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #14
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

I usually get a new car every 2-3 years, so whats the point of overthinking it. Go test drive some cars and make a decision. A couple years from now you will driving a different car anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 11:51 PM   #15
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

I don't overthink it, in regards to comparing myself to others. Some of my wealthy friends have driven R8s, Porsches, Range Rovers and AMG S classes (rotating through them every few years).

And two of my other wealthy friends live in modest upper middle class homes, and drive Toyota Camrys, Honda Accords and minivans. They could care less about flashy cars and ostentatious homes, but they vacation in Italy, Greece and Asia....and their kids graduated from elite private schools.

Different strokes for different folks...

So I never overthink it, as I'm given many different examples of how to live. And I follow none of them, because I live for me....though I'm happy for them (and they're happy for me).
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 02:02 AM   #16
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
I don't overthink it, in regards to comparing myself to others. Some of my wealthy friends have driven R8s, Porsches, Range Rovers and AMG S classes (rotating through them every few years).

And two of my other wealthy friends live in modest upper middle class homes, and drive Toyota Camrys, Honda Accords and minivans. They could care less about flashy cars and ostentatious homes, but they vacation in Italy, Greece and Asia....and their kids graduated from elite private schools.

Different strokes for different folks...

So I never overthink it, as I'm given many different examples of how to live. And I follow none of them, because I live for me....though I'm happy for them (and they're happy for me).
Lol I don't mean overthinking in comparison to what others have, I never do that. I mean overthinking in terms of:
- This car is great but its transmission could be better
- This car is great but why does it lag for a second when you floor it?
- The weight on this car..
... and so on.

We enthusiasts tend to notice the negative parts so minutely, whereas the others just pick a car they like and enjoy it. So in a sense, I feel like our attention to all the aspects of the driving experience is a curse and a blessing. While it lets us appreciate the fine details of a good machine (like an M), it also takes away from the experience when we drive lesser cars.
      05-31-2016, 02:41 AM   #17
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer
This car is great but why does it lag for a second when you floor it?
Wheelspin
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 04:53 AM   #18
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Totally identify with the OP. sold my E60 (530d) in August of last year, and borrowed the other family cars where needed. used public transport the rest of the time.
I became obsessed with looking at every write up, video, review on mid size SUV's. it got to the point where my wife and kids would walk away, as i never spoke about anything else. wifey would often say "STOP overanalyzing it!!!".

Having said that - the F25 with it's options has been a great success for the family.We found the right one in January 2016. Everyone loves it, and we enjoy the SUV more than any other car we have owned. That speaks volumes about my choice and options.

If your lucky enough to change your car every year or two - then yes - buy whatever takes your fancy. If however you plan to keep a car a long time (7-10 years in my case), then it's only natural to pour over every detail and make sure it's the right car for your needs/wallet/enjoyment.

Last edited by Pinewood; 05-31-2016 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 07:55 AM   #19
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses or having the latest and greatest.

Why do people need to upgrade their car every 2 years?

Buy a car you like, and keep it! Hopefully can drive my 1er for at least 10 years. Keep a car that long and who gives a crap about depreciation.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 07:59 AM   #20
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
:t humsup:
Appreciate 2
      05-31-2016, 08:15 AM   #21
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Shock therapy for everyone
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #22
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Stop trying to keep up with the Joneses or having the latest and greatest.

Why do people need to upgrade their car every 2 years?

Buy a car you like, and keep it! Hopefully can drive my 1er for at least 10 years. Keep a car that long and who gives a crap about depreciation.
It doesn't always have to do with keeping up with anyone else, I think a lot of us just have a short attention span and want something different. So you may like it.. for a year. Then get the itch for something else.
Appreciate 1