E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > majors/degree... what's yours? (advice to the grasshopper)

03-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #67
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
One benefit of being a public school teacher is that the retirement benefits tend to be very good.

For example, in Texas I just plugged in some hypothetical data about a 65 year old teacher retiring this year with 40 years of service. I plugged in $60,000 as the average for the 5 highest salaries of this teacher's career.

The monthly retirement benefit in Texas = (years of service)*(.023)*(Five year average salary)/12

For the numbers I plugged in, this teacher would receive $4600/month for life.

Add in social security and investment income and teachers tend to retire very well.
Not sure about Texas, but in California, public school teachers do not receive Social Security as we have CalSTRS.

Just like with any salary, don't just look at the raw numbers. Cost of living plays a HUGE role. For instance, in the city where I teach, the average home is well above the million dollar mark - can't really live comfortably on $60,000 year especially if you want to buy a house. My current 50 year old, one bedroom condo cost $400,000 and I live in a "poor" area.
      03-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #68
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335is808 View Post
thank you for taking your time to write this, one question i do need to know is, how is the job market for being a teacher now days? Is it harder to become one with just a BA since most teachers have their masters?
As far as requiring a masters, it depends on the district/state you teach. Many states require you earn your masters within a certain amount if time after you start teaching. That means you may be teaching full time then going to class until late at night and/or weekends. You'll also be paying for the masters degree out of you own pocket in most cases too.

In California, a masters in not required. You usually do get a bump in salary to have one but it's usually not much. My district pays an extra $800 (not per month but YEAR). If I earned my masters from the nearby university, it would take about 10 years to break even - not much of a financial incentive. I'm sure it varies from district to district though.

The job market should be improving as the economy improves. A few years ago, the market was pretty bad as class sizes increased and classes were cut (more kids pier class means fewer teachers). Just remember, in most cases, teaching is kind of like a sports season where the hiring is mostly done in the late spring and summer. Once the hiring season passes, the jobs are much harder to find and you'll have to wait until the next year rolls around again.

A benefit of teaching (at least in public education) there's is a certain amount of job security once you've gained seniority and tenure. It doesn't mean you can't be fired or laid off, but at least the district has to go through a proper process first. When you don't have tenure, the district can cut you loose for just about any reason (actually, they don't even have to give you a reason).
      03-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #69
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakuza70 View Post
Not sure about Texas, but in California, public school teachers do not receive Social Security as we have CalSTRS.

Just like with any salary, don't just look at the raw numbers. Cost of living plays a HUGE role. For instance, in the city where I teach, the average home is well above the million dollar mark - can't really live comfortably on $60,000 year especially if you want to buy a house. My current 50 year old, one bedroom condo cost $400,000 and I live in a "poor" area.
Oh interesting I didn't know that. That might be true of Texas as well. I'm not sure. I just assumed all workers received social security.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #70
335is808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Quote:
As far as requiring a masters, it depends on the district/state you teach. Many states require you earn your masters within a certain amount if time after you start teaching. That means you may be teaching full time then going to class until late at night and/or weekends. You'll also be paying for the masters degree out of you own pocket in most cases too.

In California, a masters in not required. You usually do get a bump in salary to have one but it's usually not much. My district pays an extra $800 (not per month but YEAR). If I earned my masters from the nearby university, it would take about 10 years to break even - not much of a financial incentive. I'm sure it varies from district to district though.

The job market should be improving as the economy improves. A few years ago, the market was pretty bad as class sizes increased and classes were cut (more kids pier class means fewer teachers). Just remember, in most cases, teaching is kind of like a sports season where the hiring is mostly done in the late spring and summer. Once the hiring season passes, the jobs are much harder to find and you'll have to wait until the next year rolls around again.

A benefit of teaching (at least in public education) there's is a certain amount of job security once you've gained seniority and tenure. It doesn't mean you can't be fired or laid off, but at least the district has to go through a proper process first. When you don't have tenure, the district can cut you loose for just about any reason (actually, they don't even have to give you a reason).
Thanks for being so informative . But being right out of college would i have to get some years of experience first as a sub or could i have a chance at become a teacher right out of college. I live in Hawaii also, and if i do become i teacher i would like to teach here as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #71
Trijicon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Yes I've considered it. The only thing holding me back from joining a nursing program is the amount of people doing it, the competition to be a nurse down here in hawaii is pretty stiff. But I guess that goes for most careers
My cousin who has his nurse cert, no NP or RN degree. He got into a small company doing patient follow up for skilled nursing facilities (taking vitals and distributing meds). Did that for a year making $110k/year. After his director left, he stepped in and is now making $180k/year. He is the only person on the senior team with a medical skill so he is pretty secure. He's 26.

He's on the fence between a Tesla S or M5
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #72
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for being so informative . But being right out of college would i have to get some years of experience first as a sub or could i have a chance at become a teacher right out of college. I live in Hawaii also, and if i do become i teacher i would like to teach here as well.
You don't necessarily need prior teaching experience to find a job right after getting your credential. I'm sure it doesn't hurt but, like most jobs, it's who you know that will end up getting you the job. That''s why I believe it's important to substitute in the area where you'd like to teach. Make sure the administrators and teachers know you. That's what I did while I was getting my credential - subbed one day a week then ended up getting a long term substitute job for a third grade teacher. Most importantly, substituting is such valuable experience! I quickly learned I did NOT want to teach middle school!

Coincidentally, my family on my mom's side is from Hawaii (my mom grew up in Hilo but most of the family is on Oahu now). Also, my aunt was a teacher for 30 years and is now retired. Hawaii is very unusual in that the entire state is one huge school district. In California, each city has it's own school district so there's many to choose from when looking for a job. I sure hope the pay is good because I know Hawaii is a very expensive place to live - much like the Bay Area!
      03-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #73
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post
My cousin who has his nurse cert, no NP or RN degree. He got into a small company doing patient follow up for skilled nursing facilities (taking vitals and distributing meds). Did that for a year making $110k/year. After his director left, he stepped in and is now making $180k/year. He is the only person on the senior team with a medical skill so he is pretty secure. He's 26.

I'm happy for your cousin but damn! I don't understand how that kind of work is worth $110k/year. That's almost unheard of for someone performing the duties of a nursing assistant.

I'm assuming his job entailed more than just taking vitals and distributing medications.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:12 PM   #74
335is808
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijicon View Post

That is some serious money.. Congrats to him though, with a boatload of envy
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #75
335is808
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You don't necessarily need prior teaching experience to find a job right after getting your credential. I'm sure it doesn't hurt but, like most jobs, it's who you know that will end up getting you the job. That''s why I believe it's important to substitute in the area where you'd like to teach. Make sure the administrators and teachers know you. That's what I did while I was getting my credential - subbed one day a week then ended up getting a long term substitute job for a third grade teacher. Most importantly, substituting is such valuable experience! I quickly learned I did NOT want to teach middle school!

Coincidentally, my family on my mom's side is from Hawaii (my mom grew up in Hilo but most of the family is on Oahu now). Also, my aunt was a teacher for 30 years and is now retired. Hawaii is very unusual in that the entire state is one huge school district. In California, each city has it's own school district so there's many to choose from when looking for a job. I sure hope the pay is good because I know Hawaii is a very expensive place to live - much like the Bay Area!
How coincident! I grew up on Oahu Hopefully I can cope with the lower salary and wages of hawaii. The cost of living is brutal here. thankfully i'm inheriting the family empty family house so i wont be needing to pay the biggest factor, which is rent.
Appreciate 0