E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > My fellow foreigners

02-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My fellow foreigners

I moved to Phoenix, AZ in 1996 and haves lived here ever since. Went back to Vietnam (Saigon) April 2013 for the first time. I don't have vivid memories of it being gone for so long but from what I remember there are advancements as far as landscape/business buildings are concerned but at its core it has remained the same...except it feels more crowded since I left as a kid.

Being there it first amazed how they, and my family when we were there, can live like that without the things we take for granted living in modernized places like the US until my sister reminded me that is the only life that they know. Being there for three weeks made me thoroughly appreciate what a simple life it is. Shortly after I came back I had a moment of laughter when I saw a meme of "First world problems" .

So my question is...

How often do you go home? What do you notice after coming back?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Home grown here. Can't say i sometimes fantasize about the lights going out here. That would make for a simple life in deed.

Glad you made it home and enjoyed it.
      02-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

What would happen if you called it Saigon there today, would that create problems? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Home grown here. Can't say i sometimes fantasize about the lights going out here. That would make for a simple life in deed.

Glad you made it home and enjoyed it.
Definite enjoyed it, planning on going back again this or next summer. Was pretty bummed when we landed and I found out we were due to leave before the rainy season hit. I definitely want to go back during the wet season, bring on the rain!!! :thump:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianN54 View Post
What would happen if you called it Saigon there today, would that create problems? Just curious.
People from Saigon call it that, to everyone else it's Ho Chi Minh. Just like University of Phoenix Stadium, everyone I know around here calls it Cardinal Stadium- I only hear it referred by its official name on TV.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
BavarianN54
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Interesting, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
BenchRacerYo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT

It's the Cardinals stadium. Anyone who calls it anything else is a square!