E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Police brutality or very cautious policing?

11-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #23
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
So wait... Guy gets sexually assaulted behind bars and you are ok with that? That is justice? How is that any different than these cops beating him up... It's all vigilante justice. Karma if you will...

I agree that cops should arrest him and lock him up. But people are supposedly sent to jail for rehabilitation and for the protection of the general public. Not to lose their anal virginity for their sins.
Not okay with getting sexually assaulted in prison, and I do agree the system is broken. But the solution isn't to break it further and call it a day. Two wrongs don't make a right, yadda yadda.

The justice system really needs to be reworked (especially in terms of how jails work), but it's not the place of the cops to take this into their own hands, vigilante style. Prison rapists should be punished further for their crimes, just like these cops need to be help responsible for their crimes.

Saying beating up a criminal is okay just because he's a criminal undermines the whole way the system works. The fix is to fix the system. But that'll never happen.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #24
Bumer
Comrade Vlad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 M3, 2006 325i

Garage List
1999 BMW M3  [9.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Not okay with getting sexually assaulted in prison, and I do agree the system is broken. But the solution isn't to break it further and call it a day. Two wrongs don't make a right, yadda yadda.

The justice system really needs to be reworked (especially in terms of how jails work), but it's not the place of the cops to take this into their own hands, vigilante style. Prison rapists should be punished further for their crimes, just like these cops need to be help responsible for their crimes.

Saying beating up a criminal is okay just because he's a criminal undermines the whole way the system works. The fix is to fix the system. But that'll never happen.
Basically, you said it yourself; these criminals should be prosecuted in accordance with laws by justice system, which is broken and need a fix, which will never happen, which means they cannot be prosecuted the way they should be, which means that their criminal deeds will go unpunished. And all that means they will have no problems to commit same or worse crimes.

Sorry, I'm still siding with PD officers and salute them for beating the $hit out of this and any thug. And I wish we had more officers like that. May be if more thugs get beat up, we would have less of them on streets?
      11-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #25
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumer View Post
Basically, you said it yourself; these criminals should be prosecuted in accordance with laws by justice system, which is broken and need a fix, which will never happen, which means they cannot be prosecuted the way they should be, which means that their criminal deeds will go unpunished. And all that means they will have no problems to commit same or worse crimes.

Sorry, I'm still siding with PD officers and salute them for beating the $hit out of this and any thug. And I wish we had more officers like that. May be if more thugs get beat up, we would have less of them on streets?
I didn't say that they will never get prosecuted the way they should be. I said the justice system works for most cases most of the time. There are things that need to be reworked, like prison rape, and prisons in general which do not rehabilitate and only punish, but that doesn't mean that the guilty don't get convicted.

If the criminal gets beat up for stealing a car, who's to say the police can't beat up a shoplifter too? What if that shoplifter was stealing from a grocery store to feed his family? Where do you draw the line? It's smaller things like this that creep into things bigger issues.

You might have a clear idea in your head of that line.. of who is beat-up-able, and who isn't, but everyone has a different definition of who "deserves" to be beat up. Everyone's line is different. This is why there needs to be a justice system, to set a standard for crimes and punishments.

Justice isn't a matter of opinion, though it always becomes one. A cop friend tells me he WOULDN'T ticket a mom with her kids speeding to soccer practice, but WOULD ticket a lone guy speeding to work. I would do the opposite. His reasoning is that the lady has her kids in the car, he doesn't want to do that to her, he feels bad, etc. But for the guy, he doesn't feel bad. My reasoning is that the lady should be driving EXTRA carefully BECAUSE her kids are in the car, and therefore she deserves that ticket more than the guy who is running late and just trying to not get fired (because I'm sure a lot of us have been there).

This is why justice must be blind, as the saying goes. The second the police bend the system to suit their particular opinions (which is what they did), is exactly when the justice system really begins to collapse. Is it broken now? Sure. But nowhere near as terrible as it will be if police are given ultimate discretion instead of regulations to follow.

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0