E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Do you have an Android phone? Then you need to read about Carrier iQ....

11-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Do you have an Android phone? Then you need to read about Carrier iQ....

I recently ran across this post on XDA developers, even though it's about 7 months old.....basically, it tells about a really wicked big-brother rootkit app that HTC and Samsung are shipping on their phones, as well as Sprint having it installed on their Android phones.

In-depth analysis:
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-all-evil-ciq/

Basics:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...89&postcount=3

More in-depth analysis:
http://androidsecuritytest.com/featu...ers/carrieriq/

CiQ's response to the testing:
http://androidsecuritytest.com/

The good thing about this app is that it is shipped w/logging off, but if it were ever turned on, you'd be hard-pressed to know it. The best solution is to remove it. Root your phone and install a custom ROM, making sure the developer has removed CiQ.

Knowledge is power, folks. Arm yourselves.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 11-22-2011 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I recently ran across this post on XDA developers, even though it's about 7 months old.....basically, it tells about a really wicked big-brother rootkit app that HTC and Samsung are shipping on their phones, as well as Sprint having it installed on their Android phones.

In-depth analysis:
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...-all-evil-ciq/

Basics:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...89&postcount=3

More in-depth analysis:
http://androidsecuritytest.com/featu...ers/carrieriq/

CiQ's response to the testing:
http://androidsecuritytest.com/

The good thing about this app is that it is shipped w/logging off, but if it were ever turned on, you'd be hard-pressed to know it. The best solution is to remove it. Root your phone and install a custom ROM, making sure the developer has removed CiQ.

Knowledge is power, folks. Arm yourselves.
Great job genius, 1 out of 4 links worked
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
texasmojo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i automatic

So what does this mean?
      11-22-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Some people are a little paranoid, I have yet to see how this would affect me. Facebook does this, so do so many iphone apps that it's not even funny. So they can see what websites I visit or where I go to buy my groceries... it's not something I would advertise but if I am not running for political office; who cares?
      11-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmojo View Post
So what does this mean?
This means that the "man" can turn on features of your phone remotely, and listen in on any/everything. They also know what you send and who you send it too.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
This means that the "man" can turn on features of your phone remotely, and listen in on any/everything. They also know what you send and who you send it too.
Yes, and as a libertarian I am not too big of a fan of this but the question remains; how is this going to affect almost everyone? The answer is it won't affect you at all unless you are legitimately into sketchy stuff at which point there are hundreds of other ways to track / listen in on you. The govt has placed trackers on the cars of certain college students... electronics these days are so complex especially in cellphones that there are hundreds of different ways to listen in, check on people without any pre-bundled apps software from manufacturers.
      11-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
Yes, and as a libertarian I am not too big of a fan of this but the question remains; how is this going to affect almost everyone? The answer is it won't affect you at all unless you are legitimately into sketchy stuff at which point there are hundreds of other ways to track / listen in on you. The govt has placed trackers on the cars of certain college students... electronics these days are so complex especially in cellphones that there are hundreds of different ways to listen in, check on people without any pre-bundled apps software from manufacturers.
Oh I totally agree, unless your doing something you shouldn't - then there isn't a "problem"

but at the same time, if they listen at random and something you say is taken out of context, you wake up in a blacked out helicopter wondering what the hell just happened.

Personally, I don't feel this tracking should ever be in place and if the patriot act wasn't passed out of irrational fear - it would at least require a warrant.

but, they could be listening to you right now. They could turn your camera on and take pictures without you knowing or having it saved to your phone.. they can turn your Web cam on on your laptop to see what your doing, or who.

They could be flagging me as a terrorist right now for typing these exact words, just because I don't agree with the Matrix Overlord style of observation, and unwarranted invasion into my private American life.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
Oh I totally agree, unless your doing something you shouldn't - then there isn't a "problem"

but at the same time, if they listen at random and something you say is taken out of context, you wake up in a blacked out helicopter wondering what the hell just happened.

Personally, I don't feel this tracking should ever be in place and if the patriot act wasn't passed out of irrational fear - it would at least require a warrant.

but, they could be listening to you right now. They could turn your camera on and take pictures without you knowing or having it saved to your phone.. they can turn your Web cam on on your laptop to see what your doing, or who.

They could be flagging me as a terrorist right now for typing these exact words, just because I don't agree with the Matrix Overlord style of observation, and unwarranted invasion into my private American life.

True I agree with you, I just think that IMHO it doesn't really matter whether there is some crappy app to do this. As you've already mentioned that particular ship sailed a long time with the "give up all of your freedoms" act.