E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Please help figure out whats wrong with my taillights (videos attached)

01-16-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
EEG
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Please help figure out whats wrong with my taillights (videos attached)

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I am making any mistakes.

This is hard to explain especially with my lack of exactly what bulbs are for what but somehow, at least one of the bulbs on one side is acting as if it is burnt out, yet turns on along with the brake bulb when the brakes are presses.

Anyway I swapped both bulbs and some more weird stuff happened (videos attached)

BEFORE
https://streamable.com/izngcw

AFTER BOTH BULBS SWAPPED SIDES
https://streamable.com/c5p66n
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:22 PM   #2
EEG
Rep

Also, the car is 335xi 2009 canada and the taillights OFF of the trunk door only have 2 bulbs and 3 metal contacts (not 4 bulbs)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #3
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEG View Post
Also, the car is 335xi 2009 canada and the taillights OFF of the trunk door only have 2 bulbs and 3 metal contacts (not 4 bulbs)

Thanks
Just to confirm, is there actual bulbs you can remove and replace in these taillights?
I have the lci (2010xi) and the tail lights are all led but they are built in. I have had the leds die and flicker weird on me. They caused a cel light too.
I had to replace both outer tail light assembly's as the bulbs cannot be replaced. New assembly's fixed any issues.
      01-16-2022, 11:07 PM   #4
EEG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
Just to confirm, is there actual bulbs you can remove and replace in these taillights?
I have the lci (2010xi) and the tail lights are all led but they are built in. I have had the leds die and flicker weird on me. They caused a cel light too.
I had to replace both outer tail light assembly's as the bulbs cannot be replaced. New assembly's fixed any issues.
yes there are 2 bulbs which can be replaced. the led turn signals and top half of the assembly seems to be working fine
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:07 AM   #5
timnkoo
Private
Rep
Drives: MY10.5 320D

Any corrosion evident? The intermittent connection shown in the 'after' replacement seems to indicated poor connection.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:28 PM   #6
EEG
Rep

Ok I did some more trouble shooting and have solved it. Annoyingly there were 2 issues which made it hard to diagnose in the videos alone. First issue was a bunch of the bulbs were burnt out, (i think 3/4). I have found that those 4 bulbs only come on when you use the brakes and not at any other times. Second issue is the daytime running tail lights which are leds, the part off of the trunk on driver side is burnt out. Images attached.

Good side:
View post on imgur.com

Bad side:
View post on imgur.com

Thanks for your help guys.

Now I gotta figure out how to fix the leds. Fingers crossed I dont need a new full assembly but who knows.
Appreciate 0