E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Autocar's first impressions of the RS5

04-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #133
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

LOL drifting, I gotta learn that as well at some point xD

The M3 does looks more aggressive than the RS5 but I'm certain there'll be a bodykit or 2 that will make it look menacing. RS5 in Black and Stealthed, that's what I'm talking about haha! MAYBE gold rims haha...... maybe.....
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #134
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Are you guys kidding, the M3 looks the more aggressive?

I can guarantee that when both sit side by side you will be changing your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #135
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Are you guys kidding, the M3 looks the more aggressive?

I can guarantee that when both sit side by side you will be changing your opinions.
Don't get me wrong Footie, I believe the RS5 is an absolutely gorgeous car and I love the body lines, however viewing both cars at all angles, the M3 looks more aggressive and looks the part (performance). The flared fenders, front and rear and the bulging hood looks like it eats n chews anything in it's way. The RS5 looks like it's going to the grocery store and on the way back to pick up grandma and take her to church, yet do it like a gazelle running from a Cheetah!
By the way, you cannot guarantee something like this as this area is subjective...beauty is in the eyes of the beholder as they say!
My apologies, didnt mean to upset you!

thanks, Damian
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #136
McCartney
Private
Rep
Drives: undisclosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
LOL drifting, I gotta learn that as well at some point xD

The M3 does looks more aggressive than the RS5 but I'm certain there'll be a bodykit or 2 that will make it look menacing. RS5 in Black and Stealthed, that's what I'm talking about haha! MAYBE gold rims haha...... maybe.....
Most definitely finance. The rates we get are unbelievable.

I am seriuosly hoping the RS5 isn't late next year, that would be such a piss off .

MCB M3 though,
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #137
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

ahem....speaking of aggressive looks:

Name:  matte black.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  54.5 KB

Enjoy ur ride Bavarian beauty...you purchased one of the greatest all around performing cars around!!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #138
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
ahem....speaking of aggressive looks:

Attachment 376767

Enjoy ur ride Bavarian beauty...you purchased one of the greatest all around performing cars around!!
lol..........lol............................. ............................lol..........
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #139
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
lol..........lol............................. ............................lol..........
um...that flat black m3 does look sick though.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #140
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
um...that flat black m3 does look sick though.
Oh it does, it looks wicked sick but that's not why I'm laughing
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #141
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

here are two more...this is not just matte black...its a tad different..a bit of a silver sheen to it...called frozen matte black....very limited color option.
Name:  matte blk M.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  101.7 KB

Name:  matte blk m3.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  106.1 KB

2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #142
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
That M3 does look much more aggressive than a normal black M3, I would imagine that this flat black paint finish on the RS5 would show off the arches amazingly, giving it the impression that the devil himself would pick this. Though personally I am not a fan of flat paint.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #143
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is is more difference between 3 Series Coupé and M3 Coupé than A5 S-Line, S5 and RS5. The differences between S5 and RS5 are front bumper, fenders and diffusor. The RS5 looks better and more agressive, but not the front. IMO S5 front look more aggresive and looks better than RS5.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #144
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

^ Thanks for posting.

In the vid, Skippy pretty much said the car is a bit meek.

It will fill a void for the guy that wants a little more luxury and the predictability of AWD. I think they will sell every car sent here.

edit. That car would be 88K USD roughly. Borderline..

Last edited by gonzo; 04-24-2010 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: exchange rate
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #145
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Jethro is very much in the mold of Chris Harris, another accomplished driver. Though his opinion is less negative than what Chris felt it is still not as glowing as most others.

I am of the impression that offering these press cars with Audi Select and all it's systems might have been a mixed blessing, some journalists have seemed to hit a perfect combination of throttle, gearbox, steering and diff settings that suit them while others are still to find that perfect match. I think on the road tests the RS5 has simply too much grip to show off it's chassis as a playful one compared to the likes of the M3, though in all honesty it's quattro will never fully match the fun factor than a perfect rwd car of the caliber of the M3.

The most telling point that has come across in most of these reviews is that unlike quattros of the past including the RS4 is that this time the RS5 is proving to be as much fun on the track as it's piers. Now that even surprised me.

P.S.
Gonzo, I am convinced that the RS5 will be a lot less than your estimates, in fact if it's near $80 I will eat my hat.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #146
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
There is is more difference between 3 Series Coupé and M3 Coupé than A5 S-Line, S5 and RS5. The differences between S5 and RS5 are front bumper, fenders and diffusor. The RS5 looks better and more agressive, but not the front. IMO S5 front look more aggresive and looks better than RS5.
The differences between the 3 Coupe M-sport and M3 are mostly: different body-kit, wider arches, CF roof. The other things are smaller like hood vents, exhaust tips, side vents.

The difference between the S5 and RS5 are: different body-kit, squared arches, RS honeycomb grille, spoiler. Also exhaust tips. The RS5 wouldnt really suit the powerdome and vents.

IMO it has plenty of changes. Not to mention, the RS5 interior and seats KILL the M3 interior which is basically just like the standard coupe. Imagine RS5 with black optic package, beast!
      04-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #147
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Jethro is very much in the mold of Chris Harris, another accomplished driver. Though his opinion is less negative than what Chris felt it is still not as glowing as most others.

I am of the impression that offering these press cars with Audi Select and all it's systems might have been a mixed blessing, some journalists have seemed to hit a perfect combination of throttle, gearbox, steering and diff settings that suit them while others are still to find that perfect match. I think on the road tests the RS5 has simply too much grip to show off it's chassis as a playful one compared to the likes of the M3, though in all honesty it's quattro will never fully match the fun factor than a perfect rwd car of the caliber of the M3.

The most telling point that has come across in most of these reviews is that unlike quattros of the past including the RS4 is that this time the RS5 is proving to be as much fun on the track as it's piers. Now that even surprised me.

P.S.
Gonzo, I am convinced that the RS5 will be a lot less than your estimates, in fact if it's near $80 I will eat my hat.
I thought I heard him say "this car stickered at 57 and change pounds". ???
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #148
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
he did, but it's not like it will cost exactly 57k pounds converted into USD. North America is a different market than Europe, and so the prices are usually a bit cheaper here. I agree, with footie about it being around 75-80k USD. Hopefully it will be closer to the M3's price here in Canada!!
________
Juggalo
________
Vapor genie review
________
ANAL PENETRATION
________
Sc2 Replays Com

Last edited by OverDrive; 04-14-2011 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #149
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
That is correct, in the UK the RS5 is just over £57k which is approximately 32% more than an S5. Add tge same percentage to a US S5 and you end up with an RS5 at $73k.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #150
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
The differences between the 3 Coupe M-sport and M3 are mostly: different body-kit, wider arches, CF roof. The other things are smaller like hood vents, exhaust tips, side vents.

The difference between the S5 and RS5 are: different body-kit, squared arches, RS honeycomb grille, spoiler. Also exhaust tips. The RS5 wouldnt really suit the powerdome and vents.

IMO it has plenty of changes. Not to mention, the RS5 interior and seats KILL the M3 interior which is basically just like the standard coupe. Imagine RS5 with black optic package, beast!
+1. In my mind the differences between the S5 and RS5 are greater than with the 335i M/Sport and the M3, plus those Recaro seats are only available with the RS5.

When the two cars are placed side by side the lower and wider RS5 will be the one to catch your eye as the most aggressive of the two.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #151
bavarian beauty
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92

I don't want to get in the middle of this dispute or anger any fellow members, but I would like to ask: Why is there so many Audi fans on here who gets upset when members on here disagree with you. It's going to happen no matter how right or wrong you are, you are on a BMW forum.
I just came out of an S4 and my prior 3 cars were all Audi (exception to my Cayenne) and now I own an M3. I started to visit this forum as I was interested and curious about the m3, and just recently bought a used 08.
But prior to all this, I belong to 2 Audi forums which we raved about our cars and sometimes how much we hated BMW and their drivers (yes, we do that sometimes).
I love both manufactures very much and have respect for what they are and what they create, but good lord people pick your battles,,,,LIFE IS TOO SHORT!
Shiggy: I love your passion to the M, however you do like to stir shit up! Why follow Footie thread to thread and attack anything he says? is it a territorial thing with you?...LOL
Be nice and play nice
Footie: Your level of knowledge of the Audi brand is powerful, put it to better use rather than pissing off M owners. You may think you don't and you praise their cars, but your posts always concluded with a jab (senseless I say)
McCartney: your personal attacks against shiggy are without merit and tasteless. You question his intelligence and make silly statements regarding his financial situation. You cannot possibly know where he stands financially, what he can and cannot afford. These attacks were senseless and immature!
Well, let the flaming begin!
Have fun, drive hard, drive safe and enjoy whatever car you own!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #152
footie
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
me thinks Footie and McCartney are the same person!!!...LOL
well Footie, perhaps one of the reasons why I have yet to receive a warning are:
1) havent done anything wrong but defend the M3 against a bunch of employees from Audi.
2) I have contributed more to this forum than you and the rest of your employees ( several popular DIY's and about $15,000 worth of performance and cosmetic upgrades on my 335I and M3 bought from PAID vendors.

What have you contributed Footie other than Audi propaganda???
NOTHING!
Step down..NO SOUP FOR YOU!

by the way...just in case anyone missed it:

Listen what he says at 5:27......"M3 beater....not really...cant match the M3's agility or excitment"....bahahahahaha
Audi built this to be an M3 killer...had 3 freakin yrs to do it...EPIC FAIL!!!!
I can assure you that I (footie) use no other handle on this or any other forum. I don't work for Audi but I do work inside the industry and get info passed my way which I feed to the members on here and on other forums. Regarding my bias Audi comments, may be you should venture else where on this forum because you will find that I don't preach Audi everywhere and for the most part I am Pro-BMW but not in the fanatical way that you do as I approach things from a commercial perspective and what's best for both the company and the consumer.

Also, regarding Jethro's comments, I found them both enlightening and frustrating because he's comments though negative at times are also complimentary. He agrees with a lot of comments from other journalists in that the car has almost zero understeer (this in part is the new chassis and part it's amazing torque vectoring system), also said that the RS5 covers ground probably quicker that almost anything else and that you can plant the throttle deep into a corner, well before the exit and it will just grip with no drama, even in the wet. This is something that none of it's rwd rivals could ever hope to do so it will probably handle and cover ground far quicker than any of them. Part of the varying reviews are in my opinion part to do with expectations and part it's full Audi Select Drive with all the goodies, finding the right combination takes time to dial in and while some journalists clearly found a setting that suited, other like Chris and Jethro didn't. I am expecting that given more time with the car their opinions will change, especially when they get the opportunity to compare with the likes of the M3 to see how far Audi have come on with this car.

This doesn't mean that Audi have produced a car that matches the M3 at everything, such a thing is highly unlikely as one is possibly the finest rwd car this side of a Porsche or Ferrari and the other is an Audi which means that though it will have bags of speed and ability it also means that it will be both secure and refined. You (shiggy) view anything other than BMW praise as negative, why? there is nothing wrong with a bit of rivalry among brands and it ultimately leads to better cars at even more competitive prices, look how much Audi have sharpened their pencil on pricing in the US, that means that you the consumer are getting a wider choice which is surely a good thing.

As for the reasons why you haven't been warned for your comments, I can only assume that the people you are annoying are less inclined to complain than yourself, may be they should start as it's only a matter of time before you step over that line.

P.S.
Unsure if this is a misprint or if they have really tested it, but AutoBild are quoting 4.2s for the sprint from 0-100km/h. If true then you can knock off 0.1~0.2s for the drop to 60mph and a further 0.2~0.3s for the 1ft rollout.

Last edited by footie; 04-24-2010 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #153
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrfan View Post

car magazin first drive
i watched this vid and I really think the m3 is much better looking. somehow they made the rs5 uglier than the s5. from the ugly silver front lip, the rims, the rear wing, the dual oval exaust. these added on don't flow well and ruin the whole shape of the car. they should have just stick with the exact s5 exterior and add some fender flair, bigger exaust tip, and better looking rims.

I think bmw design was excellent from 335i to m3 as the m3 is much more aggresive, better looking in everyway. Audi just seem to do the exact oposite. It appeared they ran out of idea on how to improve on the s5 and tried too hard to to make the rs5 aggresive.

Last edited by graider; 04-24-2010 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #154
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
i watched this vid and I really think the m3 is much better looking. somehow they made the rs5 uglier than the s5. from the ugly silver front lip, the rims, the rear wing, the dual oval exaust. these added on don't flow well and ruin the whole shape of the car. they should have just stick with the exact s5 exterior and add some fender flair, bigger exaust tip, and better looking rims.

I think bmw design was excellent from 335i to m3 as the m3 is much more aggresive, better looking in everyway. Audi just seem to do the exact oposite. It appeared they ran out of idea on how to improve on the s5 and tried too hard to to make the rs5 aggresive.

LOL....
INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0