E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can a car with OEM part (clutch) fulfill official timing chain replacement recall?

07-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
yyz1989
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 s18d 2013

Can a car with OEM part (clutch) fulfill official timing chain replacement recall?

Hey there,

I am new in the forum and looking for to some ideas and thoughts in terms of timing chain issue.

I am sorry to post it to both X3 and 3-series forums, since this is a general topic and there should be much more 3-series users who has experienced similar situation.

I purchased a BMW X3 s18d (F25, N47D20C), 2013, 120k km a few months ago, and just acknowledged that there is this timing chain issue. Apparently mine has not suffer from it yet, and I really cannot diagnose the problem by just listening to the sound of the motor. I know that there is a recall and I probably can get it replaced, but I have not yet requested it.

Then, just during the past days when I was wondering about this timing chain issue, I broke my clutch by climbing up a long and curvy slope slowly with clutch half engaged. I went to the BMW dealer for a diagnosis, and was offered a replacement work of both clutch kit and flywheel with 2600 euro. I also checked other workshops and got an offer of 1100 euro, where clutch kit and flywheel is Luk instead of BMW. I have the tendency to take the cheaper option due to financial reasons, but I am afraid that after such a replacement, BMW will no longer offer a free replacement for timing chain within the scope of goodwill. Apart from that, my car has full service record at BMW and has never been repaired for any reason during the past 4 years.

So now my question is that, is full service record at BMW the only requirement for applying for the goodwill recall? Has anyone got your timing chain replaced by the recall successfully even with non-genuine BMW parts installed on your car? I was just wondering that BMW can find out that I have installed Luk stuff only after opening the gearbox, but replacing timing chains does not require opening gearbox.

Thank you very much for any suggestion or hint!

Best regards,
Yang
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

You need one of the few European posters to answer this question. In the USA/CA the answer is that aftermarket parts in one part of the car/drivetrain don't negate the warranty on other parts. Goodwill or not.

I would think it's the same in EU, but don't know. Also, isn't 2013 rather late for N47 timing chain/tensioner problems? Pretty sure they had already changed the parts used during manufacturing on them by then. There haven't been N47 timing chain problems on any USA/CA 328d (actually 320d, or X3d), although 2014 was 1st year over here.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
yyz1989
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
You need one of the few European posters to answer this question. In the USA/CA the answer is that aftermarket parts in one part of the car/drivetrain don't negate the warranty on other parts. Goodwill or not.

I would think it's the same in EU, but don't know. Also, isn't 2013 rather late for N47 timing chain/tensioner problems? Pretty sure they had already changed the parts used during manufacturing on them by then. There haven't been N47 timing chain problems on any USA/CA 328d (actually 320d, or X3d), although 2014 was 1st year over here.
Hey dude, thanks a lot for the suggestion! Unfortunately I don't know any big forum like this one but with European customer base, probably because of the diversity of the languages. I think the car is manufactured in the second half of 2012, and the motor can be produced even earlier, that's why I feel a bit worried...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 04:07 AM   #4
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post

Generally speaking the EU has stronger consumer protections that the US so I would think so. I think really the best thing to do would be to ask the service advisor at BMW to find out. No point discussing it on the internet when there are actual experts to help you.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
yyz1989
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
Generally speaking the EU has stronger consumer protections that the US so I would think so. I think really the best thing to do would be to ask the service advisor at BMW to find out. No point discussing it on the internet when there are actual experts to help you.
Thanks a lot for suggestion. I am a bit reluctant to get a confirmation from them because I am not sure if I can trust them. Even if the answer is yes, they may say no and recommend me to buy and install the genuine parts there, which gives them profit. There has been the case that the goodwill was approved by the headquarter but the local dealer lied and tried to sell the free parts with a price. That is the reason why I want to check if someone has ever installed an oem clutch and then get the goodwill for timing chain.
Appreciate 0