E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 3 series-steering wheel vibration-must read!

09-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
mkay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328 i

3 series-steering wheel vibration-must read!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello everyone,

On August 2, 2012 I bought a 2012 328i sedan.Two days later the car was ion the dealership for a vibration on the steering wheel between the speed of 40-60mph.They allegedly fixed it by balancing the tires. The next day and on my way to Miami,again the same problem. I called them and made an appointment for the same issue. So I took it back for service and I received the following statement and I quote: " ..found that tires are in balance.Test drove 2 other cars, found that the vibration is similar in other vehicles. The repair for this issue is being developed by BMW at that time..". Off the record,I was told that BMW is aware of the problem since April 2012 and are working on a fix!!!! When I asked if the car is safe even though it vibrates they did not give me a clear answer.

So in other words,all of us who bought these vehicles after April 2012,bought vehicles with a known problem. When I took it to the dealership a third time,they refused to service the car by stating that there is nothing they can do until BMW engineers come up with a solution.
So the question is:

Why do we have to drive these cars with the known-problem of the vibration in the steering wheel until BMW comes up with a solution? What if it take BMW months or years to come up with the solution to the problem?

I am pushing for repurchase of the car and they are trying to work with me although they hope that I will quit.

So all of you who have had similar issues, now you know what's up and you should also address it with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
RDZumbaugh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

I'm having the same issue with my 2013 that I took delivery of in late August. When the dealer had my car last week, I called to tell them that the loaner they gave me was doing the same thing but worse. The loaner had about 6,900 miles on it and the steering wheel shook at the mentioned speeds worse than mine. So I'm wondering if this problem will worsen in time? The dealer balanced the tires - got my car back and it doesn't shake as bad. I've ended up talking to the Service Manager because the Service person was treating me like I was nuts. They just called me back and the BMW Field Engineer asked them to open a info case on my vehicle and to do a hard balance? They admitted to me that BMW is aware of the issue and is working on a fix.

My concern is - will they be able to fix this? Will this affect the value of my vehicle? Will it ruin my tires early?

I'll give them a little time to figure this out but I didn't order and wait two months for a $49k BMW to have this type of issue.

Word of advice - test drive the vehicle between 40 - 60 mph. Put it on cruise control and see if the steering wheel starts shaking before you buy it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Disco56
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328I

Thank you for information

Rick,
I am very happen to hear you were able to have a good resolution on your car.
The information you did supply in your email gave me some peace of mind that the dealership are up against the wall with some Intelligent owner. I let you know how we make out at tomorrow appointment.

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDZumbaugh View Post
I'm having the same issue with my 2013 that I took delivery of in late August. When the dealer had my car last week, I called to tell them that the loaner they gave me was doing the same thing but worse. The loaner had about 6,900 miles on it and the steering wheel shook at the mentioned speeds worse than mine. So I'm wondering if this problem will worsen in time? The dealer balanced the tires - got my car back and it doesn't shake as bad. I've ended up talking to the Service Manager because the Service person was treating me like I was nuts. They just called me back and the BMW Field Engineer asked them to open a info case on my vehicle and to do a hard balance? They admitted to me that BMW is aware of the issue and is working on a fix.

My concern is - will they be able to fix this? Will this affect the value of my vehicle? Will it ruin my tires early?

I'll give them a little time to figure this out but I didn't order and wait two months for a $49k BMW to have this type of issue.

Word of advice - test drive the vehicle between 40 - 60 mph. Put it on cruise control and see if the steering wheel starts shaking before you buy it.
Appreciate 0