E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Official cigar thread

06-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #67
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
only cigar i buy is a vanilla dutch for a $1 found at your local gas station
i see what you did there, i used to love smoking dutchys because they go in rotation much longer but they are a major sack killer though
      06-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #68
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 e90

Had a Tatuaje Petite Corona last night. Excellent smoke. There is good stuff coming out of Miami right now.
      06-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #69
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

My first shipment from a new vendor came in, and as promised I'm going to do a quick overview of the authentication process. The first thing to note is that in the country of origin it is required by law to add large warning labels that warn the buyer about the health dangers of smoking cigars. What you need to know is that I've removed these labels via razor blade prior to taking the photos below. As a result, there may appear to be a rectangular shaped area on both the top and the bottom of the box that either look slightly marred, or look as though some sort of residue is on the box. The marring was caused by inexactitude with the razor blade, the film was caused by the stickers themselves.

First we'll cover the top of the box. In this case the box itself contains 12 purported Trinidad Robusto Extras (TREs from here on out). As you can see from the photo, the "Habanos" sticker is correctly placed, running diagonally across the top right of the dress box. The warranty sticker is also placed correctly, running from top to bottom, with the shield on the sticker precisely bisected by the edge of the lid. Unfortunately, a small part of the warranty sticker was covered by one of the health labels, so in removing it, it peeled up that small part of the warranty sticker.

Name:  IMG_20100627_025356.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  188.7 KB

Here is a photo of the warranty sticker as can be seen on the front side of the box.

Name:  IMG_20100627_025415.jpg
Views: 1870
Size:  236.7 KB

And here is the bottom of the box which contains the rest of the warranty sticker, as well as the stamps "HABANOS s.a.", "HECHO EN CUBA", and "Totalmente a mano". A tactile inspection of these three stamps reveals that they can all be felt with the finger, and that they are indeed stamped into the wood, the "HABANOS s.a." stamp being the easiest to feel. Underneath that is the factory code "OUS", and underneath that is the date of production "ABR-09" which means these cigars were produced in April of 2009. Again, the sticky film and marring of the box you see in this photo is due to my incompetence with a razor blade.

Name:  IMG_20100627_025431.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  201.0 KB

Next comes a visual inspection of the inside of the box as it is first opened. The paper on top measures ~4 1/4 inches by 2 3/4 inches and should be the first thing you see in every box of cuban cigars you open. From experience I can tell you that the paper you see here is legitimate. On the inside of the top lid you see "TTT TRINIDAD HABANA-CUBA" logo in the form of an oval shaped sticker, this is normal for this particular box of cigars. So far, so good.

Name:  IMG_20100627_025506.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  229.5 KB

Next you'll find the Trinidad logo parchment paper, this is also all well and good for this brand of cigar.

Name:  IMG_20100627_025522.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  219.4 KB

Now we get to the top layer of the cigars themselves. As I mentioned previously, this is a box of 12, so there are two layers of six separated by a thing slice of spanish cedar. Here is where I was slightly disappointed, but not terribly so. I've seen better presentation, but I'm going to chalk this up to jostling caused by these smokes having travelled halfway around the world. The bands are all for the most part aligned. The color of the cigars is consistent within the box. The cigar on the bottom has a slight imperfection toward the foot of the cigar, but I can overlook that. Additionally this box has slightly more waterspots (they look like small what spots that are not visible in this photo) than some previous boxes I've ordered, but waterspots are considered a minor imperfection. The golden cloth band wrapping the cigars is present as expected. Also note that all the cigars on the top layer of this box have the trademark TRE "pigtail".

Name:  IMG_20100627_025552.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  238.6 KB

Thin slice of spanish cedar separating the layers with thumb cutout. Again, this is all as expected.

Name:  IMG_20100627_025654.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  290.4 KB

On the bottom layer of cigars, which was more tightly packed, you'll note that the bands are aligned perfectly with not the slightest deviation. You can see a few waterspots in this photo. See the cigar next to the top one, just underneath the band. Again, this is a minor imperfection and not a cause for concern. There is absolutely no chipping or damage to any of the cigars in this photo. The tiny white dust like particles on the cigars are called plume, and they are not a bad thing. Again, the trademark "pigtail" is present on each cigar.

Name:  IMG_20100627_025710.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  282.7 KB

In the next photo, on the top we find a TRE from a previous known good source. The color is slightly darker than the one on bottom which comes from the present box, but this is not a concern as color only needs to be consistent within a given box. The cigars are otherwise the exact same length and consistency. The bands even align perfectly. The only minor difference I found was the number of "TTTs" on either side of the main logo on the bands. The bands are otherwise identical and this is probably due to a change in the bands themselves.

Name:  IMG_20100627_030047.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  283.3 KB

The side of the box, for reference. There is nothing of exceptional interest to be garnered from this photo, but I felt I should include it for the sake of thoroughness.

Name:  IMG_20100627_030139.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  190.5 KB

Lastly, the box smells like a barn, so overall, I'm 98% confident that this new vendor I'm trying out is legit and I will be placing another order from them. I hope this helps.

Last edited by radix; 06-27-2010 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 03:57 AM   #70
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

those are some nice cigars radix. congrats!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #71
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nice pictorial/tutorial. I just cracked open a box or 24 along with a box of Partagas #4 yesterday.

No hologram on this one?
      06-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #72
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

So when are you guys gonna share those cigars!?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #73
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIGARGUY View Post
Nice pictorial/tutorial. I just cracked open a box or 24 along with a box of Partagas #4 yesterday.

No hologram on this one?
OK, at first I wasn't sure what you were talking about, but I just haven't gotten a box with the new warranty seals yet. They introduced the new seals gradually in 2009, the box I just received was ABR-09. The announcement was of the new seals was made on 03/18/2009:

http://www.habanos.com/article.aspx?aid=330&lang=en

and states

Quote:
From now on, a new Warranty Seal will be gradually introduced in all the packaging where two new elements are to be added. On the right hand, a hologram as a security item will be added and on the left hand, next to the Cote d´ Arms, a bar code will personalize every package.
Given that the box in question was shipped in April of 2009, the fact that it doesn't have the new stickers isn't cause for concern I don't think.

I would have posted a black light image of the warranty seal, but I don't have a black light at present to expose the watermark.

Last edited by radix; 06-28-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #74
Armada
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82

Awesome write up Radix. I've always been gifted CCs so i'm learning new stuff everyday before I order. Let's talk about those soon and do some box splits in the future. Enjoy those sticks!
      06-29-2010, 03:34 AM   #75
radix
No_Country
Rep

I just enjoyed a wonderful PSD4 with about six years of aging on it, in conjunction with about 6oz Hennessy XO. I can't think of language superlative enough to describe the way I feel right now, partly because I'm a bit inebriated. My God that smoke was good. IIRC, its ship date was circa May 2004, although I no longer have the box codes. It's also truly amazing how well a good cigar takes the edge off of a good spirit as well. It were as if I was drinking candy. I might have gotten a bit over exuberant with the cigar, as I had to fix some minor spooning with my torch, but seriously a PSD4 with some age on it is one of the best smokes ever. I need to order some more PSD4s.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #76
OEMconcept
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had a CoRo over the weekend, and it was just amazing. Perhaps one of the best smokes I've had. So I decided to take the next step and fully go into this hobby(if that's what you call it).

I bought a desktop humi over the weekend, I'm currently in the process of seasoning it. I bought a few sticks, and will buy more at the end of the week when the humi is ready.

I really enjoyed the CoRo and am looking forward to trying other robustos. Also looking for ward to getting my hands on some Siglo IV and VI's.

Anything you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #77
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
I need to order some more PSD4s.
I just finished the first one out of the box I opened. I have to agree. Fantastic, even without aging.
      06-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #78
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMconcept View Post
I had a CoRo over the weekend, and it was just amazing.....Anything you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated.
If by CoRo you're referring to a Cohiba Robusto, I think the other radix and ferarri would both agree, there are far better examples of Cubans than that. Honestly, there are only a few Cohibas that I really even consider worth smoking, IMHO.

The Cohiba 40th Anniversary is by far the best they've released in years. Hard to find, but worth the effort. Definitely try a Monte Cristo #2. That is one of the Cuban benchmark cigars. The Trinidad Robusto Extra is one of my all-time favorites. The Hoyo de Monterey is also an excellent selection. Just don't get hung up on the Cohiba name. It is the best known marque, and is also the most counterfeited, so be careful what you buy and where you buy it, if purchasing in the States.
      06-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #79
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I just finished the first one out of the box I opened. I have to agree. Fantastic, even without aging.
To be honest, I'm torn between either ordering some more psd4s, or some 8-9-8 varnished. I can't make up my mind. You're right about psd4s being good fresh though.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #80
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
If by CoRo you're referring to a Cohiba Robusto, I think the other radix and ferarri would both agree, there are far better examples of Cubans than that. Honestly, there are only a few Cohibas that I really even consider worth smoking, IMHO.

The Cohiba 40th Anniversary is by far the best they've released in years. Hard to find, but worth the effort. Definitely try a Monte Cristo #2. That is one of the Cuban benchmark cigars. The Trinidad Robusto Extra is one of my all-time favorites. The Hoyo de Monterey is also an excellent selection. Just don't get hung up on the Cohiba name. It is the best known marque, and is also the most counterfeited, so be careful what you buy and where you buy it, if purchasing in the States.
Honestly, I have had amazing experiences with Cohiba Robustos. That said, if I have a choice between a Siglo VI and a Robusto, I'm choosing the Siglo VI everytime without even hesitating.

While I'm at it, I'll just list some really great Cubans that I've had and would highly recommend. A quick note, I love very full bodied cigars. The stronger the better. I actually think that no cigar can be too strong.

Partagas Series D No. 4
Partagas Series D No. 4 Limited Edition (2004 release date). My all time favorite
Partagas Lusitania. My favorite because the limited edition Series D are impossible to find.
Partagas Series P No. 2. Just like the Series D but longer.
Partagas Shorts. Among the best quick smokes.
Cohiba Siglo VI
HDM Epi 2. Possibly the best golf cigar
HDM Double Corona
RyJ Limited Edition Robusto (2006). A very robust flavor.
RyJ Churchill. You can never ever go wrong with the churchill. Such a consistent cigar.
Monte 4. Also a very good quick smoke. My favorite monte due to the strength.
Monte A. A long ass smoke, but soooo worth it.
H. Upmann Magnum 50 Limited Edition (2004?). An absolute powerhouse. This will put you on your ass, and I love it for that.
Bolivar Belicoso Fino. Such a smooth smoke.
Bolivar Royal Corona.
Ramon Allones Specially Select. These have such a rich flavor.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #81
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

Any recommendations on a good humidor? Sub 100 capacaity would work fine...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #82
OEMconcept
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Yup I was talking about the Cohiba Robusto. I live in Montreal, so cubans are legal succa! lol. I stopped by a local cigar shop and purchased some Partagas Serie D No. 4, some Partagas Serie P No. 2, and some H. Upmann No. 2's.

I plan on going back on Friday and picking up some Siglo IV and VI's as well as some Montecristo No. 2's. I'd also like to pick up some of the PLPC's after reading some excellent reviews about them.

There's just so many damn choices, and I'd love to try them all

Last edited by OEMconcept; 06-29-2010 at 11:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 04:04 AM   #83
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
Honestly, I have had amazing experiences with Cohiba Robustos. That said, if I have a choice between a Siglo VI and a Robusto, I'm choosing the Siglo VI everytime without even hesitating.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #84
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post

While I'm at it, I'll just list some really great Cubans that I've had and would highly recommend. A quick note, I love very full bodied cigars. The stronger the better. I actually think that no cigar can be too strong.

Partagas Series D No. 4
Partagas Series D No. 4 Limited Edition (2004 release date). My all time favorite
Partagas Lusitania. My favorite because the limited edition Series D are impossible to find.

Partagas Series P No. 2. Just like the Series D but longer.
Partagas Shorts. Among the best quick smokes.
Cohiba Siglo VI
HDM Epi 2. Possibly the best golf cigar
HDM Double Corona
RyJ Limited Edition Robusto (2006). A very robust flavor.
RyJ Churchill. You can never ever go wrong with the churchill. Such a consistent cigar.
Monte 4. Also a very good quick smoke. My favorite monte due to the strength.
Monte A. A long ass smoke, but soooo worth it.
H. Upmann Magnum 50 Limited Edition (2004?). An absolute powerhouse. This will put you on your ass, and I love it for that.
Bolivar Belicoso Fino. Such a smooth smoke.
Bolivar Royal Corona.
Ramon Allones Specially Select. These have such a rich flavor.
I agree with all the ones in bold. Some of the others I haven't tried. The Monte 4 I just have to disagree with. I have several of them still, and they're OK, but wouldn't make my short list for a quick smoke. Again, for that I prefer the PLPC (bang for buck), the Trinidad Reyes, or even a Punch Petit. To your list I would add

Trinidad Robusto Extras - obviously
Trinidad Fundadores
RyJ Cazadores
Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished
Cohiba Sublimes Limited Edition 2004
Punch Doble Coronas

If you want my remaining Monte 4s we could make some arrangements. They've got about 3-4 years on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 05:18 AM   #85
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTexan View Post
Any recommendations on a good humidor? Sub 100 capacaity would work fine...
Igloo, make your first a coolerdor. Seriously though, how much are you looking to fork out, and what, if anything, are you looking for stylistically? Cheap or expensive, you can get a good humi either way.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #86
CIGARGUY
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Savoy makes some excellent humidors. How the lid seals is the biggest importance of buying a humidor. If you drop the lid from about 4-6" and hear a loud "clack" sound, pass. You're looking for a "whoosh" sound. If you hear that, you're in business.
      06-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #87
Armada
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82

Check out Target and other appliance store for thermoelectric coolers. I picked up an Edgestar unit for $100 online and threw some 65% RH beads in there and it's worked perfect for me. The cheaper alternative to this is what Radix suggested on using a cooler. This is very similar as you'd most likely use beads to control the humidity, but I like the cooling feature of the coolers for the summer heat. I prefer to keep it around 60 degrees, you don't want any eggs hatching.
      06-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #88
TTexan
Verizon Expert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 JB 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Igloo, make your first a coolerdor. Seriously though, how much are you looking to fork out, and what, if anything, are you looking for stylistically? Cheap or expensive, you can get a good humi either way.
I don't know, $150-$200 I would assume is fair.

I'll check out the one's recommended, thanks.
Appreciate 0