E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Clutch delay valve mod gone wrong, need help

03-21-2024, 01:49 AM   #1
chris55552
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW x3 35i

Clutch delay valve mod gone wrong, need help

So I read about the clutch delay valve mod and worked up the courage to attempt it. While doing so I bent the hard line that connects the cdv, not thinking it would have an impact. Well sure enough it was shifting smoother, until about 3 weeks after I pulled away from a dead stop and ran the rpms up to about 5500 rpm depressed the clutch and shifted from first to second and wham all hell broke loose. Something went terribly wrong, I lost the ability to shift gears while moving, I get it home and look under the vehicle and the bell housing inspection hole I noticed the anti friction material thats dark a cloth looking was all mashed together and I pulled some of the fabric out of the inspection hole and the car has been down since that fateful day. Any ideas what I may have done to it?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 10:35 AM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Ummm... what?

"bell housing inspection hole I noticed the anti friction material thats dark a cloth looking was all mashed together and I pulled some of the fabric out of the inspection hole"

So, you're saying there is fabric debris inside your bellhousing?

Pull the transmission off. I don't really see how that is related to the clutch choke.
      03-21-2024, 03:25 PM   #3
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

yeah I dont get what's happening.

This mod cost me a towing, because the flexible hose fitting was rusted, and the clip wan't clipped all the way in. Took 3 weeks before the clip pop out.

I did the mod on my other e90, and this time I pull fcking hard and pressurized the system @30psi for the bleeding procedure.

If you broke the hard twisted line, FCP sell it.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...xi-21526765790
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 03:46 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris55552 View Post
So I read about the clutch delay valve mod and worked up the courage to attempt it. While doing so I bent the hard line that connects the cdv, not thinking it would have an impact. Well sure enough it was shifting smoother, until about 3 weeks after I pulled away from a dead stop and ran the rpms up to about 5500 rpm depressed the clutch and shifted from first to second and wham all hell broke loose. Something went terribly wrong, I lost the ability to shift gears while moving, I get it home and look under the vehicle and the bell housing inspection hole I noticed the anti friction material thats dark a cloth looking was all mashed together and I pulled some of the fabric out of the inspection hole and the car has been down since that fateful day. Any ideas what I may have done to it?
Sounds like you destroyed the clutch plate, by shifting too aggressively...or just really unfortunate timing, but I doubt that. New clutch, and probably new flywheel time.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 04:56 PM   #5
chris55552
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Sounds like you destroyed the clutch plate, by shifting too aggressively...or just really unfortunate timing, but I doubt that. New clutch, and probably new flywheel time.
thanks for the feedback, would you recommend doing a cdv next go round?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 02:43 AM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Depends if you plan on being aggressive with it? Or if deleting the valve solved any issues for you?

DMFs don't like big shock loads, nor does the clutch, so you need to bear in mind that replacement of both will be needed more often if you're aggressive on the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:35 PM   #7
chris55552
Private
Rep

im a very amateur mechanic, I think I confused a bunch of people with inaccurate terms initially. Its actually the transmission inspection cap where the fabric was visible after that faiful day everything went wrong. Im reposting the topic and adding a pic of what i am seeing the fabric in. Prior to this happening you could look inside the inspection hole and see the disc and everytihing looked normal, afterward it looked like a furry animal crawled inside it and died there alll the fabric was a a big messy ball. My understanding is its the antifriction material that I was seeing. Sorry for the bell housing term being thrown in there, I bet that did throw some folks for a loop and if nothing else had people wondering is this guy on crack?? LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 10:37 PM   #8
chris55552
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
Ummm... what?

"bell housing inspection hole I noticed the anti friction material thats dark a cloth looking was all mashed together and I pulled some of the fabric out of the inspection hole"

So, you're saying there is fabric debris inside your bellhousing?

Pull the transmission off. I don't really see how that is related to the clutch choke.
im a very amateur mechanic, I think I confused a bunch of people with inaccurate terms initially. Its actually the transmission inspection cap where the fabric was visible after that faiful day everything went wrong. Im reposting the topic and adding a pic of what i am seeing the fabric in. Prior to this happening you could look inside the inspection hole and see the disc and everytihing looked normal, afterward it looked like a furry animal crawled inside it and died there alll the fabric was a a big messy ball. My understanding is its the antifriction material that I was seeing. Sorry for the bell housing term being thrown in there, I bet that did throw some folks for a loop and if nothing else had people wondering is this guy on crack?? LOL. It can be difficult helping someone who doesnt know what their talking about, thanks for attempting.
Appreciate 0