E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Need a reliable winter car!

12-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
KMANUEL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: varies

Need a reliable winter car!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently on the market for a new car to tread through these northern canada winters and get beat on a daily basis with salt, snow, black ice, etc. without breaking down on me mid trip.

Some background info: I travel about 200km/day often on deserted roads in northern Canada, if my car is unsafe or it breaks down I will literally be stranded without a gas-station or hotel near by.

Currently driving a 535xi but I'm putting wayyyy too many KMs on it... thinking of trading in the 5 series for an RS5 garage queen, and picking up a reliable winter car to take to these god forsaken places.

I was looking at the Subaru Legacy from the US for about 16k and I will import it etc, out the door w/ new winter tires should cost me about 20k. I was looking to spend a bit less however.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Arben72
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I love my subaru forester, gets good gas mileage (about 27mpg on the hwy), impossible to get stuck in the snow with good tires. I was going up a pretty steep hill yesterday with 6 inches of unplowed snow and a layer of ice underneath that, the car didn't even flinch.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

buy a Volvo S60 AWD.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMANUEL View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm currently on the market for a new car to tread through these northern canada winters and get beat on a daily basis with salt, snow, black ice, etc. without breaking down on me mid trip.

Some background info: I travel about 200km/day often on deserted roads in northern Canada, if my car is unsafe or it breaks down I will literally be stranded without a gas-station or hotel near by.

Currently driving a 535xi but I'm putting wayyyy too many KMs on it... thinking of trading in the 5 series for an RS5 garage queen, and picking up a reliable winter car to take to these god forsaken places.

I was looking at the Subaru Legacy from the US for about 16k and I will import it etc, out the door w/ new winter tires should cost me about 20k. I was looking to spend a bit less however.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Jetta/Golf TDi you don't need FWD. AWD is a bonus but not a necessity. Good gas mileage+amazing resale since you will put on a lot km. I have a GTI it does amazing in the snow. Put on 4 good tires and you're good to go.

Last edited by mtla4; 12-15-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
emily514
Registered
Rep
Drives: corolla xli 2009

Is This Car Reliable For Winter?

I am planning to buy a 1998 Acura Integra. I live in Canada and was wondering if this is good for the winter season. Also, which one is better the LS, GS or GSR? Also, I'm 6' 2" so is there enough room in the front for my body type? For the '98 version what's the retail price?