E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Security Cameras

01-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Security Cameras

Hey guys
I own a semi repair shop and I need more security. I have been looking into the surveillance cameras.

What would you guys recommend to me? I need about 3 cameras (2 outdoor and 1 indoor) and my budget is around $500-$600. I have been looking at the logitech 700e but Im not sure if it would be a good buy.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

look at costco
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Go here and check out ICS 8220

http://www.ipux.net/M_2.html#a01

Pretty Good IP cameras. I have seen them and they are quite good. If you have a higher budget then you can buy an AXIS IP camera. Those are really good but more money.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

what is a semi repair shop? haha

i also worked for a company thats installs camera systems and will tell you that those costco type systems are not very good and you will be replacing them in a short time
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDeJ
what is a semi repair shop? haha

i also worked for a company thats installs camera systems and will tell you that those costco type systems are not very good and you will be replacing them in a short time
Semi-trucks?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Samsung SDE-120n, buy on eBay though because they are cheaper there.

I use this 4 camera system at my warehouse, easy to setup and use. Picture quality is pretty good and it helped us catch a thief last month. Also has night vision on two of the cameras.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

I understand DIY projects and what not... but when it comes to security why wouldn't you call a couple companies and have them come in and give you quotes including equipment. After that you can decide whether or not you want to DIY or have a professional come in. You can even bounce some equipment ideas/placements off them during the process..
      01-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Hire a security guard. I know of one that is unemployed and use to work at my job:

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

What do people think about this camera?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Forget about cameras, get a security system! Get the Ge security Simon xt wireless system. super reliable and easy to install. Just installed one at home and had it monitored via the cellular network, so they can't cut your phone line. Cost me $300 plus $30 per month. AND I can monitor the alarm status on my phone!!!

I don't work for Ge I assure u. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
What do people think about this camera?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Thats the camera that I have been looking at. Just dont know if I should get that one.

It is a repair shop, I dont need an alarm because the thing that concerns me the most is people stealing shit inside the shop and thieves breaking in/stealing shit off the trucks outside at night. I havent had this problem before, but some fishy shit has been going on recently.

I had a professional come out and give me a quote and it was like $2000 for 3 cameras PLUS a monthly fee. So I am just seeing what my other options were.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Logitech makes great security cameras. Make sure you get a digital recorder, and LOOK at the video before you finalize placement of cameras. Outside cameras should get the IR addition and you should make sure you can read license plates of vehicles that come at night. If you can't, re-position your cameras until you can. Night time lighting is key, and you should position your cameras so they cover all avenues of ingress, i.e. windows, doors, ventilation hatches etc.

Also, do not put interior cameras much higher than head level. Surveillance footage of the top of someone's head is useless to the police. Be creative and hide your surveillance system for greatest effect and keep your recorder out of sight and secured if possible.

Hope this helps. I've looked at countless images that do nothing but provide an accurate accounting of the date and time of how the crime was committed. Lastly, buy a system that offers online remote monitoring, alerts and the ability to capture still images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Logitech makes great security cameras. Make sure you get a digital recorder, and LOOK at the video before you finalize placement of cameras. Outside cameras should get the IR addition and you should make sure you can read license plates of vehicles that come at night. If you can't, re-position your cameras until you can. Night time lighting is key, and you should position your cameras so they cover all avenues of ingress, i.e. windows, doors, ventilation hatches etc.

Also, do not put interior cameras much higher than head level. Surveillance footage of the top of someone's head is useless to the police. Be creative and hide your surveillance system for greatest effect and keep your recorder out of sight and secured if possible.

Hope this helps. I've looked at countless images that do nothing but provide an accurate accounting of the date and time of how the crime was committed. Lastly, buy a system that offers online remote monitoring, alerts and the ability to capture still images.

This. I can't tell you how many hooded sweatshirts walking away I've seen. Essentially useless. Also, make sure it's full motion and not some "one-shot-per-second" shit because it'll be the time between shots that you'll need an image and won't have it.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #14
Nedim
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all of your help guys I really appreciate it. I think I will go with 2 outdoor logitech cameras and 1 indoor. I hope its not all that complicated to install lol
Appreciate 0