E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Vision Future Luxury Concept (updated with videos)

Closed Thread

04-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #45
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Amazing. A work of art. HOWEVER after taking a long breathe I realize that this car is a dream and reality is far, far harsher. And yes I understand the difference between concept and production.

Remember when this (4 ser concept) turned into this (4ser)?? A seat Leon has led turn signals as standart and to be honest and with all due respect to 4ser owners its design looks dated allready and its bmw's dullest coup ever (certainly not as good as my 43year old E9 coup here in a Basque mountain pass)

Remember when the interior of the i8 looked like this??
Now look at this - if this 100k no extras bimmer as an interior as cheap as this (idrive from a 20k 116i plastics as cheap as a vw polo and temperature controls that look like a 80's aftermarket cd player ) I mean a 25k merc c class interior may not look as grand but certainly more upmarket and better quality

Again look at the seatbelt rest in the new 4ser convertible - very cheap plastic and the one you find in a 14 year old e46 3 ser convert. Look at the panel gap in the new x5 - that bmw airbrushed in publicity pics - or the electric seat controls in a bimmer and an audi .
This to say that bmw can not compete with the vw group in terms of cost cutting so I have serious reservations for the future of this car. It is gorgeous and it even reminds me of the E9 rear. But this is a concept and reality will be very far from this.
And I wouldnt be bothered by these issues if at least new bimmers drove as good as past greats, but again reality is most new bimmers (bar m235) can hold against direct rivals - z4 vs cayman , x3 vs macan, M5 vs E63 amg, 7 vs S8, Cayenne vs X5 etc.

Sorry about long post but had this in mind for awhile and nothing better to do this sunday

at least its just not us paying customers suffering from cost cutting. poor bmw designers dont even have a table to design
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #46
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Haha, I'm sure they're just laying out several pictures on a large surface, why not the floor...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:36 AM   #47
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So looks like a modern interpretation of a '60s Lincoln Continental and will probably weigh as much too.

So tell me how the front seats move to adjust to the driver? Yeah, I'm sure the pedals and steering wheel move instead (I hope BMW doesn't call that innovative too). Lastly, there is no way on God's green earth that a car will pass a side impact crash test with the B-pillar integrated into the seat frame as this design has (despite the use of the miracle material carbon fiber). The energy transfer into the seat back would instantly snap your spine in half.

"The carbon construction allows the seat frames to be integrated into the load-bearing structure. There are also connections to the door sills and centre console, which means only a very small and unobtrusive B-pillar is required. The BMW Vision Future Luxury’s wide- opening coach doors would not have been possible without this new carbon B-pillar solution." - This just totally cracks me up. LOL. The 1960's Lincoln Continental made a 4-door (coach rear doors) convertible with just a half B-pillar.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-20-2014 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #48
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
In essence...design , engineering and technology this is the G11.

This is our new DNA. You will see many cars in this concept both from an engineering , exterior and interior perspective. Its important to clothe the outer skin to look as sporty and dynamic to reflect the new DNA's athleticism under the skin.

Essentially it is the new 7er but if you de-magnify you will also get the G30.

The exceptionally large kidney grille will not feature on the 7er. But it will be on the X7.
The X7 will be the luxurious SAV that is twinned with the new 7er, it is not going to be an extended X5.
Impressive design, love the interior...

However if this is 'essentially' the 7er and X7 crossed, what on Earth will be saved for the 8 and 9 series?

Mag lev? Heated door panels? Hot tub?

I don't see how this concept leaves much to build into the 9er
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #49
zarehs27
designer
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 325i Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
Amazing. A work of art. HOWEVER after taking a long breathe I realize that this car is a dream and reality is far, far harsher. And yes I understand the difference between concept and production.

Remember when this (4 ser concept) turned into this (4ser)?? A seat Leon has led turn signals as standart and to be honest and with all due respect to 4ser owners its design looks dated allready and its bmw's dullest coup ever (certainly not as good as my 43year old E9 coup here in a Basque mountain pass)

Now look at this - if this 100k no extras bimmer as an interior as cheap as this (idrive from a 20k 116i plastics as cheap as a vw polo and temperature controls that look like a 80's aftermarket cd player ) I mean a 25k merc c class interior may not look as grand but certainly more upmarket and better quality

Again look at the seatbelt rest in the new 4ser convertible - very cheap plastic and the one you find in a 14 year old e46 3 ser convert. Look at the panel gap in the new x5 - that bmw airbrushed in publicity pics - or the electric seat controls in a bimmer and an audi .
This to say that bmw can not compete with the vw group in terms of cost cutting so I have serious reservations for the future of this car. It is gorgeous and it even reminds me of the E9 rear. But this is a concept and reality will be very far from this.
And I wouldnt be bothered by these issues if at least new bimmers drove as good as past greats, but again reality is most new bimmers (bar m235) can hold against direct rivals - z4 vs cayman , x3 vs macan, M5 vs E63 amg, 7 vs S8, Cayenne vs X5 etc.

Sorry about long post but had this in mind for awhile and nothing better to do this sunday

at least its just not us paying customers suffering from cost cutting. poor bmw designers dont even have a table to design
+1
You are so right about what you're saying...
I've been driving BMW's for 20 years, all coupes...I had planned to buy a 428i but I can't get past the fact that it looks and feels cheaper than a car half the price...Here, a 428 is costing 90.000$ without leather nor electric seats or leds!!...It simply isn't acceptable!
I don't understand how BMW thinks it can keep up like this when Mercedes is proposing within the same price range an interior that looks 10 times more expensive, better designed, more individual than a 3 series...when they have individual looking seats for each model...when they have different color seat belts and stitching for each line..
and we only have (m sport models) 3 interiors to select from and 4 exterior color.
The worst insult now is the X4, how would that car compete with a Porsche Macan?...the interior looks at best like a car from the 80's..
I really hope they can get their act together before suffering in sales.

PS: I'm still hoping for some better options/changes (at least blue stitching on black leather) to order my new car, ONLY to feel that it was worth the change...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:05 AM   #50
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
A seat Leon has led turn signals as standard

Now look at this - if this 100k no extras bimmer as an interior as cheap as this (idrive from a 20k 116i plastics as cheap as a vw polo and temperature controls that look like a 80's aftermarket cd player )
I really have to agree with you here. The purposeful holding back of LEDs for the LCI models is absolutely ridiculous. It's 2014, and this sort of thing is standard all over the place. The Toyota Corolla even comes with LED lowbeams and full LED headlights as standard. BMW has had the ability to do LED lights for well over ten years (E46 LCI had them), but purposefully screws over people who buy pre-LCI cars.

As for the plastics, it's a shame to see from those pictures that it looks like they're using that same plastic even in the i8. When I had an F30 for a few days, I couldn't believe how cheap looking and feeling the plastic shifter surround was. It would have felt out of place in a Kia Optima, let alone a BMW.

Back on topic, I'm not crazy about this design. I think the profile looks pretty good and I could learn to love the rear. But the kidneys are waaayyyy overdone; even bigger than on the 7 Series where I think they're already excessive. It makes the front of the car look too "snouty."
      04-20-2014, 08:30 AM   #51
X3paul
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells
Quote:
A seat Leon has led turn signals as standard

Now look at this - if this 100k no extras bimmer as an interior as cheap as this (idrive from a 20k 116i plastics as cheap as a vw polo and temperature controls that look like a 80's aftermarket cd player )
I really have to agree with you here. The purposeful holding back of LEDs for the LCI models is absolutely ridiculous. It's 2014, and this sort of thing is standard all over the place. The Toyota Corolla even comes with LED lowbeams and full LED headlights as standard. BMW has had the ability to do LED lights for well over ten years (E46 LCI had them), but purposefully screws over people who buy pre-LCI cars.

As for the plastics, it's a shame to see from those pictures that it looks like they're using that same plastic even in the i8. When I had an F30 for a few days, I couldn't believe how cheap looking and feeling the plastic shifter surround was. It would have felt out of place in a Kia Optima, let alone a BMW.

Back on topic, I'm not crazy about this design. I think the profile looks pretty good and I could learn to love the rear. But the kidneys are waaayyyy overdone; even bigger than on the 7 Series where I think they're already excessive. It makes the front of the car look too "snouty."
Thats my point. I have been driving bimmers for 20 years now started with a e36 e series to e46, a seven, previous gen x3 and current x3 and the quality is worst when the competion gets better. And now after 20 years i am jumping ship, and exchanging my x3 for a macan, the main reason beeing the x3 terrible to drive (in 3 years never put a smile in my face its just A to B vehicle) and the macan looks like to be everything the x3 should have been.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 09:48 AM   #52
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

This is the second concept from BMW I've seen that has this design language. I like it. I especially love the interior, but somehow I fear that when the actual car gets made, the super sexy and sleek interior won't come off looking like those pics.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #53
mikefromMA
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m4

Garage List
2017 BMW m4  [0.00]
2015 428  [0.00]
supreme
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #54
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Absolutely hideous front end.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #55
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Added gallery:

BMW Vision Future Luxury Concept Debut at 2014 Beijing Auto Show

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #56
GolfProGiff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335is

Garage List
A Rolls with a BMW badge? I think they are going after the big $$$ market of the Bentley boys and such. I'm certainly no expert but I am around the uber wealthy "country club" type daily and this is the type of car they buy IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #57
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

WOW its stunning
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #58
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:

wtf are you on about sad loser
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #59
ADRQ0811
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current 2013 BMW F30 Past 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadjali
I like it ... Wish this will be the next 7 Series! ... But this huge kidney grille and tiny headlights is mismatching ... Also the read door open style should be Rolls Royce exclusive feature.
I agree
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #60
FlyAsTheFCUK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 14' 435i M Sport

I guess most people started their 420 celebration already...this concept is AMAZING. The level of detail described let's you know that we should see many of the design and technology starting with the upcoming 7er.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #61
X3paul
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro
Quote:

wtf are you on about sad loser
smart reply. thanks. i can see ur point.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #62
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
smart reply. thanks. i can see ur point.
lol
      04-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #63
stupendous11
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is & X5

I like the interior better than the exterior. The versatility of the electronics is nice, but worries me a bit about maintenance costs when it has issues
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #64
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

BMW needs a whole new design team ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #65
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Sharp looking car inside and out but I still hate the oddly shaped automatic shifters in BMWs nowadays
      04-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #66
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I can see great potential in the design but man those grills and lights...I won't call it kidneys since it looks more like a Mad Max DD bra with the lights being the straps. Absolutely horrendous front on this concept. Tone that down with proper dimensions and a few other touches and this can be great.

Last edited by solstice; 04-20-2014 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread