E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Would you make sacrifices for your dream job?

09-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Would you make sacrifices for your dream job?

I was recently approached by a company I have been dreaming of working for for the past several years to apply for a job that would have me traveling around the country/world? working on an innovative technology for some very high profile clients. For privacy reasons I can't go into much detail but I can tell you that some of their clients are companies like Nike, Williams Sonoma, Google, Amazon, etc.

The job is a consultant position and requires 50-75% travel on the company's dime. The compensation package is well.. fantastic. Lots of benefits and perks.. but I will be a road warrior for the majority of my time.

This is all fine and everything but with such a job will come various sacrifices. For one, I am paying ~$3K a month for an apartment in the SFBay area that I would literally only be living in on weekends. Second, I have a dog. If I take this job I will need to give him up. I'm in talks with my family to see if they will consider taking him in. Then there's the social life/support group that I just won't have since I will be traveling almost all of the time and friends circles will drift apart. I am okay with most of these things since I recently jumped out here to the bay area anyway (past 2 months) and haven't quite built up a large network of friends in this region.

So my question is - what would you be willing to sacrifice to work in a job you've sought after for a long time? I'll likely need to commit to this role for at least 18 months before transitioning to a more regional role.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

If you're doing it for the money, get rid of the apartment and hunker down.
If you're doing it for the advancement, better know where this ship is headed..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i did road warrior shit for a short time. it ages you fast and it takes a special person to turn it into a career. near the end, i would pack a bunch a melatonin and munch it up after i got back from the client so i can just sleep until the next day so the trip would seem to end faster.

some of the people that i would meet that did it for several years were regulars on sites like backpage. you can almost always find them at the bar scrolling and scrolling until eventually a questionable person would meet them and they would scamper away.

the guy that looks 50 or 60 was really just 35.

on the other hand, there are a few people that thrive in that environment and do a fine job. it's rare though imo.

me personally, would not give up my dog for anyone or anything. the poor thing just loves you for no reason. in addition, you sound single. it might be hard to find "the one" if you're always on the road.

if you're single, young and it's truly just 18 months then there's no better time for positioning. the thing is, consulting companies might say 18 months but they really mean 36.
      09-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #4
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Your call, you really have to weigh what you want.

But do remember... some would kill to have opportunities of that scale; others would kill to be able to spend more time at home...
      09-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Congrats on the opportunity. It certainly sounds like a good one, and one you're excited about. I hope for the dog's sake your family can look after him/her. I'd never give up a dog for a job. EVER. That being said, if you're going to take on an assignment that has you travelling a lot, the time to do it is when you're single and don't have any children. The only toll it will take will be on yourself. I travel for work, but it's less than 50%. And I find that very doable. But being on the road 75% of the time? That's rough mate.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

It amazes me that it's your dream job and yet you hesitate and have to ask for advice when it hits you dead smack in the face.

Gotta really take these opportunities before it's too late. You'll just regret for not trying.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Take it.

You can always switch jobs if it turns out you don't like it.

Leaving a dog and an apartment is nothing like leaving kids 75% of the time -- and if you plan to have kids one day, this type of opportunity will either be unrealistic or come with an opportunity cost 100x what it is for you today.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #8
aksi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Based on strictly what you wrote..
You seem like you do not have your own family yet.
Your family takes the dog, i would take the job that i dreamed of. 18 months will go so quick, and we are talking about your "dream job".
I would suggest you move to a less expensive place, still decent, because you will not be using it too much.
I once worked very far from where I was originally from. I kept the place when I moved. So i had two apartments and that lasted about... 18 months.
At the end, i did regret that I indeed "wasted" money for having two places. At that time, i was going to make more than twice of what I was making and it was more than enough to keep both places, have more cars, and the money was still piling up.
BUT, i could have saved even more if i was smart enough to give up on the old place.
Well, this is going somewhere else now lol so i will wrap up.
I mean, you get the point: what are you waiting for. Go get the job Congratulations btw.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I have done this and have no regrets. Go see the world. It's an opportunity of a lifetime! Do it while you're young. Maybe rent out your apartment and get a cheaper, smaller one for now?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Do it. If you don't then refer me, I'll take your place.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Dump the apt and find a local hotel you like. Probably cheaper, and will keep you in the groove of hotel life. Visit family/dog on weekends and get home cooking.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #12
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
i did road warrior shit for a short time. it ages you fast and it takes a special person to turn it into a career. near the end, i would pack a bunch a melatonin and munch it up after i got back from the client so i can just sleep until the next day so the trip would seem to end faster.

some of the people that i would meet that did it for several years were regulars on sites like backpage. you can almost always find them at the bar scrolling and scrolling until eventually a questionable person would meet them and they would scamper away.

the guy that looks 50 or 60 was really just 35.

on the other hand, there are a few people that thrive in that environment and do a fine job. it's rare though imo.

me personally, would not give up my dog for anyone or anything. the poor thing just loves you for no reason. in addition, you sound single. it might be hard to find "the one" if you're always on the road.

if you're single, young and it's truly just 18 months then there's no better time for positioning. the thing is, consulting companies might say 18 months but they really mean 36.
These are some excellent points. I had to go look up what backpages is lol (oops NSFW). Its really not in my nature to do that kind of thing lol so I don't see that being an issue.

I do have a girlfriend that lives in Houston and she's looking into jobs out here in the bay area and is contemplating moving into my place, but this could be several months or even a year out.

In regards to the timeframe - this company is not primarily a consulting company they are actually a software company with a Consulting division. The plan is to work as a consultant for 18-24 months and then transition into a Solution Architect role which will be more regional and much much less travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
It amazes me that it's your dream job and yet you hesitate and have to ask for advice when it hits you dead smack in the face.

Gotta really take these opportunities before it's too late. You'll just regret for not trying.
I agree - I have this issue where I run through every possible scenario in my head before making a decision. I think I get it from my dad lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Do it. If you don't then refer me, I'll take your place.
Lol thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Dump the apt and find a local hotel you like. Probably cheaper, and will keep you in the groove of hotel life. Visit family/dog on weekends and get home cooking.
Luckily the company has no problem with sending me wherever I want during offtime/weekends so I can visit family or go home depending on my mood. I literally just signed a 1year lease so it appears for at least the next 11 months I will just have to keep the place. Honestly that is the least of my worries though as I really like my new place and would prefer to go home to a comfortable place I can call my own to unwind instead of another hotel.

Thanks for all the responses. I posted this up here because I figured many of you probably have or are working in similar positions and was curious how you felt about them. This really is the job I've been seeking for a long time now and with the exact company I had dreamed of. That said... I'm pretty sure I'm going to do it. Spoke to the HR department today and things are looking very good.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

What I have learned is that you should jump on all the opportunities presented to you. It's a good thing. So glad to hear that you're doing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

You been dreaming of doing this job for years so why are you hesitating?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:05 PM   #15
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee View Post
You been dreaming of doing this job for years so why are you hesitating?
only because i'm going to miss my doge
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

I did this a couple years out of college, worked from a big six consulting firm IT discipline. Got very similar commitments for them, mine was I lived on west coast SD at the time but was willing to move to LA/Orange county and they would base me there after @ 12 months. Well 4 and half years later still travelling still based in Chicago which meant when on the bench I had to show up in Chicago. I had started a family and basically missed quite a few defining moments in my daughters life. Was a good job good compensation etc. but being away from my family killed my marriage. If you know you won't be in the same situation during the duration of time and someone you can trust takes your dog then go for it. But I will say, after 30 years in IT, 24 of it as a consultant, what firms say and do is up to the client market and situation so be prepared for things not to happen.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I'm assuming you're young, so imho you have to go for it. First of all, your 3k/mo. apt. should be covered by this potential employer. If not, that's a pay cut, ask for more salary as you're working it out. They will try to say you have to have a home anyway, why should we pay for it? You say, I could be based out of east bum f*** for $285/mo., not SF. If you cave in and believe they should not pay, then it's moot.

Secondly, I assume you're not married and have no kids. Once you do, you'll have to compromise and you will not be in a position to make the decision on your own. For example, as a dad, can you see your kid(s) once/wk or once/mo. and facetime the rest? Prolly not.

I'm a dog lover and have had mine for 11 1/2 yrs. since rescuing him. If you let a dog stand between you and a perfect opportunity, then that's your decision again.

Again, traveling around the world is neither here nor there once you're older, but it beats going to the same office day in / out when you're young. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnastyman View Post
I do have a girlfriend that lives in Houston and she's looking into jobs out here in the bay area and is contemplating moving into my place, but this could be several months or even a year out.
I don't think we know your age nor how long you've been with your g/f. Fact is, you're not going to see her regularly, possibly on weekends. But if you live in SF and she in Houston, you prolly don't see her that much anyway.

If you're going to be sailing around the world, you want to behave like a sailor when the ship docks and comes into a new port, if you know catch my drift.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #19
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I did this a couple years out of college, worked from a big six consulting firm IT discipline. Got very similar commitments for them, mine was I lived on west coast SD at the time but was willing to move to LA/Orange county and they would base me there after @ 12 months. Well 4 and half years later still travelling still based in Chicago which meant when on the bench I had to show up in Chicago. I had started a family and basically missed quite a few defining moments in my daughters life. Was a good job good compensation etc. but being away from my family killed my marriage. If you know you won't be in the same situation during the duration of time and someone you can trust takes your dog then go for it. But I will say, after 30 years in IT, 24 of it as a consultant, what firms say and do is up to the client market and situation so be prepared for things not to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
the thing is, consulting companies might say 18 months but they really mean 36.
      09-26-2014, 12:05 PM   #20
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Go for it.
      09-26-2014, 12:50 PM   #21
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I don't think we know your age nor how long you've been with your g/f. Fact is, you're not going to see her regularly, possibly on weekends. But if you live in SF and she in Houston, you prolly don't see her that much anyway.

If you're going to be sailing around the world, you want to behave like a sailor when the ship docks and comes into a new port, if you know catch my drift.
I'm 27 - no kids no family. Been with this girl for about 2 years now. We see each other about 1-2 x a month at the time being and talk/face-time etc frequently throughout the week.

I've only been in the bay area about 2 months now though so we'll see how that goes. She and I are both pretty independent though so if she DOES end up moving in with me it might be a blessing as we'll have our space during the week and can hang out on the weekends or I can fly her out to wherever I am depending if its a cool spot or not.

But I get your drift.. Not sure at this point how our relationship is going to work out so we're talking this through. She won't tell me not to take the job because she doesn't want me to resent her but at some point she will want more involvement. I think this may be a good way for us to ease into living together though since we wont be in each other's face 24/7.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #22
youngnastyman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I have seen this type of situation with many people. This company, however, is not solely a Consulting company. I'll be working for the consulting division for the next few years at least and will position myself to move into a role with less travel. And if that doesn't "happen", its not like I've signed my soul over to them. like another member mentioned if I don't like it I can always leave. But I won't knwo unless I try.

As for the dog - both my brother and sister have offered to care for him if I take the gig. They have a house and kids and he'll be well cared for and have lots of attention.
Appreciate 0