E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Top Gear USA premiere tonight! History Channel (thoughts and reviews)

11-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #111
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

I think the show wont be around long enough for them to build chemistry. The part that bothered me most was the ''jokes'' they tried to make , just made the show so awkward. That's the one word that best sums in up for me AWKWARD. And a side note , yea sure the first episode of TGUK was not what it is now , BUT I feel it was way better than the american first episode.
      11-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #112
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

The fat guy has to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #113
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iMIAMI View Post
I think the show wont be around long enough for them to build chemistry. The part that bothered me most was the ''jokes'' they tried to make , just made the show so awkward. That's the one word that best sums in up for me AWKWARD. And a side note , yea sure the first episode of TGUK was not what it is now , BUT I feel it was way better than the american first episode.
I agree. The thing that bothers me is it trying to hard to be the british top gear. I think they should've done their own style of things-Different studio(theirs looks identical to bbc top gear), Name the test driver something other than the stig. Things along those lines should've been changed to make it different. If I want to watch the show "Top Gear" I am going to watch the better of the two.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #114
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

To me the camera work seemed to have improved on episode 2. They still need to loose those plastic blocks and hay stacks from the 'test track'.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #115
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Taking Supercars and putting them on dry lake beds and getting the sidewards in a cloud of dust isnt impressive at all and it actually makes me cringe that that would treat top shelf cars that way. They took a Lambo the last episode and did some donuts in a gravel parking lot. Acting like 16 tear olds with a 89 camry. Find good roads and test the cars on a proper surface. Test 4X4's on dirt roads, not performance cars.

Last edited by NYC6; 11-29-2010 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #116
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Fire the the producer, director and head of talent and it might make it.

I am sorry but the show is hard to watch. "Fat guy" seems nervous when he speaks and the dead air between commentary is just as bad as the first show. No chemistry at all as said. I give it a 2 of 10. It's just bad.
      11-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #117
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Taking Supercars and putting them on dry lake beds and getting the sidewards in a cloud of dust isnt impressibe at all and it actually makes me cringe that that would treat top shelf cars that way. They took a Lambo the last episode and did some donuts in a gravel parking lot. Acting like 16 tear olds with a 89 camry. Find good roads and test the cars on a proper surface. Test 4X4's on dirt roads, not performance cars.
i dont see the problem here, tg uk does the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #118
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Taking Supercars and putting them on dry lake beds and getting the sidewards in a cloud of dust isnt impressibe at all and it actually makes me cringe that that would treat top shelf cars that way. They took a Lambo the last episode and did some donuts in a gravel parking lot. Acting like 16 tear olds with a 89 camry. Find good roads and test the cars on a proper surface. Test 4X4's on dirt roads, not performance cars.
What made me cringe was driving one Aston behind the other at speed with all that shit being kicked up.... Not because I thought it was stupid or sacreligious, but simply because I couldn't imagine what it was doing to the paint on such beautiful cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:50 AM   #119
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
i dont see the problem here, tg uk does the same thing?
I think it's fair to say they earned the right to do whatever they please with cars. The History Channel wannabees have earned zip so when they pretend they're Clarkson, Hammond and May it just looks juvenile.
      11-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #120
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

I watched it last night again at to be honest it hurts to watch. Jeez these douches are just horrible , I've come to the conclusion the show will never be good just because of the host. If they want the show to be successful they need to clean house , and re think everything. People that are into cars like us(only people that will watch this show) , don't want fat nerds that look like they've never driven a car past 100 mph testing cars , and giving us he's useless opinion. And like someone said above the fat guy looked nervous , and uneasy.
      11-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #121
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Top Gear USA...

Does anyone else think the Top Gear USA version blows chode???

It has just no energy like the British version
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #122
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457125
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #123
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I've only seen the first episode but it lacks a lot compared to the British version. The hosts are trying too hard and have no chemistry.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #124
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

I don't know, I watched the second episode. It seems the chubby dude works well with the others. He's pretty funny too.

I really liked the "can the two other Top Gear hosts beat the blind guy in a drifting contest" bit--it was pretty good and funny as hell.

Also really liked the Aston Martin bit.
      11-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #125
atalladega
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

You people all tearing down the show need to have an open mind and think down the road! Jeez, Lighten up! If you would just open your minds and enjoy the wheels spinning and smoke for a while maybe US will have a car show of some caliber to watch. I love TG because they treat the supercars like rentals and throw them around like everyone wants to. Most of the time if we see one on the road they are being driven with such a caution that makes them unexciting to see in person.

As far as car shows go what do we have now? Motorweek? IF you have BBC America, as I do, then great we have TGUK! TGUS just means more supercars doing dumbs stuff. If you don't then you have a TG! Finally! If the hosts are killing you so bad then hit mute and play some music and imagine it as an hour long music video! Perhaps if you give it some time and give it a chance then hopefully we will have a great Top Gear US someday.

How many M3 concepts do you think were accepted by the design team on the first rendering or even the first 10? I'm just asking? LOL Lighten up.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #126
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
I don't know, I watched the second episode. It seems the chubby dude works well with the others. He's pretty funny too.

I really liked the "can the two other Top Gear hosts beat the blind guy in a drifting contest" bit--it was pretty good and funny as hell.

Also really liked the Aston Martin bit.
I thought it was funny too. A very "outside the box" piece. I appreciated it a lot. The delivery and commentary, as well as the chemistry between the hosts still needs work, but I actually enjoyed that part of the show without cringing. Also, they showed a preview of a piece in the upcoming episode which made me think "Hey I want to see that". I can't remember exactly what it was, but I'll be watching next Sunday for sure.

I agree with an above poster about not trying so hard to be a copy of BBC TopGear with the layout of the studio and everything. Take some creative approaches to things like that.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #127
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

I actually thought the second episode was a big improvement from the first. It felt a bit more natural, there was a bit more humor, and the hosts seemed a bit more comfortable. It's still got a way to go, but it seems they're moving in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #128
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
I actually thought the second episode was a big improvement from the first. It felt a bit more natural, there was a bit more humor, and the hosts seemed a bit more comfortable. It's still got a way to go, but it seems they're moving in the right direction.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #129
atalladega
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

BTW, I loved the blind guy drifting segment! I especially loved that he made the handbrake parking spot! I actually my wife and I jumped out of our seats and screamed "YAH!" and high fived. LOL I also thought it was funny when they were getting an artistic shot of the dog in the fore ground with the car rolling in then the camera man dropped the camera as the blind guy approached. :P
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #130
mad_max
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Looking for E46 M3

Best is not to measure this with the same yard stick. True -it will never come close TGUK. Just watch the TGUS as an interlude between two seasons of TGUK!

If it did not have a 'Top Gear' name plate but was just another car show on History channel, wouldn't you watch it? I would mostly because the sheer lack of automotive programs on the major cable channels..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #131
ki__
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
the show is a bit awkward but hopefully that will change. I think the guys need to be more laid back and relaxed because it feels like the are just reading off of something and are nervous.... And they need to seriously be a little more creative with the ideas..

I mean..
1) Same suit on the stig as UK...at least make it black or something
2) The 2nd episode racing in the snow..was just like the one UK episode where they had the audi rs6.
3) Same exact setting in the studio..

they need to be different and bring something new to the table otherwise it will never grow.

and seriously the guest time is so awkward..

but other than that, i don't mind seeing some nice cars on tv

i kinda liked the drifting part, i laughed lol
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #132
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

I thought last nights episode was 10x better than the frist

Tanner can drive, he was awesome in the evo. and i noticed a little more personality from him this episode.

Rut looks like he can be a funny guy, but needs to be more confident.

adam is kinda annoying and cant really drive, but neither can the guys in TG aus, except for steve.

I see the potential the show has now. They just need to clean up their act.

I hope the show stays on the air, and I hope the guys wont be afraid to bash cars where bashing is due.
Appreciate 0