E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Franklin BBQ in Austin, TX

03-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #23
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Lockhart is an easy 30 minute drive for me and my wife and I like to visit each place and eat a little bit at each. But damn, Kreuz's did NOT impress me. They say no knives but their brisket was TOUGH. Could be an off day, but I was not impressed.

Great pics, by the way!
No I'm with you. I didn't like Kreuz's either for the exact reasons you mentioned.

I'm not too big on BBQ but for the few BBQ places I've been to, I've generally found the meats (particularly the ribs and brisket, but especially the ribs) to be way too tough for my liking.

Places like Kreuz's, Iron Works (Austin), Black's all seem to offer the same style of meat. I believe I've tried Smitty's as well. I suppose some people enjoy the carnal experience that comes with ripping tough, tendinous meat off the bone but I just don't like that style. That's why I really do enjoy Franklin. I don't think the lines are worth it so I don't go to Franklin often, but I do appreciate the fact that their brisket and sausage are at least super moist and slow cooked long enough for my liking.

When it comes to baby back ribs, I actually prefer a chain like Rudy's believe it or not. Rudy's BBQ ribs are consistently moist and tender.

The only problem I have with Rudy's is the pricing. For the Westlake location (off of 360), Rudy's charges $16 for a full rack of ribs. Go to amarillo or south texas and you'll find the same, full rack of ribs offered for $3 or $4. I find that to be incredibly irritating so I don't go to Rudy's all that often either.

Yeah I just looked up some Rudy's menu prices

Brownsville, Del Rio, Amarillo - $6.79 per .5 lb baby back ribs
Allen - $8.49 per half lb
Austin (360) - $16.75 per half lb
Houston (290) - $6.79
Houston (I10W/Katy) - $6.79
Kileen - $6.79

IIRC a couple of locations offer ribs for as low as $4. What the hell kind of wizardry is this?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #24
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

This may be irrational but if I knew Rudy's charged $16.75 for everyone, I'd actually go more often. But I absolutely can't stand the thought of being ripped off with a "bullshit surcharge" for no good reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #25
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

there are one or two Rudy's here in Houston - it's pretty much the McDonalds of BBQ.

gross.....

we would rather take a 5 hour round trip to eat legit BBQ LOL !!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #26
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lockhart is an easy 30 minute drive for me and my wife and I like to visit each place and eat a little bit at each. But damn, Kreuz's did NOT impress me. They say no knives but their brisket was TOUGH. Could be an off day, but I was not impressed.

Great pics, by the way!
on April 5th, about 35 bikers (Yamaha Raider Owners) will be meeting at Black's BBQ in Lockhart @ 11:30am.

I'm leading a group of @ 15 bikes from Houston to Giddings to meet up with everyone else.

35 Raiders will leave Giddings and go down to Smithville - then we're heading north into Bastrop - then finally going south to Lockhart

I honestly think it will be more than 35 because there are 34 registered right now and we have 20+ days left.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:10 PM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
If you want to know why America has the reputation it does, take a look at the crowd shot of the MOPAR meet. LOL

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #28
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I get my BBQ from 2 places anymore. My brother-in-law will spend days smoking meat for parties and it's always awesome. And this guy who sits on the side of the road near my house with his smoker. Best pulled pork, ribs, brisket i've ever had. You can bring him your meat and he'll smoke it up to your liking. He must have done 300 turkeys on Thanksgiving last year!

There was a place in colorado that had the best bbq sausage i've ever had. Was Wisconsin cheddar & jalapeño pepper sausages. Effing unbelievable!

But as mentioned in this thread, it's not toooo difficult to get good BBQ. When visiting a BBQ place i guess i would judge 50% on the meat and 50% on the sides. With most places having pretty darn good BBQ; good, unique sides is where it's at for me. I think the stuff by my house on the side of the road is comparable with the more famous places i've been, but because it's 1 mile from my house, it's the best! haha It helps they get all their bread from a local cuban bakery delivered every morning. Unfortunately they don't have any sides other than they're pretty awesome baked beans. But the convenience factor means i don't mind making my own sides.
      03-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #29
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
there are one or two Rudy's here in Houston - it's pretty much the McDonalds of BBQ.

gross.....

we would rather take a 5 hour round trip to eat legit BBQ LOL !!!!
Do you really dislike Rudy's that much? I have not been to the ones in Houston, but here in Austin, the Rudy's has consistently good BBQ. There really isn't anything they serve there that I don't like.

I'd say Dickey's is probably the McDonalds of BBQ.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #30
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
No I'm with you. I didn't like Kreuz's either for the exact reasons you mentioned.
What do you think about Ruby's on campus?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #31
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you really dislike Rudy's that much? I have not been to the ones in Houston, but here in Austin, the Rudy's has consistently good BBQ. There really isn't anything they serve there that I don't like.

I'd say Dickey's is probably the McDonalds of BBQ.
Rudy's is gross - Dickeys is gross.

they are my LAST RESORT for BBQ if I crave BBQ here in Houston.

there is "Houston's BBQ" in the Energy Corridor on the west side that is IDENTICAL to Luling City Market.

guy that runs that place started off at Luling City Market about 15 years ago.

everything is exactly the same - even down to the bottles of BBQ Sauce that they give you....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #32
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Rudy's is gross - Dickeys is gross.

they are my LAST RESORT for BBQ if I crave BBQ here in Houston.

there is "Houston's BBQ" in the Energy Corridor on the west side that is IDENTICAL to Luling City Market.

guy that runs that place started off at Luling City Market about 15 years ago.

everything is exactly the same - even down to the bottles of BBQ Sauce that they give you....
Disagree: I've eaten at Rudy's in San Antonio and it was definitely different than the Rudy's in Austin...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #33
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What do you think about Ruby's on campus?
Never been there! They seem to have a solid 4 star (average) review on google reviews, and 3.5/5 on yelp. I'll have to keep this place in mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #34
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Never been there! They seem to have a solid 4 star (average) review on google reviews, and 3.5/5 on yelp. I'll have to keep this place in mind.
I'd give it a try. I have eaten there perhaps five or so times. It does feel like stepping back in time for a bit, which is nice. Also try Stiles Switch, next to the Yellow Rose on Lamar. They're established now and their brisket (I went two weeks ago) has come a very long way. Definitely try some of the moist, it's very good.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #35
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
I hate overhyped restaurants, especially in a city like Austin where trendsters and hipsters would eaten fucking cardboard if it was popular.
Brother you couldn't have said it any better, this town is so over-hyped it's ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #36
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Disagree: I've eaten at Rudy's in San Antonio and it was definitely different than the Rudy's in Austin...
with the amount of travelling i've done over the years to taste some of the most amazing BBQ in the state, Rudy's is at the bottom, by a long shot.....

Rudy's is far from any list of "best BBQ places" in Texas.....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #37
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
with the amount of travelling i've done over the years to taste some of the most amazing BBQ in the state, Rudy's is at the bottom, by a long shot.....

Fair enough mate. What is your top 10 in Texas?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #38
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Best baby back ribs are at Hillstone/Houston's restaurants (a few nationwide, including Dallas and Houston in TX).

Not a Salt Lick fan, except for their taco cart at the Austin airport, believe it or jot - amazing...
      03-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #39
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:

In Rudy's defense they do market themselves as the "worst BBQ in TX"
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #40
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
Best baby back ribs are at Hillstone/Houston's restaurants (a few nationwide, including Dallas and Houston in TX).

Not a Salt Lick fan, except for their taco cart at the Austin airport, believe it or jot - amazing...
I'm a huge fan of Houston's baby back ribs. There's a location in Austin as well although it's called "Bartlett's" now.

The only problem is they drench their beautifully cooked ribs with a cheap, disgusting, tangy "hill country bbq sauce" (I always ask them to go easy on the sauce) but the cookery on the meat itself is fantastic. They brine their ribs for 24-48 hours and so the ribs end up being super tender.

I used to be a fan of Jasper's baby back ribs as well (one location in Plano and one in Austin) but the quality has gone down hill over the years. The sauce is way too tangy and the cookery on the meat doesn't even remotely compare to what it used to be when they first opened.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #41
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
If you want to know why America has the reputation it does, take a look at the crowd shot of the MOPAR meet. LOL

I'm trying not to be offended by your comment.
      03-13-2014, 04:07 PM   #42
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough mate. What is your top 10 in Texas?
Black's BBQ and Luling City Market are a very close 1 and 2.

I always buy 4 or 5 extra links of sausage to take home from Luling - I give some to my dogs and I make some for breakfast the next morning.

Smitty's and Gatlins come in 3rd and 4th - everyone else is a toss up.

ever been to Smitty's !?!? place is amazing as well....

oh, I just wished that all these people that show up to the BBQ Cookoff at the Houston Rodeo would open up their own places HAHAHA !!!!

p.s.
be on the lookout for Killen's BBQ in Pearland Texas (in the city I live in).

it's about 15 miles south of downtown Houston.

for about 8 months last year he was cooking and selling BBQ from pop-up tents. the demand for him to start up a Killen's BBQ was overwhelming, so he opened up his own restaurant called Killen's BBQ.

everyone in the Houston area knows Ronnie Killen extremely well because he's pretty much a millionaire steakhouse owner - he owns Killen's Steakhouse.

if there wasn't over 6 million people in the area, he could put everyone out of business HAHA !!!!

here's his Steakhouse website: http://www.killenssteakhouse.com/chef-killen.html

and here's an article from the Houston Press talking about Killen's BBQ: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...ens_barbec.php

Killen's has a great shot at making the top 10 list in the state really quickly, if it's not already.

dude is a master.....

I plan on going there very very soon....I heard his lines are like 2 hour waits though

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #43
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

This looks phenomenal. It looks moist, juicy, and fatty with a great crust.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #44
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Black's BBQ and Luling City Market are a very close 1 and 2.

I always buy 4 or 5 extra links of sausage to take home from Luling - I give some to my dogs and I make some for breakfast the next morning.

Smitty's and Gatlins come in 3rd and 4th - everyone else is a toss up.

ever been to Smitty's !?!? place is amazing as well....

oh, I just wished that all these people that show up to the BBQ Cookoff at the Houston Rodeo would open up their own places HAHAHA !!!!

p.s.
be on the lookout for Killen's BBQ in Pearland Texas (in the city I live in).

it's about 15 miles south of downtown Houston.

for about 8 months last year he was cooking and selling BBQ from pop-up tents. the demand for him to start up a Killen's BBQ was overwhelming, so he opened up his own restaurant called Killen's BBQ.

everyone in the Houston area knows Ronnie Killen extremely well because he's pretty much a millionaire steakhouse owner - he owns Killen's Steakhouse.

if there wasn't over 6 million people in the area, he could put everyone out of business HAHA !!!!

here's his Steakhouse website: http://www.killenssteakhouse.com/chef-killen.html

and here's an article from the Houston Press talking about Killen's BBQ: http://blogs.houstonpress.com/eating...ens_barbec.php

Killen's has a great shot at making the top 10 list in the state really quickly, if it's not already.

dude is a master.....

I plan on going there very very soon....I heard his lines are like 2 hour waits though

Funny, my #1 in Lockhart is Black's a well. Did you ever visit that old prison they have there? I visited once on a dreary, rainy Saturday and was just handed a flashlight. There was no one else in there. Awesome experience.

Never been to Smitty's though, so I'll need to try that. I read the article on Killen's. Looks damn good, especially in this pic. Too bad about that damn line again. Maybe I'll just have to order 5 pounds of it then and get it to go.

Appreciate 0