E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Franklin BBQ in Austin, TX

03-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Question Franklin BBQ in Austin, TX

Anyone been/eaten here? Looks and sounds amazing! I do quite a bit of BBQng myself every Summer. Have a grill and smoker out back. Always looking to sample great foods when I travel.
Apparently this spot is LEGENDARY!

https://www.yahoo.com/food/franklin-...973377166.html

Brisket cooking for 16hrs @ Franklin:

03-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Yeah I've eaten here many times. The fatty brisket is very good and probably the best in Austin (imo).

It's a great BBQ place but they have a supply issue. They only carry a small amount of BBQ on any given day and they're only open from 11 AM - 2 PM.

However, if you want to actually eat you need to get there by 9:45 AM - 10 AM and stand in line. That's if you're willing to wait 45 minutes to an hour from the time they open (at 11). If you want to be first in line, you need to get there even before 9:45 AM. They often run out of BBQ well before 2 PM.

So it's just a hassle to eat there on a daily basis. I would definitely recommend it if you're coming from out of town, but you just have to keep these caveats in mind.

Personally I think franklin BBQ blows the salt lick out of the water. A lot of people in Austin are very high on salt lick but I don't see it.

Franklin was featured on Anthony Bourdain's "No reservations." Part 1 gives you an idea of exactly what I'm talking about. 2+ hour lines well before the place even opens.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Never been but I believe Jimmy Kimmel is down in Austin for the week and was raving about it
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Oh the sausage at Franklin is also phenomenal.

I'm extremely picky when it comes to ribs. I only like fall-off-the-bone ribs and none of the Texas BBQ places deliver. The meat is always way too tough for my liking. Franklin is no different in that regard.

The fatty brisket and sausage are superb, however.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I hate overhyped restaurants, especially in a city like Austin where trendsters and hipsters would eaten fucking cardboard if it was popular.

I wanted to hate Franklins with everything I had in me, just because it's so overhyped. I don't stand in lines, no matter what you're giving away or selling. I'm not a lemming and I have shit to do. So my friend and I ordered a ton over the phone and we picked it up to go. Walked over to his car and started digging in. And I have to say: it really was pretty damn amazing. I cannot lie.

However, if you want ambiance, take the little drive over to Lockhart try any of the BBQ joints over there such as Blacks, Smitty's, Kreuz's, etc.

Have a look here if you want some more variation: http://www.austinchronicle.com/food/...rbecue-joints/

With Franklin getting all the praise, a lot of places have REALLY stepped it up and make brisket JUST as tasty.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
hoffa3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 AW/SO

i have never eaten there, but i have had friends that have. they waited 2-3hrs to get their share of food. they said it was simply amazing..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Never been but I believe Jimmy Kimmel is down in Austin for the week and was raving about it
Austin is a zoo right now with all the SXSW idiots in town. I, along with everyone in this city, cannot wait for them all to leave.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Looks like Bourdain pretty much mirrors exactly what I said. He loves everything but the fatty brisket takes the cake for him -

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Austin is a zoo right now with all the SXSW idiots in town. I, along with everyone in this city, cannot wait for them all to leave.
amen brother
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Isn't that the place on the Chase CC commercial with Nobu?
      03-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Isn't that the place on the Chase CC commercial with Nobu?
Unfortunately, yes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I must say that this brisket looks damn good! And really GOOD brisket is not easy to come by! You have all these shitty as Dickeys serving up dry ass bark-like brisket (like most BBQ spots) and they charge $$$ just because they can. It's all about the time and prep. A big fatty piece bather in a generous salt and pepper and cayenne rub cooked for at least 12hrs is how it's done.

What about this line stuff? That sucks. Any way around that? I wasn't sure if they even accepted call in due to the short open hours and crazy lines.
      03-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #13
NemesisX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

I must say that this brisket looks damn good! And really GOOD brisket is not easy to come by! You have all these shitty as Dickeys serving up dry ass bark-like brisket (like most BBQ spots) and they charge $$$ just because they can. It's all about the time and prep. A big fatty piece bather in a generous salt and pepper and cayenne rub cooked for at least 12hrs is how it's done.

What about this line stuff? That sucks. Any way around that? I wasn't sure if they even accepted call in due to the short open hours and crazy lines.
If you like brisket then you'll like Franklin BBQ. See :23 to :30 (second video) for a shot of Franklin's fatty brisket. It's moist, fatty, and "melt-in-your-mouth." I can't stand ultra lean, dry brisket either. The brisket in the picture is actually lean brisket (I think). I wouldn't recommend it. Definitely get the fatty brisket if you go to Franklin's. It's quite a bit more moist and has a luscious "sheen" to it.

There's no way around the line. Franklin BBQ isn't a place where you wake up at 11:30 and think "Hmm, I'm feeling BBQ today let's go to franklin!" They'll run out of BBQ before you get to the counter. You pretty much have to plan to get there a couple of hours in advance of 11 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
If you like brisket then you'll like Franklin BBQ. See :23 to :30 (second video) for a shot of Franklin's fatty brisket. It's moist, fatty, and "melt-in-your-mouth." I can't stand ultra lean, dry brisket either. The brisket in the picture is actually lean brisket (I think). I wouldn't recommend it. Definitely get the fatty brisket if you go to Franklin's. It's quite a bit more moist and has a luscious "sheen" to it.

There's no way around the line. Franklin BBQ isn't a place where you wake up at 11:30 and think "Hmm, I'm feeling BBQ today let's go to franklin!" They'll run out of BBQ before you get to the counter. You pretty much have to plan to get there a couple of hours in advance of 11 AM.
There most certainly is a way around the line: you have to place a large order (minimum 5 pounds of meat). Then you have to pick it up between 10am and 10:30am three days later. At $17/pound, you came grub with friends for less than $90!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #15
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
There most certainly is a way around the line: you have to place a large order (minimum 5 pounds of meat). Then you have to pick it up between 10am and 10:30am three days later. At $17/pound, you came grub with friends for less than $90!
Yeah I figured the $$ amount would come into play. There is always some way to bypass lines. Either ca$h or connections has been my experience.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like my kind of place.

Smoked and chared beef is one of the absolute BEST flavors on Earth!!!

I actually make tacos out of chopped brisket too.
      03-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #16
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

STOP!! You guys are making me hungry!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #17
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
I would gladly drop $90 to avoid that 2 hour line….. time > money at that point. Plus, for 5 lbs of meet, that's easily enough for a few people, so your own cost is reduced a fair amount, making it an even more logical idea.

If I ever go to that city, which I don't plan to… I'll order ahead lol
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #18
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

I consider myself quite the Texas BBQ aficionado......

hell, my car club makes foodie runs every 2 or 3 months just to eat at various BBQ Joints around the Central/South East Texas region.

places I've eaten BBQ (which all have been listed at one time or another as the Best BBQ Places in Texas)

http://www.citypass.com/blog/12-top-...ue-spots-visit

I haven't been to Goode's or Franklin's or Louie's or Meyers though.....

Black's BBQ
Kreuz's BBQ
Smitty's
Luling City Market
Salt Lick
Gatlin's BBQ
Snow's BBQ
Cooper's BBQ
Zion's
Mikeskas

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

and you know what !?!? I couldn't even tell you which one is my favorite.

they all have good quality food - that's why we typically drive 2 to 3 hours one way to eat food.

anywhere from 40-60 cars rolling down the highway transporting humans with empty bellies lol.

some don't provide you with forks or knives or anything, and even some of them won't let you use BBQ Sauce lol......

I've never been to a BBQ Joint down here that I didn't like.....
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #20
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
and you know what !?!? I couldn't even tell you which one is my favorite.

they all have good quality food - that's why we typically drive 2 to 3 hours one way to eat food.

anywhere from 40-60 cars rolling down the highway transporting humans with empty bellies lol.

some don't provide you with forks or knives or anything, and even some of them won't let you use BBQ Sauce lol......

I've never been to a BBQ Joint down here that I didn't like.....
Lockhart is an easy 30 minute drive for me and my wife and I like to visit each place and eat a little bit at each. But damn, Kreuz's did NOT impress me. They say no knives but their brisket was TOUGH. Could be an off day, but I was not impressed.

Great pics, by the way!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
this belongs in the foodie thread
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
this belongs in the foodie thread
We should probably start a BBQ thread...
Appreciate 0