E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How cheap are you?

03-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #45
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
There's a fine line between being frugal and having some type of a disorder.
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #46
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I have a buddy, actually who am I kidding he's actually my best friend. He likes to top off every bottle of whatever he buys in the supermarket. Things like body liquid soap, detergents, basically anything liquid with a screw cap. When he gets sick, he goes and just pops open what ever medicine he needs, swallows it and leaves. I keep telling him its theft and he says these fuckers are over charging on meds and not filling damn liquids to the top lol.
I think your friend has an intelligence deficit.

Being a thief and being frugal are not the same thing. Is he a capitalism police? What business is it of his and who made him the judge to decide whether the manufacturer and the store (two different companies making a margin on that one product) is overcharging? Furthermore, a manufacturer isn't ripping you off by not topping off a liquid. It has, within a reasonable margin of error, the exact amount of liquid as printed on the label. If a bottle were to hold 20 fl oz of liquid and filled to the very top, there is no room for expansion during the bottling process which is why the bottle might hold 22 fl oz instead of 20.

And you say he has a $1M+ net worth? Using his logic, someone should skim off his assets and see how well he takes it. I hate douchebags like him.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #47
Magnaflux
Banned
Rep
Drives: '10 M3

It’s an Asian thing. That’s why you see them live 10 in an apartment with one bathroom and wear knock off sneakers and clothes from the 99cent store.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #48
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaflux View Post
It’s an Asian thing. That’s why you see them live 10 in an apartment with one bathroom and wear knock off sneakers and clothes from the 99cent store.
I suppose you think all Mexicans pick strawberry's for a living and all blacks are criminals
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #49
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly it. I've never seen or heard of 10 white, black, or hispanic people living in an apartment wearing knock off sneakers and clothes now that I think about it.

I expect you live in a three bedroom, two bath, one basement with your mother?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #50
Magnaflux
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
I suppose you think all Mexicans pick strawberry's for a living and all blacks are criminals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Yeah, that's exactly it. I've never seen or heard of 10 white, black, or hispanic people living in an apartment wearing knock off sneakers and clothes now that I think about it.

I expect you live in a three bedroom, two bath, one basement with your mother?
No need to work your maxi pads out of place. It’s just a simple and accurate observation having previously lived in an exclusive Asian community for years. I was in a 2 bedroom/2 bath with my GF and dog. My Asian neighbors on the other hand, had 8 people living in a 1 bedroom/1 bath. Meanwhile they have more money than Croesus. This was a common theme throughout the building and neighborhood, which is why I am moved. Garbage like you wouldn't believe, hot water that was constantly running out. Pulezzz.. you can’t deny the truth, even if it offends your delicate sensibilities.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #51
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

I'm not offended, I'm white and spend my money on frivolous items, then shove it in the faces of the poor and homeless. Just thought it would be more fair to include all the other races, because no one wants to feel left out.

Fixed my maxi pad, it was a little cockeyed due to the tampon in the way.

'Merica.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #52
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Damn dude.

That being said, I don't know about asians in "Dix Hills", but the Asians in South OC are usually cream of the crop. They're the ones who are usually paying 100% cash for the homes, driving Aventadors, or SL's.

I think what you're describing would cover all poor migrant families of any race, not any inherent frugality trait for Asians.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #53
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #54
Magnaflux
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Damn dude.

That being said, I don't know about asians in "Dix Hills", but the Asians in South OC are usually cream of the crop. They're the ones who are usually paying 100% cash for the homes, driving Aventadors, or SL's.

I think what you're describing would cover all poor migrant families of any race, not any inherent frugality trait for Asians.
Dix Hills is in Long Island NY. Used to live in Flushing, NY(exclusively Asian). Poor migrant families don't generally have Mercedes and Land Rovers parked outside, while dressing and living like they are below the poverty line. They do tend to pay cash for their apts/homes, but the cheapness about everything else and cramming 10 people in a space meant for 2??? I mean c'mon.

Again just my observations based on my experiences. I don't want anyone playing the race card getting me booted.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #55
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Dix Hills is in Long Island NY. Used to live in Flushing, NY(exclusively Asian). Poor migrant families don't generally have Mercedes and Land Rovers parked outside, while dressing and living like they are below the poverty line. They do tend to pay cash for their apts/homes, but the cheapness about everything else and cramming 10 people in a space meant for 2??? I mean c'mon.

Again just my observations based on my experiences. I don't want anyone playing the race card getting me booted.
This is severly racist against Asians and everything they have fought for over the years. I can't believe you would degrade an entire race like that. I hope a mod sees this and asses the situation correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #56
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep

Quote:
Whatever. I am sure you are typing to them right now.
Got them on speed dial since some knob jockey called basketball players a bunch of monkeys in another thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:17 PM   #57
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:

I can't really say what you're saying is inaccurate, but I would not go as far as to say this is a "general trait of asians".

That being said, I used to own a home in a fairly prestigious neighborhood in Mission Viejo in South OC. The average home price in the area right now is $1,000,000 to $2,500,000 easily.

Our direct neighbors owned a 3,600 sqft home, and they were Vietnamese. One day I caught up with the old guy who owned the home outside in his front yard, we both lit up a cigar (he gave one to me) and we just started chatting. He told me there were 12 people living in the home; him, wife, 3 kids, 4 grandparents, and two siblings. He even converted one of the garage spaces into a bedroom. He told me how a lot of neighbors were giving him grief over all the cars he parked in the street, and how he got a lot of HOA complaints because of the bedroom in the garage, and just having 6 cars for his one 5 bedroom house.

He didn't want to break any rules, be a prick, or bad neighbor in general, but he was the only one in his family who ever made anything out of himself (he owned over a dozen gas stations in the LA Metro area). So culturally, he was expected to help all the less fortunate members of his family, especially his parents and in-laws who were poor and living in apartments in run down parts of North OC. It wasn't because he was frugal, it was just culturally how he was going to respond to the situation. He didn't have enough money to buy all of them houses but he wanted to help out his family, and moving them into his house and supporting them financially was the best way he could do it.

So like I said, it's hard to say "they're all cheap" without talking to the person directly and figuring out what their situation actually is. Otherwise, it's just a blanket statement based on opinion and subjective observations, and I could see how people could construe such a statement as racist.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #58
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Got them on speed dial since some knob jockey called basketball players a bunch of monkeys in another thread.
      03-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #59
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

If we're gonna make racist remarks, could we at least make it more specific as to which race you are referring to? Saying "Asian" pretty much means 4.2 billion people or about 60% of the world population.

Are you referring to Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai, Koreans, or even east Indians or are you too ignorant to tell the difference? I bet we all look the same and speak the same language don't we?

Last edited by Nkc; 03-19-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #60
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

I don't think I've ever known a truly cheap Asian person except in college, where everyone is cheap by circumstance.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #61
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
But to be fair in my time at the old place, there was also a Hispanic family that had like 8 people in a one bedroom too.

lol NY people who think the rest of the country is like that wrt asians

don't go to any college campus in CA you'll be in for a shock
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #62
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
First off I wasn't making racist remarks. I was commenting about my own direct experiences. Second, I am not referring to 60% of the world. I am referring to Asians in Flushing NY which are predominantly Korean and Chinese.

Stop trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
That's ok, I appologize for being the same race as some really nasty, bad mannered people. I feel the same way about all the local people in H.K. Seriously they have no manners!

Just, we are coming, and we have $$$ ... just kidding

I can think of more Asians that I dislike than non asians .. but of course I don't want to be pulled out of my car and beaten because I am easy prey .. which is why I would live in smog choked Beijing than ever, ever step foot again in New York. Big fucking worm eaten Apple... so 19th and 20th century.. there's discrimination for you
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #63
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
That's ok, I appologize for being the same race as some really nasty, bad mannered people. I feel the same way about all the local people in H.K. Seriously they have no manners!

Just, we are coming, and we have $$$ ... just kidding

I can think of more Asians that I dislike than non asians .. but of course I don't want to be pulled out of my car and beaten because I am easy prey .. which is why I would live in smog choked Beijing than ever, ever step foot again in New York. Big fucking worm eaten Apple... so 19th and 20th century.. there's discrimination for you
Why are you up at 3:15am on a Wednesday night? I guess all us Asians are so cheap that we can't afford sleep lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #64
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Why are you up at 3:15am on a Wednesday night? I guess all us Asians are so cheap that we can't afford sleep lol.
Or maybe he is doing someone else's homework?

j/k of course.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #65
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Or maybe he is doing someone else's homework?

j/k of course.
That or he is working overnight selling bootleg CD/DVD
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:22 PM   #66
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

if he is in Hong Kong as it says then that would have been 3.15pm not am. Time stamps are based on your location not theirs.
Appreciate 0