E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > 111 in a 55.

Closed Thread

03-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

111 in a 55.

On the I65s to 440w interchange. Saw the cop cross over some grass to come get me but lost him in the crowd as I entered the 440. Thought for a minute I was safe until he appeared on my ass end. I guess he kept his lights off and stayed to the right so I wouldn't see him coming and contemplate running.

At least he was pretty calm. I was happy not to hear "driver, exit your vehicle." He just leaned in the window and we chatted, never even shined a light on me. Probably helped that I was still in a shirt and tie.

In the end he was pretty clear that he was only writing me for the speed and not a reckless. Then he tells me I have three options:
First, plead guilty. Then he recommends I don't do that and chuckles as he says it will add at least 8 pts to my license.
Second, request a court date and plead not guilty.
Third, plead guilty and opt for traffic school. I ask him how much that reduces the violation and he said it makes it disappear.

What?! I more than double the speed limit, do traffic school, possibly even online, and the ticket just goes away? I have a hard time believing this, especially since the paperwork says "Plead guilty but apply for Defensive Driving School"

Anyone familiar with this process in TN?

As an aside, I've been pulled over many times with my mustang, integra, MDX, RSX, etc. Since getting the M3 a couple years ago this is the first time I've actually been nabbed in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #2
miramar
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 JB M3

Well at least you're living up to your screen name.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Used to be if you had a clean record, and haven't opted to use the traffic school card within a certain amount of time, you could opt for traffic school and the entire ticket would disappear.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, it just gets the point off your licence, you still need to pay the fine, at least in California I think this is how it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc
On the I65s to 440w interchange. Saw the cop cross over some grass to come get me but lost him in the crowd as I entered the 440. Thought for a minute I was safe until he appeared on my ass end. I guess he kept his lights off and stayed to the right so I wouldn't see him coming and contemplate running.

At least he was pretty calm. I was happy not to hear "driver, exit your vehicle." He just leaned in the window and we chatted, never even shined a light on me. Probably helped that I was still in a shirt and tie.

In the end he was pretty clear that he was only writing me for the speed and not a reckless. Then he tells me I have three options:
First, plead guilty. Then he recommends I don't do that and chuckles as he says it will add at least 8 pts to my license.
Second, request a court date and plead not guilty.
Third, plead guilty and opt for traffic school. I ask him how much that reduces the violation and he said it makes it disappear.

What?! I more than double the speed limit, do traffic school, possibly even online, and the ticket just goes away? I have a hard time believing this, especially since the paperwork says "Plead guilty but apply for Defensive Driving School"

Anyone familiar with this process in TN?

As an aside, I've been pulled over many times with my mustang, integra, MDX, RSX, etc. Since getting the M3 a couple years ago this is the first time I've actually been nabbed in it.
Were you running a radar detector?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Malibu1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Charger HC, Backdraft Cobra

So you are a Doc and speeding like that? Are you trying to keep the Hospital busy?
      03-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

You're pretty lucky. I think in NC anything 15 over on a 55+ road is an automatic reckless. I think traffic school may take the DMV points off, but your insurance company is going to bang you pretty hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Wow, in IL you would have been arrested and the car impounded. 20 over and you're done here.

I've done traffic school here twice. Both times the ticket was wiped off my record after 6 months. Here you have to plead guilty, pay the fine, then pay the fine amount again to cover the traffic school. So it gets pricey, but your record gets cleared.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Please don't go 111 in a 55, OK? Be smart.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread