E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How cheap are you?

03-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #67
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
if he is in Hong Kong as it says then that would have been 3.15pm not am. Time stamps are based on your location not theirs.
Uh no. 3:15pm would put that guy somewhere in the mid-west. It's actually very early in the morning in HK.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #68
deadmn1337
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Uh no. 3:15pm would put that guy somewhere in the mid-west. It's actually very early in the morning in HK.
Your right, i looked to quickly and saw am instead of pm
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #69
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnaflux View Post
No need to work your maxi pads out of place. It’s just a simple and accurate observation having previously lived in an exclusive Asian community for years. I was in a 2 bedroom/2 bath with my GF and dog. My Asian neighbors on the other hand, had 8 people living in a 1 bedroom/1 bath. Meanwhile they have more money than Croesus. This was a common theme throughout the building and neighborhood, which is why I am moved. Garbage like you wouldn't believe, hot water that was constantly running out. Pulezzz.. you can’t deny the truth, even if it offends your delicate sensibilities.
No maxi pad here. Just annoyed at your over generalize statement. You lived in an Asian community and so you speak for all Asians?

I happen to be Asian and I grew up in a house with 8 people but the house has 8 bedrooms and two maids quarters. My parents immigrated to this country and grew up poor as dirt.

Like someone else stated, it may be the mindset of immigrants or those who came from less fortunate upbringings but to say it's an Asian thing is ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #70
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
So culturally, he was expected to help all the less fortunate members of his family, especially his parents and in-laws who were poor and living in apartments in run down parts of North OC. It wasn't because he was frugal, it was just culturally how he was going to respond to the situation. He didn't have enough money to buy all of them houses but he wanted to help out his family, and moving them into his house and supporting them financially was the best way he could do it.
From what I have seen, this right here is why.

It's not a cheap thing, it's that culturally they seem to feel more responsible for taking care of family members who are elderly or not as well off as they are. I'd say that is quite honorable, and more people, regardless of their cultural background, should take care of their elders and needy family members like this.

But what do I know? I'm just a dumb, bible-thumping redneck from North Cackalacky.
      03-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #71
bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
From what I have seen, this right here is why.

It's not a cheap thing, it's that culturally they seem to feel more responsible for taking care of family members who are elderly or not as well off as they are. I'd say that is quite honorable, and more people, regardless of their cultural background, should take care of their elders and needy family members like this.

But what do I know? I'm just a dumb, bible-thumping redneck from North Cackalacky.
This is always a sticky situation - no one would criticize the guy for helping his family. But everyone agrees to HOA covenants when they move into a neighborhood. What if grandma brings her ex-con child molester grand kid to live in her house, next door to your family, because she thinks he has no where to go? What if your neighbor collects cats from a "kill" shelter, to save them? What if your neighbor buys salvaged cars and rebuilds them in his driveway, to give to a charity when finished? Who gets to draw the line?
      03-20-2014, 05:25 AM   #72
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbmw View Post
This is always a sticky situation - no one would criticize the guy for helping his family. But everyone agrees to HOA covenants when they move into a neighborhood. What if grandma brings her ex-con child molester grand kid to live in her house, next door to your family, because she thinks he has no where to go? What if your neighbor collects cats from a "kill" shelter, to save them? What if your neighbor buys salvaged cars and rebuilds them in his driveway, to give to a charity when finished? Who gets to draw the line?
I agree whole heartedly with this. As an early immigrant to Canada in the 80's where there was only one other yellow face in my class, i cringe when I think of the hordes that have taken over Vancouver and parts of the west coast.
But this may be personal, as I have always been taught to have manners (except on internet message boards) and be extremely considerate of those around me.
Which is why I don't like travelling overseas much even on holiday, as you will just be classified as "one of those" spitting, shouting yellow hordes.
I do not apologize for this if you are yellow and find this racist, because you need to get some manners - your BMW ain't made by yellow people (yet) and you should respect what got you to this place and time and it's not just your father's hard work or business savvy (or inscrupulous corruptibility) - that's just money and it can't buy you technology to save your life or even improve anything about it. Don't forget the Opium wars. Chinese pride died long ago and you're retared if you don't know that.
Appreciate 0