E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2015 Countryman S

08-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

2015 Countryman S

I know it's a Mini, and BMW >> Mini but it's still not a BMW.

Aside from that, my significant other is looking into a Countryman S. Anyone have any experience with them ? We test drove both the regular and the S version and the S does drive better but, we can't justify the price difference.

She's also looking into the X1...

Meanwhile I'm bleeding money here.

Help. Her lease is definitely going to go way over the mileage if we don't get her a true "commuter" car.

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

We leased my wife an X1 this past February, the 4cyl xdrive base with the ultimate package + lighting package and wood trim with 10k mi/year came in at just a touch over 400 a month after paying the tax and fees up front. No cap cost reduction. Sounds like you'll need more miles but similarly equipped I imagine the X1 is a better deal. She loves it and I don't mind driving it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344 View Post
We leased my wife an X1 this past February, the 4cyl xdrive base with the ultimate package + lighting package and wood trim with 10k mi/year came in at just a touch over 400 a month after paying the tax and fees up front. No cap cost reduction. Sounds like you'll need more miles but similarly equipped I imagine the X1 is a better deal. She loves it and I don't mind driving it.
That's what I'm thinking too, my SO's car right now is a lease and she is looking to purchase a car. If we're going to lease the X1 is definitely a better option, but buying...if both are loaded we are talking about a 7-8k difference. I have to look into this since if we are going to lease it will be the 3rd lease on my name and the second one on hers. We will also need at least 15k/year.

Thanks for the input.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

With that many miles per year I'd be leaning towards diesel. BMW seems to be running some deals on the leftover 2014 328d xdrive. Even if the monthly came out higher you'd make up for it in fuel savings. If you're buying I'd look for a CPO 2013 328i xdrive, depending on how open she is to a used car... At least that way you don't have to worry about mileage. Need more space? Passat Diesel, no AWD yet but if you get snow swap wheels in the winter. Should come in way under budget.

Neither the X1 or the Countryman offer much added utility compared to a 3 series unless you knock the seats down.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Do you need the size of the Countryman? The new F55 five door Cooper with the three cylinder is just about as fast as the Countryman S, but clearly smaller.

I'd take that over our X1 any day.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:24 PM   #6
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
My wife has a 2012 Countryman S. Imo it is a great car. I love driving it and it is comfortable around town or on highway trips. I especially like the extra zip that the S brings to the table. So far in a year and 12k miles of ownership it has needed nothing but gas and an oil change. There is also the added benefit that it has made my wife be interested in cars. She has told me more than once that her next car might have to be another one.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke344 View Post
With that many miles per year I'd be leaning towards diesel. BMW seems to be running some deals on the leftover 2014 328d xdrive. Even if the monthly came out higher you'd make up for it in fuel savings. If you're buying I'd look for a CPO 2013 328i xdrive, depending on how open she is to a used car... At least that way you don't have to worry about mileage. Need more space? Passat Diesel, no AWD yet but if you get snow swap wheels in the winter. Should come in way under budget.

Neither the X1 or the Countryman offer much added utility compared to a 3 series unless you knock the seats down.
I don't think she's into VW. We looked into an Audi A6 for a commuter and she commented that it looks like something her father would drive, we also looked at the A3 and I thought it was cheaply made and she didn't want an S4. These were lease options. As far as another F30 goes I don't think she likes that, considering that I have owned 2 F30 within the span of 1 year; pretty sure she's bored with it.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #8
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Do you need the size of the Countryman? The new F55 five door Cooper with the three cylinder is just about as fast as the Countryman S, but clearly smaller.

I'd take that over our X1 any day.
I actually just looked into the F55, I was not aware that they are rolling out a new mini to replace the clubman. She likes the regular hardtop cooper but, the only gripe with that was it was a 2 door and it will be hard for her to take her parents around (well it's impossible on her lease right now since it's a 2 seater so she ends up taking the family car which is gigantic for her). I saw the photos and the spec and it looks really promising. I'm not a big fan on how the X1 look, if I end up with the X1 it will mainly due to the price point and the practicality.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
My wife has a 2012 Countryman S. Imo it is a great car. I love driving it and it is comfortable around town or on highway trips. I especially like the extra zip that the S brings to the table. So far in a year and 12k miles of ownership it has needed nothing but gas and an oil change. There is also the added benefit that it has made my wife be interested in cars. She has told me more than once that her next car might have to be another one.
That's what she thinks. She likes the countryman because it's zippy and it has room for people in the back so she can charter her parents around, but it's not as gigantic as our family car. Although Red Bread mentioned a great option on the F55 4 door hardtop which I actually like. Either way I need to figure something out soon before her lease goes way overmileage and becomes too far upside down, or it breaks down.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:31 AM   #10
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Owned one for 3 years, couldn't wait to get rid of it. Buy a Golf, it's a much better vehicle in every respect.

Mine was a Cooper D, on sports suspension and 18" wheels, the ride is harsh and uncomfortable, not something you want to drive long distance, there is plenty of wind noise and tyre roar.

You have to pay extra for items like a flat boot floor. The plastics are hard and brittle, think 1990's Korean quality, not 2000's BMW which it should be. The cars develope loads of squeaks and rattles. The ergonomics aren't that good either, the steering wheel obscurers either the top or bottom or the single gauge, the electric window switches are in a stupid location, as is the ipod connection.

The Cooper S is a gutless wonder, it's heavy, if you go all4 this blunts the performance even more. A Fiesta ST runs rings around one, a Golf GTi is significantly faster and if you really want AWD the Golf R is the answer to the question which the Cooper S and JCW fail to answer.

These aren't good MINI's, BMW is killing the brand, they're just another car these days. Buy a Golf.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansiepooh View Post
I don't think she's into VW. We looked into an Audi A6 for a commuter and she commented that it looks like something her father would drive, we also looked at the A3 and I thought it was cheaply made and she didn't want an S4. These were lease options. As far as another F30 goes I don't think she likes that, considering that I have owned 2 F30 within the span of 1 year; pretty sure she's bored with it.
If she though the A3 was cheaply made what the hell is she going to think about the Countryman? IMO the A3 is better screwed together than any BMW under a 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
If she though the A3 was cheaply made what the hell is she going to think about the Countryman? IMO the A3 is better screwed together than any BMW under a 5 series.
I thought the A3 is cheaply made. I hate the interior. It's in the same class as a CLA, she didn't mind the A3. She actually liked the interior of the Countryman and the A3. I don't like VW, which is ironic since I had both the S4 and the S5 2 years ago. If anything I may go off to the deep end and get her a Macan; I've been hearing good things about them. Her current car's convertible top went out yesterday evening. Fun Fun.

Appreciate 0