E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got x2 Tickets From One Officer :(

04-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Post Got x2 Tickets From One Officer :(

as you guys know i am only 17 in the state of ny. i always go down to jersey for gas but the gas station is on the border line of ny and jersey. anyhow today i got gas in jersey was driving home and a guy braked really fast and i reacted by going through a double yellow line to avoid him. a cop from behind pulls me over while im still in nj state. (PS: with a junior license i can only drive up to 9pm and it was about 1.30am and in ny state only) to make a long story short, not only did this officer let me go with a warning or a lecture, not one but two tickets. i mean for a first offense of a new record kid...jebus. anyhow i got one for reckless driving and other for touring something can't read his hand writing. basically no more then $200. but was it really my fault?

my question is this. once i pay the ticket off, do the cops in both NJ and NY still have a record that i got pulled over in the past or does it completely disappear? will insurance go up and any points on license?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
The offense does not disappear unless you take it and win in court. Insurance rate hikes...depends on your insurance company. Its reasonable to assume that it will be.
      04-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Joe Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2015 X5 x35i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
as you guys know i am only 17 in the state of ny. i always go down to jersey for gas but the gas station is on the border line of ny and jersey. anyhow today i got gas in jersey was driving home and a guy braked really fast and i reacted by going through a double yellow line to avoid him. a cop from behind pulls me over while im still in nj state. (PS: with a junior license i can only drive up to 9pm and it was about 1.30am and in ny state only) to make a long story short, not only did this officer let me go with a warning or a lecture, not one but two tickets. i mean for a first offense of a new record kid...jebus. anyhow i got one for reckless driving and other for touring something can't read his hand writing. basically no more then $200. but was it really my fault?

my question is this. once i pay the ticket off, do the cops in both NJ and NY still have a record that i got pulled over in the past or does it completely disappear? will insurance go up and any points on license?
I would either meet the prosecutor ahead of the court date and negotiate a deal, or hire a traffic attorney and let him handle it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 03:19 AM   #4
mvbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

Check this post. Fight the ticket.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54897
      04-07-2007, 03:39 AM   #5
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Dont just try to pay off the fees. There will be record under ur name for like 3 yrs. I will suggest u by hiring a lawer to gt rid of it. The lawer fees will cost a little bit more, but it worth it. Once u gt record, the insurance rate go up crazy(caz teenager) and it will be hard to gt rid of the next ticket during the record period. The fees will also goes way higher too.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
as you guys know i am only 17 in the state of ny. i always go down to jersey for gas but the gas station is on the border line of ny and jersey. anyhow today i got gas in jersey was driving home and a guy braked really fast and i reacted by going through a double yellow line to avoid him. a cop from behind pulls me over while im still in nj state. (PS: with a junior license i can only drive up to 9pm and it was about 1.30am and in ny state only)
The question is, what were you doing driving at 1:30 AM if you can legally only drive until 9 PM?

Don't mean to be a hard azz, but there are reasons why there are way too many accidents involving newly licensed drivers and that is why with the junior license, you are restricted to 9 PM. When my kids got their licenses, even though they were under probation for 6 months according to NYS, as long as they are under my insurance and using my vehicle, they are always on probation. That means, if they happen to get caught violating the traffic code, they lose their privileges and how they get around becomes their problem and expense.

I'm not saying that maybe you were following the other car too closely and didn't leave yourself enough room to avoid making the maneuver that required you to cross the double yellow line (which in it's self is a bigger problem because you potentially put yourself into oncoming traffic), but if you followed the rules that came with your license, there would not be any discussion about this at all.

Obtaining a driver's license is a privilege, not a right. If you abuse that privilege, be a man and take what you deserve. Maybe there won't be a next time if you can learn from your experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
335iNut
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
The question is, what were you doing driving at 1:30 AM if you can legally only drive until 9 PM?

Don't mean to be a hard azz, but there are reasons why there are way too many accidents involving newly licensed drivers and that is why with the junior license, you are restricted to 9 PM. When my kids got their licenses, even though they were under probation for 6 months according to NYS, as long as they are under my insurance and using my vehicle, they are always on probation. That means, if they happen to get caught violating the traffic code, they lose their privileges and how they get around becomes their problem and expense.

I'm not saying that maybe you were following the other car too closely and didn't leave yourself enough room to avoid making the maneuver that required you to cross the double yellow line (which in it's self is a bigger problem because you potentially put yourself into oncoming traffic), but if you followed the rules that came with your license, there would not be any discussion about this at all.

Obtaining a driver's license is a privilege, not a right. If you abuse that privilege, be a man and take what you deserve. Maybe there won't be a next time if you can learn from your experience.
+1,000,000! I get so tired of these kids acting like they are entitled to drive their bimmer any way they want and that the cop is an asshole for issuing a citation when he sees someone breaking traffic laws.

Reckless driving for swerving around someone who stopped suddenly? Seems like you must have been hauling ass when you got brake checked otherwise the cop would have just popped you for following too closely.

BTW, a reckless driving conviction will double your insurance if you're with a large carrier; probably get you dropped if you're with a small one.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Hound Passer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i Convertible

You'll have to fight it if you want it to go away and don't want your ins. to go sky higher. But I don't want to give you hope that this one will be easy.

Factors going against you:

1) You are 17 and violating the terms of your license - shows disrespect for the law. Unless you were out because of an emergency it will be tough to explain.

2) You were following too close. Legally you are required to keep enough distance between you and the car ahead so that if it does suddenly stop you can too. If the car just pulled in front of you from another lane that would be a different issue.

3) You don't have much of a driving record. DA's usually decide whether to plea bargain based on a driving record. Someone with a clean record for 3 years is easier to get a break compared to someone with two violations in the past 4.

4) Cop was an eye-witness.

Main factor going for you in your case: no bodily injury or property damage.

My advise is to find a traffic lawyer that is best friends with the DA where your case will be heard. He might be able to convince him to make a deal to either drop the case entirely or at least the moving violation. Be contrite.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
AndreTheGeek
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad ///PWNS U, Maliboo! View Post
You needz 2 get a lawya and play yo age up so you aint studderin like a small fry when the man cums around. haha. Jus trippin, you gots 2 pay 2 be a playa. Get yo moms leagal on that bitch an dis will be a thing of the past, playa. Or be a ho an get slapped out you map.. haha, aint no playaz ridin the bus, you best come correct.
Can't we just build a translator into this forum so I don't have to go to Babelfish?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:20 AM   #10
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreTheGeek View Post
Can't we just build a translator into this forum so I don't have to go to Babelfish?
If you don't want to go to Babelfish, you can try this:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #11
no_exit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: R 1150 R

Just have mommy and daddy pay the fine and be done with it.
      04-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #12
f30er
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85

Garage List
Haha! my 1st ticket i got when i was 17, i was driving my bright red Jeep Wrangler. I got pulled over at 2am driving around blasting my music and havin a good time. I got:
1) out past curfew
2) driving with a minor (my friend was with me who was 17 also)
3) disturbing the peace (2 12's + no soft top=really loud jeep)
4) obstruction of view (for sale sign in bottom right corner of windshield)

I talked to the judge who asked what happened. I told him everything honestly and always answered with "Yes Sir" & "No Sir." He said the officer was probably having a bad night, dropped all violations except the for sale sign which was a $74 fine...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #13
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I hope you know when you drive past the legal time in your case 9pm, you are breaking law. You are essentially driving illegally. That means in more cases than not the insurance will not cover you or your parents in this case if you get in an accident since it was done illegally.
      04-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #14
lance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
You needz 2 get a lawya and play yo age up so you aint studderin like a small fry when the man cums around. haha. Jus trippin, you gots 2 pay 2 be a playa. Get yo moms leagal on that bitch an dis will be a thing of the past, playa. Or be a ho an get slapped out you map.. haha, aint no playaz ridin the bus, you best come correct.

WTF did you just say??
      04-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #15
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreTheGeek View Post
Hahaha!!!

Post of the Day!!

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #16
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
was it your fault? i would say yes ...
1. You already broke the law by driving at 1:30AM
2. You must have been moving too fast or too close to have reacted by going over the yellow line

Id say pay the tickets ... dont think you can win this one in court ... but it never hurts to try

... we all were 17 sometime in our lives and lets be honest we were not perfect angels ... even if we were not lucky enough own a 335i at that age (maybe snuck out our folks car and had a joyride ... i certainly did it)

my first car was an ///M3 at 20... 27 going on 28 now ...in those fews years i matured, almost lost my life in one incident and after that i changed my ways ....granted boys will be boys, but with these high performance cars you need to mature quickly when you drive ... respect your machine

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #17
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Thanks K-Fed.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #18
BmwOwnsMe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325 xi

I have a good attorney and he's cheap! He handled all my tickets/charges and saved my ass BIG TIME! I should be sitting in jail, but now I'm typing on e90post.lol. Give his office a call 201 488 2620 ext 15. Ask for Richard Potter. Tell him Cyril sent ya. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 10:56 AM   #19
e92sam
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [0.00]
My question is this...

Quote:
...my question is this. once i pay the ticket off, do the cops in both NJ and NY still have a record that i got pulled over in the past or does it completely disappear? will insurance go up and any points on license?
My question is this: why do you even care?
Giving your parent(s) the benefit of the doubt, they would be concerned if you were driving illegally (they certainly will be when thier insurance premium goes up). They would be disappointed that you made up a lame story to cover the fact you were out cruising 4 hours after your driving curfew (you don't have to lie to be cool).
Good thing for NJ that the cop was concerned enough about your disrespect (for the reason you are not supposed to drive after 9) that he wrote you up for everything he could think of.
So, if you didn't care about these things, why do you care about insurance and a few points on your license?
You want advice on how to get over on the system and get out of this?
Don't try to act mature in front of adults that can influence the outcome of your situation.
They will see through it and drop the hammer on you.
      04-07-2007, 11:42 AM   #20
SP330
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 19 M5

You really need to keep distance between vehicles, it feels good to have enough room to stop and not worrying about swerving into places you aren't even sure are open.

I'm pretty sure if you're adamant about the swerving for safety you can get that charge dropped. The past-curfew and out of state is a definite no-no, so pay that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #21
Blue328xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Did I miss something, is "gas" a new codeword? Must be some real good "gas" if you drive to another state to get it.

04-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #22
e92sam
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Garage List
2007 e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue328xi View Post
Did I miss something, is "gas" a new codeword? Must be some real good "gas" if you drive to another state to get it.

Dude, got some "gas" from Northern California. It's killer. :rocks: