E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What credit cards do you have/do you like them?

12-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
zke36
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Montego 335

What credit cards do you have/do you like them?

Just checking with people to see how everyone likes what they have. I just got the Chase Saphire card and havent really tried out its benefits yet. So far I have:

-Bloomingdales
got this when i was 16 and cant close b/c its my oldest card by many years and it would kill my credit to shave those years off my history)

-PNC Bank Credit Card
Closing this account. worked as any card but no perks.

-American Express Platinum
Have it through my work. Easily one of the best things I have in my pocket. Bailed me out of trouble endlessly, from "express" lines and lounges at airports to the Concierge service, this thing has been amazing.

-Chase Sapphire
Good credit pays off and this is on its way now. Well see how it is.

Porsche 935DP
'07 Montego E92 335i
BMS CAI - PROcede V4

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Have two open accounts. One I love, one I really don't care for.

1) State Farm Bank: This one I love. Low interest rate (8%) and extremely great customer service. They've never raised the rate on me, consistently up my credit line with timely payments, and do whatever it takes to have my business and keep me happy. They've even transferred debt from other cards with higher interest onto this account for free.

2) Capital One: This bank tries to rip me off. They've had alright customer service, but they've increased credit rates during this recession from 12% to over 20%. They did that with only a discreet letter, something very shady in my eyes. They go on sprees of calling me from blocked numbers to try and entice me to use their card (I carry a $0 balance), but there's no way I'm doing that when it's 20%+. They also will not stop sending me blank checks in the mail that coincide with my account. I'm pissed about it because anyone could take those checks and go spend money from my card without my knowledge!
      12-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

American Express Platinum

American Express Blue
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

I have Gold Amex, its alright because some places here dont take credit or amex period. Mostly debit like especially food places

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Morgan Stanley world card. Everything's tied to my stocks anyway.
      12-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Closed my Yamaha card after refinancing my bike, still have Menards Big card and Best Buy card for the 0% interest deals they offer sometimes for larger purchases.

Have 3 debit cards (HSA account, US Bank and Bank of the West) that also work as credit cards.

Company card is a Visa, hardly ever use it since I don't travel too much.

I have Capital One Platinum, which is alright, points are not that great compared to % cash back so I don't use this too much anymore.

Main card is a Capital One World Card with 2% cash back on gas a groceries and 1% on everything else.

I have never paid a cent of interest on any of these, I always pay my main CC off monthly and the special ones before the promotion ends (paid hardly any interest on my Yamaha card even, they don't offer 0% AFAIK).

To the OP - Closing any CC account will negatively effect your credit if it is in good standing. One of the factors looked at is your available credit, which drops if you close a CC.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Leilani
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Crimson Red 128i

Amex #1 that offers 5% instant cash back on cell phone bills, which saves me around $15/mo.

Amex #2 that used to offer 5% Costco rebate on gas (recently went down to 4%), 2% on eating out and 1% on everything else.

I don't keep any balances and only use credit cards that give me something in return.

2008 128i Convertible
Crimson Red - Black Top - Savannah Beige Boston Leather - Gray Poplar Trim
Step - Premium - Sport - Cold Weather - Navigation - Comfort Access - Xenon - iPod/USB
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
- AMEX Blue
- Shell Platinum MC
- Bank of America AMEX
- AT&T Platinum MC
      12-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
DGM M5C
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Dark Graphite M5C

Garage List
2022 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
To the OP - Closing any CC account will negatively effect your credit if it is in good standing. One of the factors looked at is your available credit, which drops if you close a CC.
I hate when people say this. Your credit score is based on what percentage of your available balance is being used. If you are at 0% usage, closing some accounts is still going to leave you at 0%, so you are not going to be affected by it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas335i View Post
I hate when people say this. Your credit score is based on what percentage of your available balance is being used. If you are at 0% usage, closing some accounts is still going to leave you at 0%, so you are not going to be affected by it.
You are wrong/right on that. Your credit score is made up of many different variables. The available credit ratio won't be affected, but 15% of your credit score is made up of the length of time you have had a credit line for. If you have one long standing credit line and the rest are new ones you will destroy this part of your credit score by closing the older card.
      12-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Just have my US BANK Visa Credit Card. (2% reward program) Just collected 50$ credited to my debit account.

US BANK VISA Debit. 1% back on purchases

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

Mainly AAdvatange Platinum, and AMEX Platinum
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #13
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

bank of america amex accolades (their semi-equivalent of the amex centurion/black card) and a bank of america visa signature. i've been meaning to cancel the visa for a while. it sucks. the amex, on the other hand, is a great card. personal concierge and BOGO airline tickets "buddy travel".
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #14
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

BOA M/C
Apple's Juniper Visa
Victorias Secret VIP Angels Credit Card (My first card, have had it for years)
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 12:22 AM   #15
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

I have Capital One Visa Platinum.

I hate it.

Reasons why:

- I could not activate the card without signing up for stupid services that I did not want. I told the guy that I did not want to sign up for any services such as a credit report when I get my card (a credit report that did not exist at the time because I had no credit score) for $6.99 a month and non-payment protection for $0.99 for every $100 spent. He got confused and said that I had to, and if I didn't want to get charged, I would have to cancel them right away when I get the info packets. So, I did. Did not get charged a penny.

- Their website is incredibly deceptive. They do not let you know when your billing cycle ends. I had to call customer service to have them tell me when it ended because nothing on the site told me what time of the month I would no longer be charged on that cycle. I had my mom take a look over it just in case I was completely missing something; she couldn't find it, either.

- They do not tell you how much you owe for that specific month until you hit the "pay now" button. It just lumps your entire balance together because they want you to pay both cycles at one time so that they get your money sooner, even though your current cycle did not end.

- They try very hard to get you to do a balance transfer or pay the minimum. They have an arrow pointing to the minimum balance as if it's what you should pay. For people who aren't good with finances and are very new at credit cards, I can easily see how they would get into debt.

- Their website goes down TOO often. It is not uncommon for me to not be able to connect to their site at all.

- Their APR is average. I've never seen it go down or up. I pay in full every month and try not to exceed 33% of my total credit, so that may have something to do with it not moving.

By reading the fine print, asking questions, and understanding everything, I've avoided all of their deceptive tactics.

Just don't get them - Capital One sucks. They aren't convenient in any way. I'm going to be trying to get a Citi card soon since their website is organized incredibly well and will ditch this Capital One card. I'll be researching what happens to my score if I close out this card and get a new one before I even apply, though. Dunno entirely how that works.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #16
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Mastercard. 12% fixed rate and it will never go up because I got it through the bank I used to work at as a staff offer. Not really any other benefits that are useful to me anyway.
      12-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
s4mula
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I have Capital One Visa Platinum.

I hate it.

Reasons why:

- I could not activate the card without signing up for stupid services that I did not want. I told the guy that I did not want to sign up for any services such as a credit report when I get my card (a credit report that did not exist at the time because I had no credit score) for $6.99 a month and non-payment protection for $0.99 for every $100 spent. He got confused and said that I had to, and if I didn't want to get charged, I would have to cancel them right away when I get the info packets. So, I did. Did not get charged a penny.

- Their website is incredibly deceptive. They do not let you know when your billing cycle ends. I had to call customer service to have them tell me when it ended because nothing on the site told me what time of the month I would no longer be charged on that cycle. I had my mom take a look over it just in case I was completely missing something; she couldn't find it, either.

- They do not tell you how much you owe for that specific month until you hit the "pay now" button. It just lumps your entire balance together because they want you to pay both cycles at one time so that they get your money sooner, even though your current cycle did not end.

- They try very hard to get you to do a balance transfer or pay the minimum. They have an arrow pointing to the minimum balance as if it's what you should pay. For people who aren't good with finances and are very new at credit cards, I can easily see how they would get into debt.

- Their website goes down TOO often. It is not uncommon for me to not be able to connect to their site at all.

- Their APR is average. I've never seen it go down or up. I pay in full every month and try not to exceed 33% of my total credit, so that may have something to do with it not moving.

By reading the fine print, asking questions, and understanding everything, I've avoided all of their deceptive tactics.

Just don't get them - Capital One sucks. They aren't convenient in any way. I'm going to be trying to get a Citi card soon since their website is organized incredibly well and will ditch this Capital One card. I'll be researching what happens to my score if I close out this card and get a new one before I even apply, though. Dunno entirely how that works.
+1
Their site is always down.

I like my Citi AA World Elite Card. Already used the miles for a trip to the virgin islands. They also lower my APR a few points after a couple of months.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

American Express Platinum

Bank of America Visa Signature.

I'm surprised more of you don't use a Visa Signature card? Basically an Amex Plat equivilant.
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
I'm surprised more of you don't use a Visa Signature card? Basically an Amex Plat equivilant.
no way. i've got a bofa visa signature and that card SUCKS! nowhere near amex platinum/any top-tier card. i just may cancel it today while i'm thinking about it. the benefits are awful, the interest rate is average, mine has a $99 annual fee (and i'm even a private wealth management customer!), and the rewards system sucks. if you are a private bank/private wealth management customer, ask your account manager about an accolades card. they waive the exorbitantly high annual fee for private bank customers, plus the benefits rival that of amex centurion with (at least mine) a fixed 9.9% APR.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #20
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Amex Centurion

J/K

Amex Blue and a couple of Chase cards
      12-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Amex Centurion

J/K

Amex Blue and a couple of Chase cards
I used to have an Amex Plat and Gold. Since I don't travel as often as I used to because of residency, I canceled my Plat and only use the Gold (basically only my wife uses it, unless I'm buying toys for the car). I'm contemplating of getting a BOA Plat Visa so I don't have to use my debit card.
      12-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #22
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
no way. i've got a bofa visa signature and that card SUCKS! nowhere near amex platinum/any top-tier card. i just may cancel it today while i'm thinking about it. the benefits are awful, the interest rate is average, mine has a $99 annual fee (and i'm even a private wealth management customer!), and the rewards system sucks. if you are a private bank/private wealth management customer, ask your account manager about an accolades card. they waive the exorbitantly high annual fee for private bank customers, plus the benefits rival that of amex centurion with (at least mine) a fixed 9.9% APR.
Hmm, mine has no annual fee, rewards are pretty strong, and rate is around 9.99%
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0