E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > FML I Failed A Class (Quick Q On College As Well)...

12-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

Just retake the class and on your transcript next to the class there will be an "R-Retake" and your new grade.....thats how my University works
      12-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #24
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Always read the sylabus and keep it with you.
I got a D+ in Economics retook the class and got a B. Your new grade will erase your old one. Best of luck

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #25
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Always read the syllabus and keep it with you.
I got a D+ in Economics retook the class and got a B. Your new grade will erase your old one. Best of luck
It will replace your old grade for computing your GPA, but the old grade will still be on your transcript.

I am going to be blunt here. I fucking hate it when students don't read the syllabus. It is not like I write that shit just to be an asshole; I write a syllabus to make sure you know what is required of you to perform well in my class. Things like providing a doctor's note for being sick isn't there to punish people who are legitimately sick, they are there to prevent people from abusing "being sick" to take a late test. It sucks, but if I let one person slide, next thing I know I am inundated with "awe, man, come on now."

Three things piss me off more than anything else. The first is to ask me where my office is or what my phone number is (both of which are on the syllabus, which is conveniently located on the web if you lost the hard copy.) The second is to miss class (or god forbid, a test) without prior notification. The third is to assume that you are somehow a "special case" and you deserve different treatment than the other students who did everything that is required of them.

I'm sorry you had to learn the lesson the hard way, but your life isn't over. Talk it out with the professor and he might change it to an incomplete. If he doesn't, one F won't kill you if you show sustained performance in the rest of your classes.

And, for the love of shitting dick nipples, read the god-damned syllabus.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #26
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
why do students never read the syllabus?? teachers make it for a reason and you shouldve just went to the doctor if it says you need a doctor's note. I dont see where you think that by skipping a test day your teacher is going to believe you and let you take the test cause you said you were sick...

EDIT: By the way, depends on your school and their policy, but some schools do not replace your failing grade with the new. I would check your schools academic policy rather than reading what people write on this board.
      12-22-2009, 09:18 PM   #27
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
It will replace your old grade for computing your GPA, but the old grade will still be on your transcript.

I am going to be blunt here. I fucking hate it when students don't read the syllabus. It is not like I write that shit just to be an asshole; I write a syllabus to make sure you know what is required of you to perform well in my class. Things like providing a doctor's note for being sick isn't there to punish people who are legitimately sick, they are there to prevent people from abusing "being sick" to take a late test. It sucks, but if I let one person slide, next thing I know I am inundated with "awe, man, come on now." ...
Yeah I kind of agree with you. I'm on the fence about that. It sucks when people ask things that they should know or have easy access to. However, sometimes there are just too many things going on or that they're confused so they'd rather ask. Besides, being a professor means that one should educate/show them the way and not yell at them all the time. On the other hand, they're college students so they should know better. So yeah both sides have valid arguments.

I had a professor who attached a piece of paper to the end of the syllabus and told the student to read it and return that piece of paper. It's worth some points too so that motivated students to read the damn thing (or at the least they can't come back and say they didn't read it). He would reiterate that most answers are on there so only ask him if they're confused on something or if some info is missing.

PS- I remember one time I totally misread something and thought that the final exam was on a later date than it was. I found out one day after I was supposed to take it so I freaked the hell out and called my professor. Luckily he had other classes taking their finals the next day so he told me to come in and take it. Boy from that point on I made sure I read the dates over at least 10 times.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #28
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Failed courses will never go away. The 'F' is on your transcript, permanently.

You can retake the course and get a better grade, but the F stays there - there is no hiding it from anyone.

If the course is important for your major you better retake it and ace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #29
335R1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

If it makes you feel better I got a whole letter grade off from my Management Issues in Law enforcement class. It's a policy making class at the chief of police level. I originally had an A-, but because of attendance, I went to a B-. I'll bite the bullet. No one to blame, but myself. Everything was in the syllubus, but I didn't follow it to the t so I was willing to accept it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #30
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I'm not gonna even read what others are saying.
And I believe you were really sick on the exam day but thing is that there are way too many people who are sick on the same exam day and it had been happened for decades now. You know. Professors are sometimes sick of same excuses and you just got unlucky.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #31
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

I had something stupid like this happen to me once...at first the professor said i couldnt make up the exams...then after many different meetings with him, he finally agreed that my final would be worth double (to substitute for my missing midterm score) ...

Regardless, the final was ALOT harder than the midterm....
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:05 AM   #32
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

sour grapes, man. im truly sorry.
if it makes you feel better, i received an A- in my intro economics class when i was 99% sure that i was going to receive an A. i was fucking furious... and I still am...
      12-23-2009, 02:35 AM   #33
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

That sucks man, as far as I know both grades will show up on your transcripts but the better grade will be used on your GPA.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:50 AM   #34
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I feel you man
I once failed a class with a 59.8% (if u calculate it)
the teacher could have rounded up to a 60 instead of rounding down to a 59 and flunking me...
      12-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #35
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
Three things piss me off more than anything else. The first is to ask me where my office is or what my phone number is (both of which are on the syllabus, which is conveniently located on the web if you lost the hard copy.) The second is to miss class (or god forbid, a test) without prior notification. The third is to assume that you are somehow a "special case" and you deserve different treatment than the other students who did everything that is required of them.
Dude, chill. I understand you're a professor but man take it easy. You were a early 20's college student one time. You yourself prolly didn't care about your first two issues if you did them to your previous profs.

1. You know the kids care about other things more then where your damn office is or what your phone number is. It takes what maybe 30 seconds to just give the info or refer them to your syllabus of website. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

2. I understand, you want to teach the kids and you think their disrespecting you by not showing up. That's not the case. You skipped a class before, if you say you didn't then your lying. EVERYONE has. For whatever reason you or your kids just didn't want to go. Not that you should take the "who cares" stance but damn, take a step back. You got paid if their there or not. It's their lose for not showing up, their taking the grade hit, their missing the assignment. No skin off your back. Take a deep breath and move on.

3. You have a valid point. I'm with you here.

If you get visibly aggravated about these pet peeves of yours now you can understand why some of your students may dislike you. If a student still wanted teachers riding their backs and being shitty then they would have never left high school. College is about higher learning and learning about yourself and growing up. The Professors are there to assist in that process, not be dicks about asking where their office is.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #36
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I dont understand why teachers should even take baby steps with these kids. You expect kids to be adult-like by the time they are a 20 something college student so they should know whats on the syllabus.

Its not like the teacher makes up these syllabuses for fun; they actually have important information that the student should be expected to know. Plus, how busy are college kids really that they can't take 30 seconds to log onto blackboard or dig out their syllabus from their backpack?
      12-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #37
madman23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40, 1988 325 IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
i know this is 100% my fault blah blah, and what is done is done but i just have to rant.

im so fucking pissed right now... we just got our semester grades and i did fairly well like i normally do B range w/ 1 or 2 As.

anyway my accounting II class is made up of 3 tests and 1 project. the project i got a B+, 83 1 test, and a 80 on 3rd test. i only missed 2 classes too so my attendance was great.

on the day of the 2nd test, i missed it because i was sick. i felt like shit, it was cold and raining that day too. so i assumed that i would e-mail my teacher tommorow to let him know why i wasn't there and when i can make it up. he e-mails me back saying talk to him during next class.

BIG FUCKING MISTAKE!!! i speak to him next class (tues) and explain to him what went on and why i missed the test. he tells me no doctors note no exam. i tell him i just took some left over antiotics and slept it over the weekend (test was on thurs) so no need for me to go to doctor.

he says look at your sylabus and it says students missing exam must either let teacher know ahead of time or bring a doctor's note. and so i tried to explain my situation that i felt like shit that day and if i could i would have come in to take the exam. but he wouldn't budge. like seriously, i wouldn't miss a test if i really couldn't be there.

so me assuming hes like the other teachers that lets students make up a test no problem was a FUCKING HUGE MISTAKE. if i knew i needed a doctors note i would have went and just got one. normally teachers just let you make up but this mother fucking is something else i tell you.

so today when i got my semester grades, I FAILED HIS CLASS. from 1 fucking test so now i have to retake the entire class AGAIN just from that 1 test. JEBUS MOTHER FUCKING GOD... im so pissed right now.

anyway once i retake the test does the failed course go away on my transcript and get replaced with the new grade i get? do colleges get to see that i failed his class when i transfer?
Man, I'm on the same boat as you. My course outline doesnt say anything about missing exams so he said because it doesnt say anything if you miss it it's an automatic 0. failed that class, and here it is I thaught this was my last semester.
      12-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #38
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
PS- I remember one time I totally misread something and thought that the final exam was on a later date than it was. I found out one day after I was supposed to take it so I freaked the hell out and called my professor. Luckily he had other classes taking their finals the next day so he told me to come in and take it. Boy from that point on I made sure I read the dates over at least 10 times.
The exact same thing happened to me the first semester of my freshman year, except I showed up at the right place and right time a day late and a totally unrelated final was scheduled. I went bananas, immediately wrote the prof an email and (because I had an A in the course) he let me take the final in his office. Like you, I also was neurotic about finals schedules from then on.

I don't understand how the OP has made it to (and through at least part of) college, woke up sick that morning and thought it was a good idea not to give advance notice to his professor or see if the syllabus had a policy for missing exams - which they all do.
      12-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #39
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
when in doubt i always just pop a few left over antibiotics and i have alot of them too lying around .
Don't do that. On the off chance you don't have a virus and instead have something bacerial, you could help to breed a resistant strain.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #40
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Seems like a really stupid mistake to me. Obviously you should either make sure by reading a syllabus, or asking your professor, if that is the case. I can't imagine skipping a midterm for any reason and then just expecting a teacher to let me make it up. That is a huge risk to take, even if you are fairly sure they will let you off.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #41
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Your Prof just took a dump on your gpa. Enjoy
      12-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #42
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
There was this one time I was fuking this chick and I really didn't feel like putting a condom on, hell ALL the other girls are on the pill, so why not this one. So I go back to her the next day and explain that it just felt too good and I thought I had seen her pop something before. Turns out she is not on the pill and I have a kid coming. FURIOUS.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #43
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
There was this one time I was fuking this chick and I really didn't feel like putting a condom on, hell ALL the other girls are on the pill, so why not this one. So I go back to her the next day and explain that it just felt too good and I thought I had seen her pop something before. Turns out she is not on the pill and I have a kid coming. FURIOUS.
Oh snap- then what happened after that? Come on you can't let us hanging here...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #44
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

If you want to take your chances, get in touch with the dean and explain the situation to him while admitting you made a mistake. If you can convince him you were really sick then he might pull some strings, i dunno. Good luck.
Appreciate 0