E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > FML I Failed A Class (Quick Q On College As Well)...

12-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Angry FML I Failed A Class (Quick Q On College As Well)...

i know this is 100% my fault blah blah, and what is done is done but i just have to rant.

im so fucking pissed right now... we just got our semester grades and i did fairly well like i normally do B range w/ 1 or 2 As.

anyway my accounting II class is made up of 3 tests and 1 project. the project i got a B+, 83 1 test, and a 80 on 3rd test. i only missed 2 classes too so my attendance was great.

on the day of the 2nd test, i missed it because i was sick. i felt like shit, it was cold and raining that day too. so i assumed that i would e-mail my teacher tommorow to let him know why i wasn't there and when i can make it up. he e-mails me back saying talk to him during next class.

BIG FUCKING MISTAKE!!! i speak to him next class (tues) and explain to him what went on and why i missed the test. he tells me no doctors note no exam. i tell him i just took some left over antiotics and slept it over the weekend (test was on thurs) so no need for me to go to doctor.

he says look at your sylabus and it says students missing exam must either let teacher know ahead of time or bring a doctor's note. and so i tried to explain my situation that i felt like shit that day and if i could i would have come in to take the exam. but he wouldn't budge. like seriously, i wouldn't miss a test if i really couldn't be there.

so me assuming hes like the other teachers that lets students make up a test no problem was a FUCKING HUGE MISTAKE. if i knew i needed a doctors note i would have went and just got one. normally teachers just let you make up but this mother fucking is something else i tell you.

so today when i got my semester grades, I FAILED HIS CLASS. from 1 fucking test so now i have to retake the entire class AGAIN just from that 1 test. JEBUS MOTHER FUCKING GOD... im so pissed right now.

anyway once i retake the test does the failed course go away on my transcript and get replaced with the new grade i get? do colleges get to see that i failed his class when i transfer?

Last edited by hl0m4n; 12-22-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

ouch... that really sucks that your teacher wont let you sub in another exam to make up for the one u missed. unfortunately, i think your transcript will still indicate that u failed the class before even if u do very well in it the 2nd time round... what you can do is talk to the teacher or your student advisor bout this. sometimes they have the power to make sure that it doesnt appear on your transcript.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Most likely your new grade will replace your old grade. I don't know if colleges will see that you retook a course though. I did that with a thermodynamics class and changed my grade from a C- to a B (I should have realized that college isn't too bad if you actually tried).

Funny; I overslept and missed a lab final once. My TA just said something along the lines of, "this is completely wrong, but come in to another lab (later in the day) and take the final then. Just don't tell anybody."
      12-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Damn that's messed up, you try taking it to the administrator?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Knowing that you were missing a test, and that you had yet to make it up. If it were me, I probably would have talked to him before he turned in his semester's grades, when your teacher had a chance to change them. Once the grades are in the system your a bit SOL.

I've found even the most dick teachers will work with you if you put out the effort and show them you care. You being surprised that you failed would fit into the category of not caring enough. Whether it was not enough to go see him or to look up when the final grades were due, doesn't really matter.

From his perspective the only similarity between you and someone who just skipped class that day is wanting to make up the test. Take the class again during the summer, most classes are simpler then anyways.
      12-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

trust me i tried real hard going back and forth during class and through e-mails trying to explain why i couldn't be there that day. i guess you can say i just gave up on trying to reason with him after 2 weeks of trying back and forth and can say i was expecting to fail the class but i was really hoping he would see i tried to a take the exam again, and b offered to do another project, etc.

i was hoping i showed enough effort for him to pass me without a test and based on my previous grades, attendence, and project. and i was assuming he would understand that failing me and having me retake the class from this 1 test would be dumb as shit cause i will be relearning the exact same shit and taking the entire class again for that 1 test.

god damn it fuck this teacher and i have to see him again next semester.
      12-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
That's how college is... not very forgiving. I don't know how sick you were but to the professor's credit, his illness policy was right there.
      12-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
TMNT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP

I'm surprised you didn't email the teacher before hand and let him know you couldn't come in to take the test.

What the heck made you think you can come in the next day and think everything would be ok?

It's like work, you don't show up the next day with an explainnation as to why you weren't there the day before and expect everything to be hunky dory. You got to call in man...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
stumpy221
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi sedan

sorry dude the situation sucks. Although some prof dont follow the sylabus to a T, it should be expected that they will. At this point i believe there is no way to get the grade dismissed short of going to your student advisor and dean. GL
Get out and drive
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

TMNTs got a point, you shouldve emailed him before. some teachers (well most that ive had) are very forgiving and i can totally see where youre coming from but that just sucks. your new grade should replace it. i failed my math class fall 08 and took it again fall 09 and got a B+ but they both show on my Unofficial Transcript

sorry man
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

i knew i should have e-mailed him the day of the test and i still regret waiting to e-mail him the day after the test. it was really unexpected i felt good np the day before but when i woke up the next i just felt like complete shit, my body was cold and i just stayed in bed and said hell, ill just e-mail him tommorow.

i guess i assumed wrong and it def bit me in the ass big time. other then this i only missed like 2-3 other tests and i e-mailed the teachers next day or even just spoke to them next class and they just allowed me to take it in which why i assumed my accounting teacher would be the same like the others.

yea man when i log onto my school website thing and look at my unofficial transcript it says i failed but on the official when i transfer it still shows i failed it before?
      12-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
ideliver
Major
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E71 X6M, E46 M3

Garage List
2006 BMW E46 M3 'vert  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2011 BMW E92  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
Sorry to break it to you...the "F" stays there.

I am on the admissions committee for my medical school so I see hundreds of transcripts/yr. When you retake a class, both grades show up. How your school computes your GPA is explained in your student handbook. I suggest that you read it.

Sorry for you to have learned a tough lesson this way.

By the way, antibiotics do not work on viruses.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ damn even worsens my situation if the F does stay there. shit man. im not sure what i had i just felt really cold and shitty that day was real dizzy too. when in doubt i always just pop a few left over antibiotics and i have alot of them too lying around .
      12-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Idk how other schools work but I can drop a class up until the 10th week of the semester. It show up as a "withdraw" on the transcript, which still doesn't look good but is at least better than an F. Luckily I haven't ever done that but alot of kids do, which is why barely anyone ever actually fails a class
      12-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

You can try talking to him again. Just be nice and make sure he knows that he has the power. I.E. say something along the line of "I know I messed up and should have brought a doctor's note for you. I was just too sick to think straight. I understand that you can fail me but would it be the right thing to do?" Perhaps also tell him you only need a C. Hopefully he will reconsider at that point.

But even if the grades are already turned in, you can still change them. I had a class where the teacher said I was missing a paper so that brought my grade to like a D or something. I emailed him and he said to email him the paper. He then changed the grade and requested a change in the system so I was good to go. I think most teachers are very accomodating- they usually don't wanna see a student fail. When all else fails, talk to the admin/counselor/etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #16
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

i would have withdrawn but it was way past the withdraw period. my first semester of college when i was a freshmen i withdrew out of 5 classes b/c my grandma passed but other then that i never withdrew and this is my first fail.
      12-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
Idk how other schools work but I can drop a class up until the 10th week of the semester. It show up as a "withdraw" on the transcript, which still doesn't look good but is at least better than an F. Luckily I haven't ever done that but alot of kids do, which is why barely anyone ever actually fails a class
Yeah it depends on the school. Like at this community college you can drop on the 10th week or so of a 12-13 week quarter. At the State U I went to, however, you have like a week or two to decide.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
lib
Major
Rep
Drives: <This space for rent>

Ugh. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you but I can't really blame him. When I was a TA I would have ripped you a new one for doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
anyway once i retake the test does the failed course go away on my transcript and get replaced with the new grade i get? do colleges get to see that i failed his class when i transfer?
It won't simply vanish if you take the class again. Unless you're able to work a little magic in the near future it will be on your transcript forever.

Your best option is to speak with the professor and see what your options are. I can think of two off the top of my head but they're both long shots at this point. If you had spoken with him earlier you may have been able to work something out.

1) See if there is any additional work he will accept after the fact that will allow you to pass (albeit, with a horrible grade). I saw this happen ONCE but good luck getting him to agree to that. I can almost guarantee it won't fly and its probably better to not even mention it.

2) See if you can get an incomplete on the condition that you will retake his class and actually show up to everything. I've seen this occur more often than option 1 and while it's a complete pain in the ass to take the class a second time it will remove the failing grade on your transcript. Since you've taken the class once already and did fine on the exams you'll probably ace it the second time and it may actually boost your GPA.

You should also speak with your school's Registrar's office. Every school has different rules in situations like these and just because we tell you how something might work at one school it may not work that way at another.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
OnfiyA
Registered
Rep
Drives: buspass

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
ouch... that really sucks that your teacher wont let you sub in another exam to make up for the one u missed. unfortunately, i think your transcript will still indicate that u failed the class before even if u do very well in it the 2nd time round... what you can do is talk to the teacher or your student advisor bout this. sometimes they have the power to make sure that it doesnt appear on your transcript.
Lol, what college/university lets anyone go without a legal documentation for someone skipping an exam/test? You do the wrong citings like MLA instead of APA they count that as plagiarism resulting in a zero

I'm amazed they would even consider "subbing" if you didn't have a note there's about 300 people in one class and people will pull out any excuse, what does your excuse make it better than someone else?

Even in high school they required a doctor's note if you were to be absent from a test, your college/university must be soft, thread starter/OP should be mad at yourself for being stupid. First day of class they said "I don't care what excuse you have for skipping my tests; sick, funeral I need documentation, that means you have to go to whoever and if it's a funeral get a death certificate!"

Sorry if I sound rude, just sounds stupid how any post secondary school would allow/consider anyone to skip a test without documentation and expect to it to be "alright" because prof's are suppose to care, we're suppose to be adults, take responsibility
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #20
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
That sucks. But unless you're applying to a big 4 accounting firm, some wealth management places, trying to go to a top tier MBA program or trying to become a doctor I doubt anyone will even care or notice.

Flame me if you want. But for a majority of people the grades on your transcripts don't matter. Not 1 place I applied to after I graduated asked for transcripts. They just cared if I graduated.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #21
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
i would have withdrawn but it was way past the withdraw period. my first semester of college when i was a freshmen i withdrew out of 5 classes b/c my grandma passed but other then that i never withdrew and this is my first fail.

Damn, sucks to be in that situation, OP. I've had teachers like that before though. Best to always assume the teacher won't cut you any slack.

If you are able to show you were a good student in his class, maybe he'll be willing to give you a W or incomplete. Professors can usually replace a grade within a few months of the class. You'll still need to take the class again, but this softens the blow a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Quote:
so me assuming hes like the other teachers that lets students make up a test no problem was a FUCKING HUGE MISTAKE. if i knew i needed a doctors note i would have went and just got one.
See: syllabus. Your fault on this one, unfortunately.

Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always Always always

read the syllabus!

So many people don't read it and get stuck in that kind of situation.

Quote:
If you retake it and your grade goes up, then the teacher will go in and change the grade; your transcript will be updated and as long as you send it in when it is updated, they will not see that you failed the class.
Appreciate 0