E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > itunes question

10-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

itunes question

how the hell do you add all your songs from you old computer to your new one using your ipod? i try to follow the steps from the itunes site but it so damn confusing and i probably messed up somewhere because it didn't work
anyone know a simpler way?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

i wish i was computer smart
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

it's complicated to do it with the ipod. just get a flash drive
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

how do you do it with a flash drive? and this might be a stupid question but i have about 1.8gs of music would i need a flash drive with about 2gs of memory because i have one with 512mb...
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
you dont really need 2 gigs. You only need 2 gigs when you are lazy. Just save a quarter of your songs on the drive, transfer. Rinse repeat

Improvise! It goes a long way.
      10-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
RIP-A4
estudioG design+interiors
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

do a search on ilounge.com I've seen that topic before
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #7
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespeed117 View Post
you dont really need 2 gigs. You only need 2 gigs when you are lazy. Just save a quarter of your songs on the drive, transfer. Rinse repeat

Improvise! It goes a long way.
lol I'm lazy as hell but i don't feel like buying a new flash drive since that requires me going out and buying a new one.....see I'm lazy

but thats a good idea thanks, I'm gonna try it right now
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Gesler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

There is a forum on apple website that is extremely useful:
http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

I did this once before but it was a while ago. you basically have to change some settings on the iPod so you can use it as a flash drive. you can then transfer the contents in one go.
      10-10-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

google this: "iPodRip" it is software that you can find on the web that rips all your songs/movies/whatever off your ipod and puts them in itunes. I had to use this when my computer crashed...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aut0sh0cker View Post
google this: "iPodRip" it is software that you can find on the web that rips all your songs/movies/whatever off your ipod and puts them in itunes. I had to use this when my computer crashed...
+1 on iPodRip, although the newer Leopard version worked terribly when I last tried it. If anything, when you plug the iPod in, in the initial screen set it to enable hard disk use and then just find all the songs you want in the iTunes folder and drag them onto the iPod. If you want to keep your playlists, drag the entire iTunes folder. When you hook the iPod to the new computer, replace the entire iTunes folder that's there and your playlists will be there when you open iTunes.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
mrvuml
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i w/ZSP

Garage List
2008 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
how do you do it with a flash drive? and this might be a stupid question but i have about 1.8gs of music would i need a flash drive with about 2gs of memory because i have one with 512mb...
If your source PC has a DVD burner on it then use it instead of a flash drive. Thats what I did to transfer my son's iTunes content from his home PC to his laptop for college. Also, go to support section for iTunes on Apple's web site. Lots of good info and how-tos there.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
e92phreak
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i TiAg/E46 323i TiAg

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.50]
2000 E46 323i  [0.00]
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/0...ithout-itunes/

Copy or Transfer Music and Songs from iPod to PC and Computer without iTunes
To protect the copyrights of the songs, musics and videos stored on iPod and reduce piracy, Apple has make it difficult to copy or transfer the songs, musics, audio, videos and files that stored on iPod to personal computer (PC) or laptop notebook computer, by scrambling the file names of the songs on the iPod and telling the operating system that the files should be invisible to normal users, without any encryption involved in this iPod anti-copying mechanism.

iTunes allows only one-way synchronization of musics from computer to iPod, so if for whatever reasons such as need to reload your library on local hard disk due to desktop hard disk failure or buying new computer, you can easily copy back the video, music and song library from iPod on a Windows PC by following steps:

Insert your iPod to a Windows PC USB or FireWire port. (PC should runs Windows XP or other Windows operating system).
If your Windows PC still doesn’t have iTunes installed, skip this step. If iTunes is already installed and prompt a message on whether if you’d like to associate this iPod with this computer and deleting its content, click No. Or else you will lose your only copy of library on iTunes. Beside, ensure that ‘Enable Disk Use’ is selected.
Open My Computer or Windows Explorer, the iPod should be automatically detected as a portable hard drive.
Click on the iPod icon or the iPod portable hard drive letter to open the contents of the drive.
If you don’t see a folder called “iPod Control”, it’s hidden and invisible. To unhidden it so that it’s visible, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View, and then check (enable) the option “Show hidden files and folders.”
Open the “iPod Control” folder, and then the Music folder.
The Music folder contains the iPod’s music and videos, divided into folders. Copy the library to local computer hard drive’s My Music folder.
The files copied have unintelligible four-letter file names. To reveal the names of the songs and other data tags, add the files to the Windows Media Player or iTunes libraries or switch to “Tiles” view in Windows Explorer.
Rename the file if necessary.
Beside above manual ways to copy and transfer song library from iPod to computer, or import into iTunes, there are several third party program or more commonly called iPod Manager that has the iPod copying function such as SharePod (freeware) or PodPlus (shareware).

Similarly, in Macintosh running MacOS X or MacOS 9, it’s harder to show hidden files and folders. So these third party utilities with iPod copying will be useful to transfer files and music from iPod to PC’s hard disk and iTunes library.

For MacOS X, try Broken Helix and Rob’s iPod Exporter. For MacOS 9, try escapePod and iProber. Other iPod Manager or iPod song transfer utility for Mac include Senuti, iPodRid, iPod.iTunes and PodWorks. For Linux, try GUIPod. PodUtil will be able to works on both Windows and Mac platform.

The transferred music will be playable without any restrictions if the songs are ripped from CDs. If the songs or videos are bought from the iTunes music store, they will play in iTunes after you have “authorize” the computer. To authorize, try playing a purchased file. It will prompt you for your iTunes username and password. Up to five computers can be authorized at any one time.
07 E92 335i | TiAg | Step | Padl | Cmft | Alum Trm | PDC | Nav | Assist | Sat | Lthr | Prem | Sprt | Rear Splr | RDSport Quads | iPod | V1 | LT Refl | VS Clear Bra | OEM Lip | KWV2 | Mtec Sides | BBS LM-R
00 E46 323i | TiAg | 5sp | Sport | Roof | RDSport Cams | RDSport tune | RDSport Shift | Volk LE37 | M3 spoiler | PSS9 | SuperSprint | Brembo
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
RIP-A4
estudioG design+interiors
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=4719
      10-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
Universal_Magnetic
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

Put all your songs in an external drive and then just copy them on
      10-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #15
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
try to follow the steps from the itunes site but it so damn confusing and i probably messed up somewhere because it didn't work
pretty sure its the other way around
Appreciate 0