E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 335i in for service, new X5 loaner impressions

05-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
335i in for service, new X5 loaner impressions

I took my car in to have the radio head unit replaced to hopefully fix the problem where the Sirius radio doesn't always work, and to see if getting the latest progman fixes the loud humming/vibration at idle. The car was just as loud and the vibration just as bad when I got in it at the dealer, so I'm starting to think this may take more effor to be resolved. Time will tell whether they've truly fixed the Sirius problem.

I arranged with the dealer to get a new X5 loaner overnight to try out, and to see if my wife might want one to replace her Lexus RX330. She's been a Lexus fan for a few years now, so it was going to be a tough sell, but I figured that I might as well try.

The X5 was a 3.0si (I think that's what it was called) in titanium silver with black leather and medium wood trim. Sorry, I'm not one of those who run around writing in BMW color codes. It was well equipped with the premium, cold weather, nav, audio, rear entertainment, 3rd row seating, PDC, etc., with a sticker over $62k. Whew! That was much higher than I expected for a 6 cylinder X5, even with all of the options. I bought a 2001 X5 3.0 a few years ago for less than $50k with decent options, and would have guessed this one to come in at $57k at the most.

First, it looks pretty good, probably the best looking BMW to come out in the past few years besides the e92. It appears to have been spared most of the Bangle mangling, but then again it doesn't have a trunk so it couldn't get the nasty shutlines that plague the 5, 6, and 7. It's definitely larger than the first-gen X5, going from being close to RX-sized to something more like a Range Rover.

The interior was a mixture of good and bad, which surprised me in a $60k+ BMW. The steering wheel was clunky and cheap feeling, lacking the elegant shape and nice chrome trim that my e92 has. The seat leather didn't look or feel as nice as I expected, and I had to check the info sheet to make sure that it was leather. I don't know if this is the same leather in my e92, but if so then perhaps my use of Lexol has made mine feel and look much nicer.

The dash was huge compared to the e92, with some good and some bad features. Integrating the nav screen into the dash is better than the second hump in the sedans, but the uneven lines on the gauge hump and the bad transition to the nav section were surprising. Yes, I know that this sort of thing seems silly to some, but I like well designed interiors as I have to look at them.

The instruments were similar to the e92, but in some ways they felt "old" in comparison. For example, the MPG gauge looks very quaint if you've gotten used to the digital display in the e92, and the gauges themselves looked like they came out of a last gen 5 series. I was also disappointed by the start/stop button, which lacks the nice chrome ring that the e92 has. Those little details really cheapen the effect of the interior.

Interesting features include the glovebox, which opens top and bottom via a button on the side, and the storage areas. The glovebox confounded me for a while and I was starting to think it didn't have one. The storage areas are reasonably roomy, and I'd like to have the decent cupholders in the e92 instead of the flimsy (and silly looking) popout units. The armrest storage was decent, although it could probably be larger, and the rear entertainment screen can block it.

Now to the shift lever. I've hated the way this thing looks from the first photos, and I hate it even more after using it. I don't know how to say it in a "PC" way, but this things looks and feels like it was designed for women. It was quite tiny in my hand, and lacking in mass. It's probably fine for someone who drives around in automatic mode all day long, but it stinks if you put it into manual mode and shift. I was reminded of a videogame controller, and not one that provides feedback. I sincerely hope that BMW doesn't ruin the rest of the cars with this sorry excuse for a shifter.

The rear seats were comfortable, being roomier than those in the first-gen X5. They appeared a bit flat, but didn't feel bad for the short time I was in them. I don't believe that 3 adult males would want to ride there for very long, but it's great for 2 and fine for 3 kids. The 3rd row seats looked a bit silly, like something that was added-on from a catalog. These are truly kid-only, and calling the X5 7 passenger is a real stretch. I believe that BMW really needs an X7 or X5L, but even then it's not clear that they'd step up to being truly "full-sized" like the big American and Japanese models.

It drove well, and if not as sporty as the e92 it was far better than most SUVs. You can drive it like a tall car rather than a bulky SUV, and it has the proper road feel, turning, handling, and brakes that you expect from a BMW. It seemed more isolated than my e92, but wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be. I drove on the roads that I commute on plus a few others and felt it would make for a good daily driver.

The engine didn't feel especially powerful, although it wasn't quite as anemic as my first-gen X5 did. It accelerated decently, the engine seemed eager to rev, and it was overall a decent engine. I kept thinking how much fun it would be if it had the 335i engine, and hope that BMW plans on putting that in at some point. I think that the transmission is the same/similar as in the 335i, and it definiltely had a good feel to it. I've gotten used to the paddle shifters and would have liked those, especially given the terrible shift lever.

My wife didn't mind driving it, although I can't say she was inspired in any way. She found the shifter and the iDrive to be confounding, and she's not the type who wants to have to "learn" how to do something that is easy and intuitive on other cars. The iDrive is absurd, being much harder to use and slower than the nav unit in her Lexus. I didn't try out the "quick" buttons, but the very existence of those tells me that BMW made a mistake and are trying to fix the problems instead of going to a more sensible design.

Note that these are my opinions based on 24 hours with the X5. I'm sure it's great for some people, but it's not what I want or need. I imagine I could live with one if I had to, but I doubt that I'd choose one over other SUVs. A full-sized SUV has more utility, and I'd go for a Cayenne with the V6 if I wanted something sporty. I wish BMW the best with it, but they'll have to try harder with someone like me. The V8 might help, but at that price level there are lots of interesting options.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
flyga3
Geboren zu Fahren!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Garage List
Thanks for the write-up. My wife is thinking of upgrading her E53 as well, so this helps!
Marcus.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #3
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
The engine didn't feel especially powerful, although it wasn't quite as anemic as my first-gen X5 did. It accelerated decently, the engine seemed eager to rev, and it was overall a decent engine. I kept thinking how much fun it would be if it had the 335i engine, and hope that BMW plans on putting that in at some point.
It already has a 350 hp V8, I don't think it really needs the 335i engine, especially since the rumor mill says we may get an FI version of said V8 on the si model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
First, it looks pretty good, probably the best looking BMW to come out in the past few years besides the e92.....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyga3 View Post
Thanks for the write-up. My wife is thinking of upgrading her E53 as well, so this helps!
Marcus.
+1. Thank you, SkipSauls. My wife and I are also getting ready to get her into a new SUV at the end of the year, and the X5 is on our short list as well. With your thoughts in mind, I have a feeling we may end up opting for a loaded Acura MDX instead.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

yikes! that sticker price is withing spitting distance of a frugally optioned Cayenne S!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #7
bronco
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
+1. Thank you, SkipSauls. My wife and I are also getting ready to get her into a new SUV at the end of the year, and the X5 is on our short list as well. With your thoughts in mind, I have a feeling we may end up opting for a loaded Acura MDX instead.
If I was on the market for a regular sized SUV, I would have def. gone with the Acura MDX. It is the best of both worlds (Good poer with owesome handling, good ride quality, and exceeding reliability.

Oooops, this may be the best of all worlds
      05-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
excellent write up, although i wouldnt buy an X5 in the first place. but i really enjoyed my dad's old X5, the only real fuss i had was that the suspension was really stiff. i think it was a 2001 X5. LOVELY!
      05-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
It already has a 350 hp V8, I don't think it really needs the 335i engine, especially since the rumor mill says we may get an FI version of said V8 on the si model.
I think I drove a 4.8si 2 yrs. ago...the rear tires were huge! One prob with the new X5 is nobody but kids can fit in the 3rd row. 62k is in MB GL 450's rear radar, and that can haul people, unlike the X5.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
pittyinSC
Drives Smart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1968 Austin Mini Cooper 1380cc

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ha you could just get a Jeep Grand Cheerokee SRT-8 lol at around low 40's fully optioned but thats for the sporty type unless your going to drive it some
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

As much as I love Bimmers, I can't justify that kind of dough and only getting 3 liter six petrol motor... Now, if they had the 3.0d motor in it, that's a different story.. These heavy SAV's need torque more than they need horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #12
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

cool, thanks for the write up.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
Vegas335
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I Coupe MT

I'm waiting for the new Sequoia for my girlfriend that should come out end of this year/early next. That new 5.7 liter motor sounds like a beast in the new Tundra and the price is much better than an X5. Plus it is much larger than previous generations, maybe too big. My gf doesn't know the difference between a German or Japanese vehicle anyway, so might as well save some money on this type of purchase.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #14
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
I took my car in to have the radio head unit replaced to hopefully fix the problem where the Sirius radio doesn't always work, and to see if getting the latest progman fixes the loud humming/vibration at idle. The car was just as loud and the vibration just as bad when I got in it at the dealer, so I'm starting to think this may take more effor to be resolved. Time will tell whether they've truly fixed the Sirius problem.

I arranged with the dealer to get a new X5 loaner overnight to try out, and to see if my wife might want one to replace her Lexus RX330. She's been a Lexus fan for a few years now, so it was going to be a tough sell, but I figured that I might as well try.

The X5 was a 3.0si (I think that's what it was called) in titanium silver with black leather and medium wood trim. Sorry, I'm not one of those who run around writing in BMW color codes. It was well equipped with the premium, cold weather, nav, audio, rear entertainment, 3rd row seating, PDC, etc., with a sticker over $62k. Whew! That was much higher than I expected for a 6 cylinder X5, even with all of the options. I bought a 2001 X5 3.0 a few years ago for less than $50k with decent options, and would have guessed this one to come in at $57k at the most.

First, it looks pretty good, probably the best looking BMW to come out in the past few years besides the e92. It appears to have been spared most of the Bangle mangling, but then again it doesn't have a trunk so it couldn't get the nasty shutlines that plague the 5, 6, and 7. It's definitely larger than the first-gen X5, going from being close to RX-sized to something more like a Range Rover.

The interior was a mixture of good and bad, which surprised me in a $60k+ BMW. The steering wheel was clunky and cheap feeling, lacking the elegant shape and nice chrome trim that my e92 has. The seat leather didn't look or feel as nice as I expected, and I had to check the info sheet to make sure that it was leather. I don't know if this is the same leather in my e92, but if so then perhaps my use of Lexol has made mine feel and look much nicer.

The dash was huge compared to the e92, with some good and some bad features. Integrating the nav screen into the dash is better than the second hump in the sedans, but the uneven lines on the gauge hump and the bad transition to the nav section were surprising. Yes, I know that this sort of thing seems silly to some, but I like well designed interiors as I have to look at them.

The instruments were similar to the e92, but in some ways they felt "old" in comparison. For example, the MPG gauge looks very quaint if you've gotten used to the digital display in the e92, and the gauges themselves looked like they came out of a last gen 5 series. I was also disappointed by the start/stop button, which lacks the nice chrome ring that the e92 has. Those little details really cheapen the effect of the interior.

Interesting features include the glovebox, which opens top and bottom via a button on the side, and the storage areas. The glovebox confounded me for a while and I was starting to think it didn't have one. The storage areas are reasonably roomy, and I'd like to have the decent cupholders in the e92 instead of the flimsy (and silly looking) popout units. The armrest storage was decent, although it could probably be larger, and the rear entertainment screen can block it.

Now to the shift lever. I've hated the way this thing looks from the first photos, and I hate it even more after using it. I don't know how to say it in a "PC" way, but this things looks and feels like it was designed for women. It was quite tiny in my hand, and lacking in mass. It's probably fine for someone who drives around in automatic mode all day long, but it stinks if you put it into manual mode and shift. I was reminded of a videogame controller, and not one that provides feedback. I sincerely hope that BMW doesn't ruin the rest of the cars with this sorry excuse for a shifter.

The rear seats were comfortable, being roomier than those in the first-gen X5. They appeared a bit flat, but didn't feel bad for the short time I was in them. I don't believe that 3 adult males would want to ride there for very long, but it's great for 2 and fine for 3 kids. The 3rd row seats looked a bit silly, like something that was added-on from a catalog. These are truly kid-only, and calling the X5 7 passenger is a real stretch. I believe that BMW really needs an X7 or X5L, but even then it's not clear that they'd step up to being truly "full-sized" like the big American and Japanese models.

It drove well, and if not as sporty as the e92 it was far better than most SUVs. You can drive it like a tall car rather than a bulky SUV, and it has the proper road feel, turning, handling, and brakes that you expect from a BMW. It seemed more isolated than my e92, but wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be. I drove on the roads that I commute on plus a few others and felt it would make for a good daily driver.

The engine didn't feel especially powerful, although it wasn't quite as anemic as my first-gen X5 did. It accelerated decently, the engine seemed eager to rev, and it was overall a decent engine. I kept thinking how much fun it would be if it had the 335i engine, and hope that BMW plans on putting that in at some point. I think that the transmission is the same/similar as in the 335i, and it definiltely had a good feel to it. I've gotten used to the paddle shifters and would have liked those, especially given the terrible shift lever.

My wife didn't mind driving it, although I can't say she was inspired in any way. She found the shifter and the iDrive to be confounding, and she's not the type who wants to have to "learn" how to do something that is easy and intuitive on other cars. The iDrive is absurd, being much harder to use and slower than the nav unit in her Lexus. I didn't try out the "quick" buttons, but the very existence of those tells me that BMW made a mistake and are trying to fix the problems instead of going to a more sensible design.

Note that these are my opinions based on 24 hours with the X5. I'm sure it's great for some people, but it's not what I want or need. I imagine I could live with one if I had to, but I doubt that I'd choose one over other SUVs. A full-sized SUV has more utility, and I'd go for a Cayenne with the V6 if I wanted something sporty. I wish BMW the best with it, but they'll have to try harder with someone like me. The V8 might help, but at that price level there are lots of interesting options.
+1

Yes, it's a shame the qual of the new X5 seems less than the E92 coupe..
BMW really got it right with the 335i........probably explains why they never stay on the lot for long.....

I will say that with the perforated active seats the X5 interior is nicer but then again as you said once you get to that price level there are even better options from other competitors.

No doubt the new X5 will never be the wonder the first gen was....
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
Stinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [7.00]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
Too funny... I think you just described my household. My wife drives the same Lexus and loves it and also isn't the type to want to learn a bunch of new stuff. Plus she didn't like the visibility in the X5, not as good as the Lexus. She's right.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011 View Post
As much as I love Bimmers, I can't justify that kind of dough and only getting 3 liter six petrol motor... Now, if they had the 3.0d motor in it, that's a different story.. These heavy SAV's need torque more than they need horsepower.
I don't know how they did it, but on the old X5 with the 3 liter, torque was never a problem, but horsepower was sorely lacking. Good gearing I suppose? Never driven a new one so I can't compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0